Notices

How the hell do you guys smog your cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the hell do you guys smog your cars?

I live in CA, and I know certain turbo kits come with exemption numbers, and are therefore street legal. Is there any way I can get my **** legal? I have read/heard so much contradictory bullshit information, and I just want to know what I can and can't do. It doesn't make any sense that you can get a turbo kit, or buy an sti, etc and be legal, but once you start doing things yourself, you can't be. If my **** passes the emission levels allowed for that engine, and has all of the original emissions bs functional, is there any way i can get an exemption sticker that says what I've done has been approved and I can now just take my **** to a regular smog place?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How the hell do you guys smog your cars? (rorik)

move
Old 08-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No can do sir. Anything beyond your conventional Greddy bolt on kit would be considered a Gross Polluter/Illegal. I'm sure if you know people who know peoples people, you might be able to pass smog, under the table. CA emmisions suck, but hey, it aint like smogs good for the environment. You can either comply, or bend the rules your way. good luck.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're in CA, I wouldn't even think about saying Honda and Turbo in the same sentence.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it off every 2 yrs or find a place that will pass you with cash under the table.. its not cheap though.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: (raceACCORDingly)

and dont even bother asking people here for illegal smog connections, cuz u goin to get flamed.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here if your car is too low then they cant make you drive over the rollers so you are exempt for the next 2 years move it to md and slam that ****
Old 08-25-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: (AbitAvenger)

I couldn't pass the test in washington state, ended up going back to stock to pass, then when i went down for the 3rd time, ran into a guy that didn't even run the test with the sniffer in the pipe for me to pass. I was pissed, took everything off for nothing!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: (livinlow)

Some shops are really ****, some don't care. Go to a shady looking "Test only" station - they are not allowed to make repairs, so in incentive to fail you - and see what the tech says. As long as you keep your cat, have your set-up well tuned, and keep some semblance of a PCV system you should pass the sniffer.

There are other ways - like bolting the stock stuff back on as mentioned before - "Clean for a day"

I'm not gonna flame anyone for trying to work around California's silly system - but if you gut your cat, that's not cool for a daily driver - as for the other stuff who cares?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here is a caption from corky bells's stupid book Maximum Boost
"Any construction effort of this nature must consider the guidelines for engine system modifications drawn up by the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board. The decision to apply for an exemption order from CARB for the NSX turbo system for true street legal status dictates several facets of the design.

How do you do this??

p.s. **** California, I probably will move anyway.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rorik)

the mail man... he's great.

We just got emissions testing in texas, that was a pain... just take your stuff off when your getting checked.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: (93preludes)

move to a smog free county like me...
Old 08-26-2005, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (kodirtysi)

When emissions testing comes for me.

I do the following:

Swap my stock ecu back in there
Put my stock fuel injectors back in
Plug my evap solenoid back in
Take off the chargepipe that goes to the throttle body and put in a short ram intake

Drive like a grandma for a week(just so i don't overspool my turbo).

Go take the test and pass with flying colours.

Works every time.

DAN
Old 08-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they let you pass with a turbo so obviously temporarily disconnected?? wow..not in cali, thats for sure..

So is it impossible to qualify for a CARB exemption, or is it just that no one ever even tries?
Old 08-26-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: (rorik)

In Toronto, Canada.....all they do is a sniffer test.

DAN
Old 08-26-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ginoboy1978)

For guys in Cali, you gotta go stock, or get it done the dirty way.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cali has the work smog laws and yet we have the most high hp and heavely moded honda's
everyone and their mother just does illegal smog duh!!
Old 08-27-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: How the hell do you guys smog your cars? (riceball777)

nothing that ben franklin cant do....
Old 08-27-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: How the hell do you guys smog your cars? (tRaCeBuStA)

california isn't that bad depending on the year of your car. i have a 2000 turbo'd civic si and i'm exempt from the biennial smog check unless i sell the car or the legislation pass another law.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some vehicles are exempt from the Smog Check program

Legislation enacted during 2004 made several changes in motor vehicle Smog Check exemptions that will become effective next year. Following is a summary of the revised exemptions and the effective date of each change:

Beginning January 1, 2005, vehicles 6 or less model-years old will be exempt from the biennial Smog Check inspection requirement. For vehicles with registration renewals due in the 2005 calendar year, this exemption includes model-years 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.

Beginning January 1, 2005, vehicles 4 or less model-years old will be exempt from the Smog Check inspection requirement upon change of ownership and transfer of title transactions with DMV. In 2005, this exemption includes model-years 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-27-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: How the hell do you guys smog your cars? (y0y0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by y0y0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">california isn't that bad depending on the year of your car. i have a 2000 turbo'd civic si and i'm exempt from the biennial smog check unless i sell the car or the legislation pass another law.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't quite understand, can you elaborate?
Old 08-27-2005, 12:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive got a suggestion. Go to hotornot look for a desperate Obese chick in GA that you can scam to get permission to use her addy. Take a road trip and get your car registered there (no immisions). Then drive back home and get the most obnoxious BOV you can find and when you get pulled over by the cops tell them they can kiss your a$$ cause youre from out of town and dont have to comply w/ cali emission standards.

(just a suggestion)

(If Ive offended any desperate obese chicks Id like to take the time out to say Im sorry. Im so sorry that you couldnt put the sandwich down. and by the way... want to hook up?)

(the jarrad sub diet DEFINATELY does not work when youre eating two footlongs in a serving)
Old 08-27-2005, 09:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by y0y0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">california isn't that bad depending on the year of your car. i have a 2000 turbo'd civic si and i'm exempt from the biennial smog check unless i sell the car or the legislation pass another law. </TD></TR></TABLE> you're almost there, if you bought your car new... you'll be up for a SMOG inspection around 2006. Your car is only currenly exepmt because its fairly new. They won't consider it a new car anymore comes 2006.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How the hell do you guys smog your cars? (riceball777)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceball777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cali has the work smog laws and yet we have the most high hp and heavely moded honda's
everyone and their mother just does illegal smog duh!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I have a decent chance of finding an illegal smog in sacramento, ($300 enough?) I don't know, but it's a lot of extra work to change all that **** if I can't.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How the hell do you guys smog your cars? (Black-LS)

In CA there is a place called Fort Bragg, they don`t have any emissions laws as of right now, not even a sniffer test. There used to be more places like it but they must of changed the laws
Old 08-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How the hell do you guys smog your cars? (ProjectDarkBlack)

register your car in a non smog county, get a PO box there and use it as your home address at dmv. they wont even bother checking.

Quick Reply: How the hell do you guys smog your cars?