Notices

How important a dumptube really is

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How important a dumptube really is

ok so I was at the dyno the other day and I ran once without a dumptube (really good tune) and hit 233whp. So then on the same tune I ran with a dump tube and hit 255. so that goes to show everyone that always asks how important a dumptube is (I used to wonder to) that it is extremly important.

just wanted to share my experiment.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How important a dumptube really is (pbzhb)

no dump tube (with any exh getting into the turbo) is basically an EGR valve.
it is amazing how bad that can hurt performance.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How important a dumptube really is (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no dump tube (with any exh getting into the turbo) is basically an EGR valve.
it is amazing how bad that can hurt performance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2 and Dump tubes are very important because if it is hitting the cooling system it may be heating things up that you dont want as well
Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How important a dumptube really is (pbzhb)

Yup they are very important. I had a car on the dyno without a dumptube pick up 40whp by holding a 90 degree pipe on the open wastegate during a dyno pull directing exhaust out of the engine bay.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I still dont get it....Why do they gain soo much power with the Dumptube on as appose to it off? Is it bcuz of Heat Soak?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I tell doctors what to do

Default Re: (Cigarbufff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cigarbufff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I still dont get it....Why do they gain soo much power with the Dumptube on as appose to it off? Is it bcuz of Heat Soak?</TD></TR></TABLE>x2 all the wastegate is doing is regulating boost pressure. I don't understand how it could have such a dramatic response. Dumptube or not you're going to be at the same psi
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ILcrxsi1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ILcrxsi1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">x2 all the wastegate is doing is regulating boost pressure. I don't understand how it could have such a dramatic response. Dumptube or not you're going to be at the same psi</TD></TR></TABLE>

since when is "psi" the only thing that matters when it comes to horsepower?

if you guys are impressed with dump tubes and their effect on horsepower....try playing with air intakes for the turbo's.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cigarbufff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I still dont get it....Why do they gain soo much power with the Dumptube on as appose to it off? Is it bcuz of Heat Soak?</TD></TR></TABLE>
How much available oxygen do you think the motor is getting when its ingesting exhaust gas through the intake?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I tell doctors what to do

Default Re: (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

since when is "psi" the only thing that matters when it comes to horsepower?

if you guys are impressed with dump tubes and their effect on horsepower....try playing with air intakes for the turbo's.</TD></TR></TABLE>I never said psi is the only thing that affects power you [freak]ing dolt. I simply stated that I didn't see why a dumptube would affect power that significantly. An intake is obviously going to change **** around that's easy to see.

The most important part you overlooked though was the fact that I didn't say the op or anyone else was wrong, I just stated that I didn't understand why it would cause such a drastic difference. Of course you being the jackass you are turns this in to me "challenging" the theory of the op like I'm strolling in here like king (explative).

Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 PM

so is it true then if u get the dumptube made into the dp u gain some nice hp gains
Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ACrite3404)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ACrite3404 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so is it true then if u get the dumptube made into the dp u gain some nice hp gains</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will say no, you might see a small gain but if the dumptube was created to go under the oil pan, I don't think you will see that big of a gain.

You want to be sucking in cold air, not hot exhaust gases.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ILcrxsi1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Basically you're just a complete [freak]ing moron and I would like to shove my fist up your ***.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Just because Turbo-Charged made a valid point does not mean he is down for getting fisted
Old 03-07-2008, 02:06 AM

hmm...so thats important. i always see them in external wastegates. how about in internal wastegates? its in the dp right?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: (sohc_kuhol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cigarbufff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I still dont get it....Why do they gain soo much power with the Dumptube on as appose to it off? Is it bcuz of Heat Soak?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok an open dump, letting exh into the turbo,(if there is exh collecting anywhere under the hood it can get in) acts like an EGR. the way an EGR works is it drops the combustion temperature by introducing exhaust gas into the air fuel charge. thats how it affects power. by dropping the combustion temp.

the reason cars have EGR's is it lowers NoX. NoX is directly related to high combustion temps.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I understand where you guys are coming from now!...Basically with the wastegate being soo close to the turbo its breathing in Exhaust gases through the intake side....so your just routing the gases away so that can't happen.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cigarbufff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I understand where you guys are coming from now!...Basically with the wastegate being soo close to the turbo its breathing in Exhaust gases through the intake side....so your just routing the gases away so that can't happen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. . . Exhaust gases aren't very combustible.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 PM

Default Re: (RCautoworks)

I didn't route mine into my dp instead i made it follow the same route as my dp so it goes under my car and flows away. similar to how the fan in the car blows with the way the car moves.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i say that its is very important that you have one