Notices

How many boosted hondas are running a/c problem free?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 04:40 PM
E-thug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many boosted hondas are running a/c problem free?

My setup is:

eg hatch
gsr swap custom turbo kit with precision 600 hp intercooler
log manifold w/ 2.5 " DP wrapped w/ header wrap
a/c lines are wrapped with insulation

I have changed my compressor, condenser, drier, expansion valve and thermostat. I can blow thru all lines and the evaporator freely. (no restriction)
Still, my high side pressure is about 320 at idle and low side is about 45 at idle. When I rev the car past idle(>1500rpm) the high side climbs to almso 400 and the low side goes down to 35 or so. The high pressure kicks the compressor off and the system will not cool. It is retrofitted to 134a and I put a little over one can. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it just too much heat under the hood that the condenser can not cool? And yes the fan is comming on and blowing in the right direction.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:47 PM
H-T White Ops

Who did your AC conversion? Did you pull a good vacuum? Air in the system can cause pressures to fluctuate and even go through the roof like yours are. Under hood temps shouldn't really matter as long as your condenser fan is coming on. Your condenser gets rid of all the heat picked up in the compression process.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:16 PM
E-thug

Default Re: (IslandSi)

The conversion was done by a guy at the cadillac dealership, he said he put a vaccuum on the system for 45 mins.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i vacuumed mine down for like 2 hours just to be sure, have you checked to see if your high pressure low pressure switch is working, this will ause nothing but hot air to com eout and act like a fucked up compressor, plus put strains on it as well
Old 07-30-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How many boosted hondas are running a/c problem free? (boostismycrack)

I was running A/C with my turbo, and then I burned a hole in one of the AC lines, through the heat shielding today at the track

D'oh! Plan to fix it tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many boosted hondas are running a/c problem free? (ccfries)

I know what it is. Its the intercooler taking up all the air that usually goes to the condensor. Theoretically a condensor pulls out all the hot air from inside the cabin, its just not getting enough air to cool it down.

Try this. Hook up the pressure gauge, keep car at idle with hood up, AC on. Wait until it gets to full pressure and then spray the condensor with a cold blast of water and air. The pressure is going to go down almost instantly and dramatically. You will see that you need to get better fans on the condensor or cut more holes in the front bumper. Its not getting enough air flor. You can even get new a/c lines and move the condensor somewhere else under the car.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:13 PM
E-thug

Default Re: How many boosted hondas are running a/c problem free? (Turbo Chris)

I didi this today and it didi lower the pressure som e, but not dramatically, I had a pusher fan in front of the condensor, but this didn't help, I took it off b/c it was pushing my rear fan extremely close to my dumptube. My car is pretty crammed with **** so I don't know if I would have any room to relocate the condenser. Did you do this successfully on yours?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:15 PM
E-thug

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

the switch must be working, cause it shuts the compressor off at a/b 375-400psi.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many boosted hondas are running a/c problem free? (boostismycrack)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostismycrack &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car is pretty crammed with **** so I don't know if I would have any room to relocate the condenser. Did you do this successfully on yours?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No. what I do for now is i only use the a/c when its night, raining or over 65 mph to get enough air flow through the intercooler into condensor. Im going to cut some cool designs into the front bumper to allow more air...I have a GSR. Those slim fans suck imo, so i dont think that would work. I may spend the $100 and get an addiional 10" FAL fan maybe the dual one and run it in front wiht the holes in teh bumper. The FAL fans are good.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:45 PM

was the system opened up for any time at all?...ie: cracked line, leak, repair, etc. if it was the drier absorbed too much humidity. a long vacuum can sometimes fix it, but it's a fairly inexpensive part and should be replaced when the system is opened for an amount of time.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:49 PM
E-thug

Default Re: (scttydb411)

the drier is brand new.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 PM
E-thug

Default Re: How many boosted hondas are running a/c problem free? (Turbo Chris)

a slim fan is all that i can fit b/w the condensor and the intercooler, and it doesn't really fit, I can't bring myself to start cutting my freshly painted bumper out anymore.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy a smaller intercooler or air to water intercooler
Old 07-31-2004, 02:15 AM
H-T White Ops

You can also buy a water cooled condenser. They make them for commercial walk-in type refrigerators. If I have a similar problem to yours once I put my turbo kit in I'm going to repipe my AC system to work off a water cooled condenser, have a small resevoir and radiator somewhere in the car. Water cooled condensers are bad ***. Most efficient you can get.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:47 PM
E-thug

do you have any more info or pics of this?
Old 08-01-2004, 02:34 PM
H-T White Ops

Well, it's gonna be a lot of custom work IF I do it. Gonna see how my AC works once the turbo is put in. Basically a watercooled condenser is nothing more than a tube in a tube. The refrigerant flows on the inside tube while water is pumped around the outside of it through the bigger tube. Take this "O" and put this"o" inside of it. Refrigerant is in the small "o", and water surrounds that tube. Very efficient. Most efficient condenser you can get.
Anyway, you'd have to pull your old condenser out, run new lines to wherever the watercooled condenser is going to be, hook up a pump and resevoir somewhere and recharge the system. If you don't know what you're doing probably not something you want to tackle yourself. I'd have no problem with it because I do HVAC work for a living.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:08 PM
E-thug

sweet, I'm gonna try a few more things, but good to know its available.