Notices

How to install MBC??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install MBC??

Need help hooking up my MBC. I have a nipple off my Turbonetics turbo and one off my Turbonetics WG. Also one on my bov. Where do these go? Diagrams please
Old 10-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to install MBC??

The one on the cold side you can just avoid. You can plug that one.

Get a T fitting and route a line from the BOV to the t fitting.
Hook one end up to the manifold, and run the other end to the manual boost controller.
From the manual boost controller, send the other end to the waste-gate. It regulates the
waste-gate, allowing the diaphragm not to be so sensitive.
Resulting in less pressure, more boost.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's it!!? Simple enough. Thanks!! What is the one on the cold side even for!?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost reference.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so just block it off
Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You got it.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EF9_TryMe
The one on the cold side you can just avoid. You can plug that one.

Get a T fitting and route a line from the BOV to the t fitting.
Hook one end up to the manifold, and run the other end to the manual boost controller.
From the manual boost controller, send the other end to the waste-gate. It regulates the
waste-gate, allowing the diaphragm not to be so sensitive.
Resulting in less pressure, more boost.
You couldn't be more wrong. For starters, you NEVER want to delay the signal to the BOV... You also shouldn't run any vacuum to the wastegate. They aren't designed for that. Ever notice how the rubber is formed to move one way?

OP - To hook up your MBC it is even easier than you think. If you have a rubber line then:

Run one end from the compressor of the turbo to the bottom of the wastegate.
Cut line in half where you want to install the MBC.
Install MBC.

Now you are done, start with the MBC set to let ALL the boost in and SLOWLY adjust it to get the pressure you desire.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
You couldn't be more wrong. For starters, you NEVER want to delay the signal to the BOV... You also shouldn't run any vacuum to the wastegate. They aren't designed for that. Ever notice how the rubber is formed to move one way?

OP - To hook up your MBC it is even easier than you think. If you have a rubber line then:

Install MBC.

Now you are done, start with the MBC set to let ALL the boost in and SLOWLY adjust it to get the pressure you desire.
I had mine hooked up the way a performance shop always used to tell me, and then I did a little bit of research to prove their point, and never had any problems .. but perhaps I had it wrong.

So run a vacuum line from the manifold to the bov, without any other signals interrupting it ?

Isn't the wastegate going to see boost regardless, even if the line is hooked up straight to the manifold from the bottom of the wastegate?

About the rubber concern, are you saying that it constricts itself under vacuum forming bends ?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So bov to the IM? The MBC doesn't have to be hooked up to the IM at all? Thanks guys!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:55 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by DelSol-B18
So bov to the IM? The MBC doesn't have to be hooked up to the IM at all? Thanks guys!
Correct.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha SLOWLY. I thought mine was DOA and just cranked it. woooooh 14lbs PSHHHHHHH..then i lowered it

all you do is cut the wg line, tie in the controller, set the PSI, n forget about it
Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Install MBC.

So technically if I didn't want to run a MBC just run a vacuum line from WG to cold side or turbo?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by DelSol-B18
So technically if I didn't want to run a MBC just run a vacuum line from WG to cold side of turbo?
Correct, and this is how it SHOULD be done.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Correct, and this is how it SHOULD be done.
I have a question. Since you have wealths of knowledge dating back to the 1800's.
Why is it best to get the wastegate boost signal from the compressor housing rather than the intake manifold?
I would want my wastegate regulating boost off what my motor is actually seeing pressure wise. Not what my turbocharger is putting out and losing from the charge pipes and intercooler and bends.
Basicly what I'm saying is I might have 13psi at the turbocharger but isn't there a presure drop after the intercooler. Even if its a very slight drop wouldn't I want to tune my motor based off what pressure ratio my motor is actually seeing? So if I tune my motor to 12 psi I would want a boost cut at 13psi. So in that case I want my wastegate fully opened at 12psi.
I know your response will be blunt let's just get some tech in this thread.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
I have a question. Since you have wealths of knowledge dating back to the 1800's.
Why is it best to get the wastegate boost signal from the compressor housing rather than the intake manifold?
I would want my wastegate regulating boost off what my motor is actually seeing pressure wise. Not what my turbocharger is putting out and losing from the charge pipes and intercooler and bends.
Basicly what I'm saying is I might have 13psi at the turbocharger but isn't there a presure drop after the intercooler. Even if its a very slight drop wouldn't I want to tune my motor based off what pressure ratio my motor is actually seeing? So if I tune my motor to 12 psi I would want a boost cut at 13psi. So in that case I want my wastegate fully opened at 12psi.
I know your response will be blunt let's just get some tech in this thread.
you want more boost turn the ****, your making it more complicated then it needs to be
Old 10-09-2012, 06:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by bigD
you want more boost turn the ****, your making it more complicated then it needs to be
Shut up.
Re read my question.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

The reason is simple - you don't have to worry about vacuum on the wastegate. If you wanted to get into it more, for most of us these days that are using a MBC or EBC, the pressure differential can be easily compensated for. The delay between the different reference locations albeit is minimal, it is better to not have at all. Do people run their vehicles with vacuum to the wastegate? Sure. Does it work? Sure, but for how long? Why does every big name company say in their instructions to NOT hook up the wastegate to a vacuum source?

When you think about it, the logic is sound and minimal. I don't think getting into "engineering" terms and explinations is going to accomplish anything that basic talk can't. Next time you have a wastegate apart, inspect the rubber and how it is sealed. You will see exactly what I am talking about. The last thing I would want is to be out front in the lead and destroy my entire engine from a boost spike that was caused by a ruptured wastegate bladder.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason is simple - you don't have to worry about vacuum on the wastegate. If you wanted to get into it more, for most of us these days that are using a MBC or EBC, the pressure differential can be easily compensated for. The delay between the different reference locations albeit is minimal, it is better to not have at all. Do people run their vehicles with vacuum to the wastegate? Sure. Does it work? Sure, but for how long? Why does every big name company say in their instructions to NOT hook up the wastegate to a vacuum source?

When you think about it, the logic is sound and minimal. I don't think getting into "engineering" terms and explinations is going to accomplish anything that basic talk can't. Next time you have a wastegate apart, inspect the rubber and how it is sealed. You will see exactly what I am talking about. The last thing I would want is to be out front in the lead and destroy my entire engine from a boost spike that was caused by a ruptured wastegate bladder.
You seem to know your sh** quite well.... So bov to intake manifold.. And wastegate to cold side of turbo.. Thats simple
Old 10-09-2012, 10:58 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Very good explanation I like...
BUT. Your telling me if I hook up a vacume gauge to the nipple of the compressor housing I won't see any vacume there??
I'm pretty sure I will..
Carry on noobs of the internet..
Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Despite the fact that your perspective on engineering is completely understood, I agree with turbohatch
chiming in about technical information.

You have pretty awesome knowledge, but damn dude .. your tough to get along with. Lol.
I'll ask you one question, whereas flaming me all day long is acceptable just so I can
get a proper perception on what regards pressure differential between vacuum and boost.

Let's go back to running a waste-gate signal line off of the intake manifold just so a better approach
in understanding certain defects can be clarified.

For example:
If pressure changes from vacuum to boost, does that mean the rubber seal inside flexes
from the pressure differential ? Your saying the rubber is formed only to go one way, and
that's under boost ? Correct ?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Its not formed to go one way that's why there's 2 ports for a ebc on most wastegates.
If that theory wered true a simple check valve would be used to prevent vacume. But they're not used.
The compressor housing method to me makes the most sense only to have the shortest possible line from boost source to wastegate for maximum response time.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome. That clarifies things a little better this time.

/thread
Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

No to the first part but yes to the second. The problem is you are using BOOST on BOTH sides of the rubber diaphram rather than vacuum on one side of it. Also, IF there was vacuum from the compressor side, it would be NO where near the vacuum found in the intake manifold.

Again, the signal response time is negligable, but going from 27" of vacuum to 27psi of boost is double the amount of pressure change (relatively speaking) than 0" to 27psi.

Vacuum Damage:

How it looks outside the housing:

Tial Install Instructions:
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Mmmmmm I love tech...

Quick Reply: How to install MBC??