Notices

how do sequetial turbos work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do sequetial turbos work?

does any know how they work? Like the TT supra or the TT RX7. Or where I can find info on them? thanks

Old 08-14-2004, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do sequetial turbos work? (Split Image Prez)

a quick and simple answer
Some engines use two turbochargers of different sizes. The smaller one spins up to speed very quickly, reducing lag, while the bigger one takes over at higher engine speeds to provide more boost.

anyways, its a good way to reduce lag, but boost doesnt stay constant, unlike some drag cars that use one huge turbo to get a constant amount of boost.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The twin-turbo RX-7 uses a sequential system that is very clever, but very complicated. The system consists of a bunch of

Solenoids: charge control, turbo control (two of them), turbo pre-control, wastegate control, charge relief, and double throttle control.

Check valves: pressure tank, charge control, and double-throttle control.

Hoses: About 70 ft worth. The silicon hose upgrade kit for this car comes with over 100 ft of hose!

Benefits: A broad and wide powerband with good response everywhere.
Drawbacks: Less peak power, TONS of **** to go wrong, troubleshooting is a pain in the ****.

Quick summary: The RX-7 uses a pair of Hitachi HT-12 turbos. The first turbo comes online and once it reaches its desired boost level, the "wastegate" mechanism for the first turbo (turbo precontrol solenoid) routes the excess exhaust energy to the inlet of the secondary turbo to help it spin up. The secondary turbo is pre-spooled, but not allowed to come online until 4500 RPM. First turbo gets full boost at 2500 RPM, the 2nd one comes online at 45000 RPM, and then it gets crazy from there.

If it were possible to do it without going to a standalone and if it were emissions legal, I would LOVE to just switch everything out to a properly sized single. Something like a ball-bearing T3/T67 would be perfect.

After I play with my RX-7, and I look over boosted Honda stuff, I really enjoy the simplicity that turbo Hondas enjoy.

Sonny

Old 08-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: how do sequetial turbos work? (Sonny)

yea, if i remeber correctly didnt you post pics of the "rats nest" under the intake manifold of you 7? I feel sorry for you guys, having to sort through that **** maze trying to solve a problem
Old 08-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do sequetial turbos work? (Sonny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sonny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The twin-turbo RX-7 uses a sequential system that is very clever, but very complicated. The system consists of a bunch of

Solenoids: charge control, turbo control (two of them), turbo pre-control, wastegate control, charge relief, and double throttle control.

Check valves: pressure tank, charge control, and double-throttle control.

Hoses: About 70 ft worth. The silicon hose upgrade kit for this car comes with over 100 ft of hose!

Benefits: A broad and wide powerband with good response everywhere.
Drawbacks: Less peak power, TONS of **** to go wrong, troubleshooting is a pain in the ****.

Quick summary: The RX-7 uses a pair of Hitachi HT-12 turbos. The first turbo comes online and once it reaches its desired boost level, the "wastegate" mechanism for the first turbo (turbo precontrol solenoid) routes the excess exhaust energy to the inlet of the secondary turbo to help it spin up. The secondary turbo is pre-spooled, but not allowed to come online until 4500 RPM. First turbo gets full boost at 2500 RPM, the 2nd one comes online at 45000 RPM, and then it gets crazy from there.

If it were possible to do it without going to a standalone and if it were emissions legal, I would LOVE to just switch everything out to a properly sized single. Something like a ball-bearing T3/T67 would be perfect.

After I play with my RX-7, and I look over boosted Honda stuff, I really enjoy the simplicity that turbo Hondas enjoy.

Sonny

</TD></TR></TABLE>

WoW! I didn't know there was that much involved with it.... Is the TT supra the same way? Also is there such a thing as just a Twin turbo, but not sequential? thanks again
Old 08-14-2004, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Split Image Prez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also is there such a thing as just a Twin turbo, but not sequential? thanks again </TD></TR></TABLE>

The Greddy kit for the 350z is two 18g's. Works out well for a v6 setup.
http://www.turbokits.com/350Z_turbo_kits.html

-Chris
Old 08-16-2004, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how do sequetial turbos work? (ccfries)

theres a black 350z with that turbo kit in pensacola, it hauls!