Notices

How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust?

He has a stock exhaust correct? Or is that just the stock muffler?

If it's stock exhaust, doesn't it hurt his car when boosting until he opens up that dump?

I kinda wanna do what he's doing but have NO CLUE how.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (racinskittle)

I've never used a cutout, but I believe the restriction caused by the stock exhaust only allows the turbo to create like 4psi if I remember correctly.

JM
Old 08-05-2003, 08:45 PM

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (bluboy)

he uses a E-cutout and when he needs the power he hits a button and opens the ex to be more like a open DP

nice trick to fool others with
Old 08-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (bottlefedb18c1)

Yeah that's what I wanted to do, but does he actually run a stock exhaust system the rest of the time?

Thanks for the replies
Old 08-05-2003, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (bottlefedb18c1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bottlefedb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he uses a E-cutout and when he needs the power he hits a button and opens the ex to be more like a open DP</TD></TR></TABLE>

That doesn't seal the hole left from the stock exhaust passage does it? I mean, it's not a diversion, just another hole that opens - like having two exhaust paths. Doesn't this hurt power as opposed to running a huge exhaust?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (raene)

Yeah, I didn't want to run a performance exhaust basically. I wanted to run a stock exhaust and then use an e cut out. My reasoning is that it is cheaper tan a performance exhaust w/muffler, and it will flow much better.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:08 PM

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (racinskittle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racinskittle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I didn't want to run a performance exhaust basically. I wanted to run a stock exhaust and then use an e cut out. My reasoning is that it is cheaper tan a performance exhaust w/muffler, and it will flow much better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to mention cops think big muffler means you're a trouble maker, and makes petty theives think you have something work stealing.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (boosted92)

That's EXACTLY the other reason I want it. I dont want the trouble associated with the big mufflers. I got let off with a verbal warning at the races this weekend and dont want to give cops another thing to hold against me.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:21 PM

The cutout broke a while back, so he runs open downpipe most of the time. Jason and i took the car to a race a couple months ago and for the trip home i bolted on a block plate so i could hear my dvds on the way home. It was a nice quiet alternative to what I'm used to and as far as boost restriction goes, we got it up to 16psi at one point, but it sucks. it's not really meant to be boosted a whole hell of a lot closed, but it doesn't really hurt anything; just felt sluggish. once he gets his new cutout on, he can chill on the freeway with a quiet car until an unsuspecting V8 wants to play, then he can dump it and kick some ***.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:22 PM
New User

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (Chamois)

That gets me to thinking... Is there any way to make the cutout an automatic switch attached to a pressure sensor, or maybe dually activated with the "high boost" button on an EBC?

No extra switches to hit, nothing. That way, he could set "low boost" on a controller to whatever psi for daily driving, and when playtime comes along, hit high boost, and the dump opens. Voila.

Ohhh, the humanity.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:20 AM

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (SiR Kid)

yep thats possible. could be wired to the ac button to activative a valve in the vaccum line and the cutout.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (Chamois)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chamois &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as far as boost restriction goes, we got it up to 16psi at one point, but it sucks. it's not really meant to be boosted a whole hell of a lot closed, but it doesn't really hurt anything; just felt sluggish. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i would think that boosting that much through the stock exhaust or any bottleneck exhaust, would make the turbo work a lot harder and would prematurely wear out the turbo.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:00 AM

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (Hatch4urSnatch)

any factory turbo will work fine at lower boosts.

WRX's have like 5 cats, and they seem to work ok...

just dont try and push huge amounts of power through it.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:55 AM
New User

Default Re: How does Cheezefrog get by with running stock exhaust? (lazerus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just dont try and push huge amounts of power through it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think Cheesefrog's car DEFINES the term "huge amounts of power".
Old 08-06-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That gets me to thinking... Is there any way to make the cutout an automatic switch attached to a pressure sensor, or maybe dually activated with the "high boost" button on an EBC?

No extra switches to hit, nothing. That way, he could set "low boost" on a controller to whatever psi for daily driving, and when playtime comes along, hit high boost, and the dump opens. Voila.

Ohhh, the humanity. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I thought i've heard of those before. That's what I would prefer. I couldn't find it though so im prolly going with the e cutout.

Either way Im really pleased with the responses and am glad to hear what I was hoping to hear
Old 08-06-2003, 09:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That gets me to thinking... Is there any way to make the cutout an automatic switch attached to a pressure sensor, or maybe dually activated with the "high boost" button on an EBC?

Ohhh, the humanity. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I guess you could, but I know the qtec cutouts use a momentary button so you can hold it down for however long you want to partially open it or partially close it so that would make wiring interesting.