Notices

How do you drive up long hills?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you drive up long hills?

This question may sound stupid but I've been wondering about it for a while.

On my way home from work I have to drive up a hill that is probably three or four miles of a good incline.

Every afternoon I have two options:

1 - accelerate or at least keep up with traffic: this means I am in boost in 4th or 5th gear for the whole time. Many people blow engines doing this so most of the time I opt for the next option.

2 - control the throttle position and hold it between 10 In Hg, and 0 In Hg in 4th or 5th gear: this usually results in me having to be in the right lane and getting passed by large trucks and old people

I simply can't keep up with traffic on this long hill if I stay in vacuum.

So, what do you guys do? I know I'm not the only one that has to drive a boosted Honda up a long hill every day.

What is the best way to get up the hill without hurting my engine? Is there no other way? It won't be the end of the world if I have to crawl up the hill in vacuum every day, but I just want to know if there is another solution.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (EJ1 wilcox)

If your setup is tuned and built correctly it will be fine. Factory turbo cars do it all the time and last a couple hundred thousand miles.

Another option is taching out 3rd in the breakdown lane and just bouncing off rev limit at 90...bappp bappp bappp bappp That should make short work of any hill

Modified by Bailhatch at 8:12 PM 4/26/2005
Old 04-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think i have seen anybody bring this up before? I just try to go in and out of boost. Like rev slowly to 5-6 psi, then let it go, then slowly go back up to 5-6 and so forth. But i haven't been on that long of an incline before.
-edit- get a boost controller, turn psi down before hill.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (mattssi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> -edit- get a boost controller, turn psi down before hill. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good idea but I don't really want to spend a bunch of money for an electronic boost controller...

I'm too much of a chicken to boost all the way up that bitch, I've seen too many blown engines from long 4th or 5th gear pulls.

I guess if I concentrate hard enough on the boost gauge I could hold it right at 1-3 psi and be fine. That's a lot of work though
Old 04-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't you just put it in 3rd or 4th and cruise at relatively high RPM?

Either way.. just watch your EGTs. At low boost/low RPM in 5th the motor should actually be ok boosting for extended periods.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just give it enough to get it into open loop, when going up the hill. Probably boosting a pound or two.

I have to go up and down the damn mountains everyweekend with my car, and this has been the best option so far.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tune the car to its fullest =$$$$$$$$$$$$

electronic boost controler =$$$$$

two stage boost controler= $

i'd go for the simple manual 2 stage setup since this conserns you alot due to you having to drive up this big hill everyday
Old 04-26-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (jdmchop)

As long as the car is tuned well, and the EGT's dont skyrocket you should be fine.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pound it in 3rd and then cruise your way up in 4th.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

I dont see why everyone is worryes about boosting in a high gear, you can do it, its not the gear that relaly blows the motor its the 10minutes of stright boost and the EGT's getting HOT and other non cool stuff happing, you can boost in high gears as long as it is tuned good
Old 04-26-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: (N20civicB18)

It's not OK to boost for extended periods because EGT's will continue to rise and then that's why we see a lot of blown motors in 4th and 5th gear pulls. I would not recommend it even if your EGT's stay in check.

This is a problem......I sometimes go up a hill and just slow down or give it some nice 3rd gear throttle. It's up to you. If you have an EGT gauge i'd keep your eye on it and just live with the fact you have a boosted honda and just be happy it's fast
Old 04-26-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (adseguy)

im just going to say to keep it in 4th at a very low vacuum. this used to happen to me all the time with my z6-t, it was annoying. since then ive gone to ls-t with gsr tranny and i can do hills in 5th not in boost.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

how much of an incline is this hill??

doesn't boost work by how much load u put down??

can't you just leave it at like 60-70 mph and don't push the pedal any.. and it won't boost??

i'd like to know this info
Old 04-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (mattssi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I just try to go in and out of boost. Like rev slowly to 5-6 psi, then let it go, then slowly go back up </TD></TR></TABLE>

I do that, or.....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pound it in 3rd and then cruise your way up in 4th.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously.....I do either one.....
Old 04-26-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (m R g S r)

Boost the **** out of it in 5th you pussies!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (nfn15037)

Today I just left it in 4th and kept it just below 0 In Hg... worked fine and I was able to keep up with traffic...

What I need to do is get an EGT gauge so I can keep an eye on them.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Happy boosting
Old 04-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they will probally go up because of the load on the engine, but will drop right down when you let off......

ohh yea, and option two is alot easier for me because i have a torqueless b16!!!!! in a heav y *** teggy!
Old 04-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn.. i travel from norcal to socal sometimes and there's this part on the freeway where it's a massive uphill climb for a LONG time... i can't keep it in 4th without having to slow down.. is there a way to keep it in third and partial throttle? i would like to know before i boost my car... if i can't go on the trip without problems, i'm going to have to pause on the turbo setup
Old 04-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

yea man....you can not boost it even if you were at 8000rpm's.......
Old 04-26-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (m R g S r)

If you have a good tune there is no reason why you couldn't drive up a freaking hill. I mean, a 40 minute track session @ 14 PSI doesn't bother my motor, so why should a 5 minute part throttle boost up a hill session?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the best way to get up the hill without hurting my engine? Is there no other way? It won't be the end of the world if I have to crawl up the hill in vacuum every day, but I just want to know if there is another solution.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Go test my closed-loop disable boost-dependent function on the Uber site Then you could kick it over to a little richer as soon as it hits boost, so it stays cool.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go test my closed-loop disable boost-dependent function on the Uber site Then you could kick it over to a little richer as soon as it hits boost, so it stays cool. </TD></TR></TABLE>
you can either do that or you can disable closed loop and tune your part throttle and low boost columns. I have done this and my transition into boost is flawless and i hit just the right afr's at that transition.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (raene)

Someone is gonna have to explain this to me, how exactly does what gear you are in, make it so one may blow their engine?

Keeping it in high revs or keeping it in low revs with 5 lbs of boost? I just dont really see the difference. You guys act as if you are hitting 20 lbs of boost going up a hill and leave it there for an hour.

So please enlighten me, b/c it really doesnt make sense to a non tuning n00b
Old 04-26-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: How do you drive up long hills? (95GSRTT)

It's not really what gear or how much boost. It's mainly how long the engine is stressed for causing high Exhaust Gas Temperatures. We hear a lot hear how someone blew up there engine because of a long pull. usually long pulls = 4th gear or 5th gear highway pulls to redline. If tuned correctly even the stock piston ringlands don't like high and pressure (not just PSI) and extended runs raise the heat and keep the pressue on those weak ringlands. That's why it's smart to stay out of highway pulls, not saying it's not possible, just not as safe as staying in boost for shorter periods of time
Old 04-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Partial throttle boost

Quick Reply: How do you drive up long hills?