Notices

How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost?

Bulinding a B-series engine for my car..

The car is going daily street used. What should i do to make it able to handle long pulls.. I want to be able to empty 5th some times.

-----------------------
Specs:
83mm B16 GE Sleeved
CP 9:1
Stock crank
Eagle Rods
ACL Bearings
Victor X

Supertech valves/retainers/springr
New seales and guides
ITR cams

Ramhorn
SC61
Tial WG 44mm and BOV
Precision 600hp IC

AEM EMS
AEM C2Di

Oil temp gauge
Oil press gauge
4x EGT gauges
A/F gauge
----------------------

thanx

Modified by SnOOpY-NO at 9:31 AM 9/13/2006
Old 09-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (SnOOpY-NO)

get a safe tune ? i boost the **** out of 5th on the highway. mostly short pulls and not too often. these things get hot fast...... heat = bad....
Old 09-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (dturbocivic)

bump cause I want more info on this subject too. Hopefully Tony the tiger and others who know thier **** post up some info.

Most will say it's in the tune, but I have had my motor tuned by one of the most reputable tuners on HT and I still would not do it. During tuning, a 5th gear pull killed my motor as an injector failed and leaned out one cylinder. Granted it was the injectors fault.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:17 AM

Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (mike1114)

Whenever you rev the motor to high rpms you are putting alot of stress on the head, you are going to want to build the valvetrain and head to be able to reliably do that.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (SnOOpY-NO)

I think the most important thing would be an EGT guage to monitor the exhaust temperature. I live in Germany where there is no speed limit, and I have been topping out 5th gear all the time and holding it. This is with a B16 engine and tranny. Like I said, monitor EGTs and you would be fine.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:51 AM

Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ran my buddies LS to 140 the other night from 80 in fifth. its only making 270, so it takes some time but no issues at all here with a good tune</TD></TR></TABLE>

yah you can do it, but if you are planning on reving the engine that high you may want to build the head. You dont have to but its a good idea, and since hes fully building the bottom end and even sleeving it, no reason not to build the head and go all out.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:07 AM

Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (rota92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ran my buddies LS to 140 the other night from 80 in fifth. its only making 270, so it takes some time but no issues at all here with a good tune</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is he still enjoying his ride
Old 09-12-2006, 08:12 AM

^^ Ur avatar sux. The fallout of free speech.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (JoePSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoePSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Whenever you rev the motor to high rpms you are putting alot of stress on the head, you are going to want to build the valvetrain and head to be able to reliably do that.</TD></TR></TABLE>What does this have to do in relation to the topic. Are you saying that in 5th gear you are revving the motor to higher rpms than you would in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th?
Old 09-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Dollar_bill

Default Re: (fled)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fled &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ Ur avatar sux. The fallout of free speech.</TD></TR></TABLE>

glad i'm not the only one who thinks so,outa respect for the guy please change it.i was and still is a big fan seeing that brings tears to my eyes.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (quick_DC5)

quickdc5,
Hes talking about 'Long Pulls' meaning wrapping out 5th gear. it would be 'smart' to build the head if you plan on putting that much abuse on the engine. Thats what it has to do with it. IF he were mearly talking about reving the engine normall then it would be fine but thats not what he asked.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (JoePSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoePSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quickdc5,
Hes talking about 'Long Pulls' meaning wrapping out 5th gear. it would be 'smart' to build the head if you plan on putting that much abuse on the engine. Thats what it has to do with it. IF he were mearly talking about reving the engine normall then it would be fine but thats not what he asked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree, build the head to handle the added 5th gear boost including some good guides, I also bought an Alky Kit which wil certainly help with the heat in the combustion chamber. I am running an LS Trans with 205/50/15 so pretty much your GSR 5th is like my 4th as far as top speed.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:27 PM

So you guys are saying that 8,000rpm in 5th gear is more stress than 8,000rpm in 4th? Or are you refering to the longer duration that youre in 5th as opposed to 4th?

For me, I feel that tuning would probably be the most important factor. 5th gear pulls create lots of load and heat. I would think that adjusting your fuel and ign maps to compensate for that would be important. Like someone else said earlier, I think an EGT gauge would be useful too.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quick_DC5)

the duration, the motor is running at its extreme, probably wouldnt hurt to add fuel and maybe pull some timing to keep the EGT's down. Only boosting in 4th gear gives you a greater chance of not becoming a bloody smear on the interstate and sure makes me feel alot safer that some ******** is not going to slam into myself or anyone and kill them too.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Re: (quick_DC5)

Yes build your motor and tune it good every body knows that. I think you should worry more about things like tires, wheels, bushing, tie rod ends brakes, and other things that will help your Honda Civic (that wasn’t built to go over 110 or so) to handle those speeds your talking well over 150 at lest my car will with a ls tranny. There are tones of kids around here that put a 400hp motor in a $300 car and then they find out they have to spend a lot of money to get the car up to speed with the motor.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:50 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Dollar_bill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dollar_bill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> glad i'm not the only one who thinks so,outa respect for the guy please change it.i was and still is a big fan seeing that brings tears to my eyes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

******* waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa dude just pushed his luck too hard, end of story

but as for the poster...get a good tune, and get a hood that'll vent some of hte engine bay heat
Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted94cx)

so what mph does it start to become dangerous for the motor? I did a pull to 148 the other night in my 246whp ls-t, I was watching the temp close to and never rose at all.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:43 PM
* B A N N E D *

not so much mph........it's mostly just a time thing. the longer you stay in the boost/on throttle.......the more heat is being produced.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted94cx)

Head is buildt too.. Supertech stuff, new guides/seals and ITR cams..
AEM EMS is capable of adding fuel and pull timing for a certain gear. It calculates what gear is in use by looking at rpm/mpg.

I also have EGT gauges to monitor the temps. 4 actually, so i can see when something is happening and where.. One EGT will not react that much when the temp is a

The car is completely overhauled.. All new wheelbearings, bushings, and ball-joints. New brakes and calipers all over and koni suspension.

So, whats left must be the tune...
Old 09-13-2006, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to make a B-series handle long pulls with boost? (crucian)

We are also from Germany. We run one of our cars last year over a few hours on the Autobahn with hundreds of long 5thgear pulls. Our EGT was not higher than 870°c. Car never had a problem. It was a very conservative tune.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SnOOpY-NO)

I would say a good person to talk to would be Elton Lo from Raceline.

He has set a few land speed records with his Integra and probably could shed some light on the situation for you.