Notices

how do you guys launch at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:06 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you guys launch at the track

im hitting the track on Wednesday with my ls v t. Do i just put in 1st gear pop the ebrake and keep rev at 3k drop the ebrake ???
Old 03-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do you guys launch at the track (PnoyLSV-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PnoyLSV-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im hitting the track on Wednesday with my ls v t. Do i just put in 1st gear pop the ebrake and keep rev at 3k drop the ebrake ???</TD></TR></TABLE>

That depends on your tires. And your ems. If you have a 2step igntion that really helps your launch with a turbo charged car.

But if you have street tires you will do ok lanching the way you listed. But if you pop the clutch you will end up with a smoke show. You have to work the clutch a little.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:45 PM

you don't use the e-brake when your launching, only when your warming up your tires, slip the clutch a little at the point that your car is making boost, and hold on for dear life
Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do you guys launch at the track (young noob)

he means using the e-brake for preloading, it depends, u on street tire or slick? im assuming your on street tire, so they way u described it with the 3k rpm should be ok, just have to play the gas and clutch a lil bit.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:31 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: how do you guys launch at the track (Dual Cam Racing)

ofcouse using ebrake to do a little burnout. So i just keep in first gear, rev to 3k and play with gas and boom, with no ebrake. Yea im on street tires. I will get my ek tuned to 2 step rev limiter and boost 10 pounds
Old 03-22-2007, 03:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

so i just pop the clutch and hit gas hard??let go clutch completely
Old 03-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Every car is different, as is every track. No matter how many times i launched my car on the street it really didnt mean much until i tried to do a whole shot at the track.

Honestly find a nice,<U> remote place</U> and do a couple launches and get used to it. Once you get to the track, it will be a start.

Practice really makes perfect when it comes to the track.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from my experience.. dont just pop the clutch... you have to preload it... to the point where you ARENT moving, but its as high as possible....
then it takes strain off the tranny, and axels and you get a nice launch...
I was launchin at 6000 with slicks and never broke a thing
Old 03-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Topdawgg)

Also remember track courtesy, pull up and trigger the staging light. Wait for the other lane to trigger their first light. Then light the second light and get ready for the lights to drop. PS, don't drive through the water box if your on street tires.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (sp00led)

pull into the waterbox, put your car in 2nd gear, yank the ebrake, rev it up to 5-6k and let it rip. heat them tires up good.

then get up to the line, get your revs up to where u wanna launch (4-6k maybe depending on your tires and whaatnot) then let the clutch up right before it grabs.

the light turns green, you just finish lettingn the clutch out and get ready to shift.
if your spinning real hard in 1st you might want to hit the limmiter a few times to get your mph up and avoiod bogging in 2nd gear
Old 03-22-2007, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sp00led)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sp00led &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> PS, don't drive through the water box if your on street tires. </TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG that drives me nuts...

you dont warm up street tires... lol

getting them wet and trying to warm them does NOTHING for them..
Old 03-22-2007, 09:22 PM

Default Re: (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pull into the waterbox, put your car in 2nd gear, yank the ebrake, rev it up to 5-6k and let it rip. heat them tires up good.

then get up to the line, get your revs up to where u wanna launch (4-6k maybe depending on your tires and whaatnot) then let the clutch up right before it grabs.

the light turns green, you just finish lettingn the clutch out and get ready to shift.
if your spinning real hard in 1st you might want to hit the limmiter a few times to get your mph up and avoiod bogging in 2nd gear</TD></TR></TABLE>

4-6K might be too high IMO, id stay around 3K when i launch.

As far as the staging lights, if you see green, its too late, go on the last yellow, thats what ive been told and done, and its always a good reaction time...
Old 03-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integra racr04)

hahaha it so annoying to see people "warm up" "burnout" watever w/ STREET TIRES!
all you end up is wasting money buying new set of tires.
Keep them dry and launch at 3000.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRX 2.0V-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX 2.0V-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahaha it so annoying to see people "warm up" "burnout" watever w/ STREET TIRES!
all you end up is wasting money buying new set of tires.
Keep them dry and launch at 3000.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats definately good advice for st tires, its what i used to do.

if your tires can hook, launch high.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pull into the waterbox, put your car in 2nd gear, yank the ebrake, rev it up to 5-6k and let it rip. heat them tires up good.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a question, why do people have all the hype about preloading the clutch on take off to prevent breaking axles when the only way i know to do a burnout is what this guy says? Seems like this would be worse on the tranny and you would break at the burnout before you even get to the line. I guess it could prevent you from stressing the axles two times within 10 seconds? I dont know, just always wondered about this.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BDogggUT34)

since u go into the box your tires are wet. when u rev it high and let it out, you instantly loose traction and there is very little stress on the drivetrain.

when you come off the line, you are trying to get traction so u should preload becausse your not trying to spin your trying to hook
Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BDogggUT34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have a question, why do people have all the hype about preloading the clutch on take off to prevent breaking axles when the only way i know to do a burnout is what this guy says? Seems like this would be worse on the tranny and you would break at the burnout before you even get to the line. I guess it could prevent you from stressing the axles two times within 10 seconds? I dont know, just always wondered about this.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's why there is a water box
Old 03-24-2007, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BDogggUT34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive got an answer for this...
In the water, the tires spin easy, and they are cold... putting it in 2nd doesnt hurt anything cause theres enough power to spin them with ease...

Once they are warm, you must preload because you are now in the spots with traction compound, and the tires are warm... so they actually GRAB... so if you strain them by just dumping, you will break things... hense the preload...
Old 03-24-2007, 06:25 PM

Default Re: (Topdawgg)

^well put^
Old 03-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about when you have a 6 puck clutch? You really can't "slip" a 6 puck can you?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: (WillisGS)

Sure you can. My Ironman CC is quite smooth.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:01 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (sc4dr)

so i just pop in 1st gear keep the rpm steady and 3k and launch the baby on the last yellow light? redline each gear including 1st? IM gonna run on street tires
Old 03-24-2007, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PnoyLSV-T)

I dont care what anyone else says, ive always done quick little burn outs with street tires. I figure warmer rubber will always stick better.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: (See Are X)

my track requires burn-outs. Rule is, if you can't burn out on wet track then you don't race. Atleast here in Memphis. I'd practice until I can mimick a stall on a converter. There's a reason pro drag cars (at least muscle cars) use autos. If you can get your launch similar to stall of say 3000-3500 on an auto tranny, you should be good. If your ever using slicks and a stock drivetrain, I'd go w/ a high launch just to avoid hooking a lil too hard.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WickedHonda00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WickedHonda00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rule is, if you can't burn out on wet track then you don't race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd tell them to go pound sand.

Quick Reply: how do you guys launch at the track