Notices

how to make a homemade turbo custom made

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to make a homemade turbo custom made

hey, i never done a custom turbo build but plan to, i am very somewhat familiar about how they work and what parts there are involved, i have a civic ek with a d16y8, i really dont want much hp nor need it. All i want is over 180 hp or less than 220 just to be safe, i can swap the engine but its going to cost big $$$ which i cant get, a turbo is alot cheaper im guessing. But since i wont have alot of power i want reliability instead. I know all the basic parts for the build such as

turbo(should i get a used one or new one, ebay sells new t3, prob fake, are they any good, or should i get a used dsm turbo or something, and is a internal wastegate or external better for my application)
manifold
wastegate
intercooler(optional, but safer)
BOV
pipes and clamps ext
oil lines( ok i dont have an idea where they go or where they come from, any help)
down pipe
ok thats the easy part well actually would it be a good idea to buy these parts cheap knockoffs of ebay or buy them from trusted sellers.

and now the hard part, these i dont get, there about ignintion timing ext and fuel delivery, prob the most important parts.
I see people with fmu like 12:1 ratio, is this a good idea or not for a stock d16,
and for ignition people got the msd boxes can anyone give info about these as i dont know anthing about these. has anyone used them

i am basically a mechanic and can do anything at home so labor will be on my time.

ohh and i cant afford to pay for labor like ecu tuning, i hope i dont have to do that.

If anyone has done a turbo project for a civic with a stock engine, can the post a comment of the parts and everything, prices to plz.

i calculated all the parts off ebay and stuff for under 650 bucks, chaper if i buy used parts, i actually had a fmic i bought for 20 bucks(sold it for 70) for a starion conquest.

all i need to know is what parts other than the forced induction i need such as fuel and ignition, and is it safe. help a brother out

Old 11-24-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (v8killaz)

No offence but surely for a mechanic you seem to know a lot NOT.

Before someone else shoots you, you might want to read the pined basics thread under forced induction. Other than that, search and read other topics similar to your line of questioning. The questions been asked 100s of times and been answered even more.

Good luck ..
Old 11-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (yakuza)

If you dont have enough money to do it right then dont do it at all. It will cost you money to fix all your fuckups.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not a professional mechanic, i meant i can do engone swaps and transmission swaps u know, ohh and, thats exactly why i posted so if i can run like 5-8 psi safely on a stock engine
Old 11-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (yakuza)

turbo
a used turbo is good as long as you trust the buyer. try to avoid ssac stuff. it can (not always but most of the time) bite you in the ***.

manifold
if you are goin cheap, do an hf mani with an adapter. again try to avoid ssac.

wastegate
if you use an internally gated turbo, you wont need one, if you dont, then you need a manifold with provisions for an external gate.

intercooler(optional, but safer)
JRC intercoolers. or grab a used one, as long as it pressure tests ok, it should handle your power goal.

BOV
you can find deals on them. i have a scratched new rfl ill sell at a deal pm me for pricing.

pipes and clamps ext
http://www.verociousmotorsports.com make your own. fit it up with index marks, have a friend weld it. ebay plumbing kits are very universal

oil lines( ok i dont have an idea where they go or where they come from, any help)
fasturbo.com

down pipe
that might be a lottle tough, base that on your turbo / manifold combination

have at it.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (boostedcivicsir)

si iknow all the parts andwhere to get them but ineed help on the ignition and fuel supply how do i manage the engine with like 7 psi , i want a safe engine and a daily driver with enough power.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock ign is fine.
dont skimp on management.
spend a few bucks converting to obd1 and have the ecu chipped for crome or uberdata.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (boostedcivicsir)

wait insted of going through all that hassle cant i just upgrade my fuel pump and buy a 12:1 fmu or is that not safe
Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 PM

You could, but you're asking for good advice, so you're advised not to. Cheapest setup possible.

Manifold- HF manfold, T3 adaptor plate (found everywhere)

T3 turbo- junkyard, saab, volvo, late 80's thunderbird.

Oil lines- Free, in my signature.

Intercooler- used stock one, or ebay. They're so cheap these days it's a non issue.

bov- ebay. I've never used the knockoffs, but they seem to be just fine.

Injectors- dsm 450's. Cheap, found everywhere.

Downpipe/chargepipes- make them. If not, you can find them cheap, have them made.

Management- Spend time researching, or just send an ecu to xenocron.com. There's many others that do it as well.

For a simple 220whp, that's your cheapest bet. Anyone who tells you it could never be reliable because it's not the brand newbie jdm blingage is lying, or doesn't know what they're talking about. It'll be what you make it, and before you know it, you'll have a spun bearing in that Y8 too. That's a different post.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (stealthmode62)

thx alot can i get my ecu tuned by xnocron its a obdII if i do that ill be safe wid no pump or fmu, ohh and u said something about the bearings huh
Old 11-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v8killaz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thx alot can i get my ecu tuned by xnocron its a obdII if i do that ill be safe wid no pump or fmu, ohh and u said something about the bearings huh</TD></TR></TABLE>

convert to a obd1 ecu such as a p28 p06 p72 chipped and socketed for crome uberdata hondata, or neptune. chris @ xenocron.com or john vega @ phearable.net can do that all for you.

the 96 and up civics with the d16y8 are notorious for spun rod bearings, thats why stealthmode said you would have a spun rod bearing in your y8 in no time.

you have alot to learn, start out by reading the FAQ's at the top of the forced induction forum. trust me, itll help

Old 11-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (MeanGreenMachine)

thx alot
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If "cheap" is the idea, technically you don't even need an intercooler or a BOV. That would save you some money. I'd get a DSM turbo with an internal gate, a used log manifold, and a chipped ECU. Lines, hoses, and fittings will run you a little more. As the old time tested adage goes, you get what you pay for. Personally, I'd save the money and wait until you can do it right.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are going to need to spend money on ECU tuning NO MATTER WHAT and if you dont you will blow up your engine NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU BOOST! believe that. (coming from a guy who boosted his stock engine without paying for professional tuning... HELL i even spent the $300 on a wideband.)

l;ol i just realised if i spent the $300 on tuning instead of a wideband i would still have that motor running... oh well zc vtec time
Old 11-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (Specail Ed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Specail Ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If "cheap" is the idea, technically you don't even need an intercooler or a BOV. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't agree with this information even if I were paid to endorse it.. I'm sorry, but a BOV and intercooler are necessary for longer life of the engine. (Lower intake temps and EGTs will help save your engine,) and a BOV is needed to release the pressure that is b/w the throttle body and turbocharger. The pressure has to go somewhere, and unfortunately without one, the turbo will literally attempt to spin backwards from surge.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (TheShodan)

true dat even i know dat, goddam though i wanna get it done wit no tuning, and im not dat new to turbos, comp surge is all old stuff i need advice on tuning for fuel. welfarepc thx though forbletin me know i jus dontwanna attempt something and have trouble u know
Old 11-26-2007, 02:29 PM

The best people to give you advice on tuning is people who do it. Xenocron, Pherable, etc....

Old 11-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (stealthmode62)

yo stealth xenoron can tune my stock ecu right its obdII. what if i get it tboed like 8 psi and get a ecu chip like the one they give you with the turbonetics or greddy kits you know their already tuned for stock turbo applications just need injectors. would that be a good idea if i could get my hands on dat
Old 11-26-2007, 05:26 PM

You'll need to convert to obd1, and either read up on the subject or contact an ecu chipper.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v8killaz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo stealth xenoron can tune my stock ecu right its obdII. what if i get it tboed like 8 psi and get a ecu chip like the one they give you with the turbonetics or greddy kits you know their already tuned for stock turbo applications just need injectors. would that be a good idea if i could get my hands on dat</TD></TR></TABLE>

the systems that come with the greddy and turbonetics kits are piggyback systems, which i believe arent as good as obd1 rom editors such as hondata crome pro, neptune, ectune, etc etc.

most turbo hondas are running hondata or neptune or crome pro with their choice of obd1 ecu's whether it be a p28 out of a 92-95 civic ex coupe or si hatchback, or a p72 ecu out of a 94-95 integra gsr. if u want to stay obd2, i believe you can run the aem engine management system if you have the $ for it
Old 11-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aem managment is way to deep, yeah those piggybacks prob arnt as good as uberdata or hondata thx alot
Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how to make a homemade turbo custom made (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Couldn't agree with this information even if I were paid to endorse it.. I'm sorry, but a BOV and intercooler are necessary for longer life of the engine. (Lower intake temps and EGTs will help save your engine,) and a BOV is needed to release the pressure that is b/w the throttle body and turbocharger. The pressure has to go somewhere, and unfortunately without one, the turbo will literally attempt to spin backwards from surge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree fully with what you said, but they really aren't necessary. Greddy used to sell turbo kits without intercoolers. Lower intake temps won't help save your engine. If that was the case all cars produced would have either a cold air intake or an incooler if turboed. The cooler the charge, the more HP produced. Most cars running turbo's from the factory have neither. Low pressure of 7 psi or whatever this guy is aiming for wouldn't demand a BOV. All a BOV does is help prevent pipes from blowing off or as you said, pressure back into the turbo. Would I run a kit without either, no. But the guy is looking for cheap.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Specail Ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree fully with what you said, but they really aren't necessary. Greddy used to sell turbo kits without intercoolers. Lower intake temps won't help save your engine. If that was the case all cars produced would have either a cold air intake or an incooler if turboed. The cooler the charge, the more HP produced. Most cars running turbo's from the factory have neither. Low pressure of 7 psi or whatever this guy is aiming for wouldn't demand a BOV. All a BOV does is help prevent pipes from blowing off or as you said, pressure back into the turbo. Would I run a kit without either, no. But the guy is looking for cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea thats exactly why your name is miss spelled....................................... to the OP, contact xenocron at (973) 846-7872. they should have some ECU's that are chipped and ready to ship. thats where i got my S300 from. after that you'll need to look for a tuner thats close to you or your area and then spend 300-500 on a good tune. the price will depend on on your tuner. also if i were you i would get a walbro 255.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also if you want cheap look at this site. they are all about cheap stuff that works.. http://homemadeturbo.com/
Old 11-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow not that cheap, if i dont get a bov then my turbo will get f'd up and id spend more money on the turbo and so on. plus i can get the incooler for 30 bucks, i need more info on how i can get it running with the stock ignition and on some feul managment( preferably without a tune ) is that possible.

Quick Reply: how to make a homemade turbo custom made