Notices

How to calculate intake manifold volume?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to calculate intake manifold volume?

I'm planning on making a custom intake manifold. How do you calculate the intake manifold volume?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to calculate intake manifold volume? (gawath)

take the mani off... put tape over all the holes except the where the throttle body goes... fill with water or some kind of liquid? then pour that into a measuring container of some sort and boom. done.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to calculate intake manifold volume? (LSTEG96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSTEG96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the mani off... put tape over all the holes except the where the throttle body goes... fill with water or some kind of liquid? then pour that into a measuring container of some sort and boom. done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

nice
Old 09-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSTEG96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the mani off... put tape over all the holes except the where the throttle body goes... fill with water or some kind of liquid? then pour that into a measuring container of some sort and boom. done. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:41 PM

I should have stated more clearly. I am looking to make a larger volume custom short runner intake. Does anyone know a formula?

Ex: V (intake) = 5.0L (engine displacement)x 6000rpm (this is not correct, it's just an example)
Old 09-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Banned

Default Re: How to calculate intake manifold volume? (gawath)

there is a lot more into that then just doing what you said above. you need to do A LOT of research than that.
i know, i am doing my thesis on intake manifold design
Old 09-07-2005, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to calculate intake manifold volume? (Burke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is a lot more into that then just doing what you said above. you need to do A LOT of research than that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
if you haven't taken college level calculus, you can probably forget getting really into designing your own intake manifold. do some simple calculations and try to design your own. here's a hint: it's going to have a lot to do with volumetric efficiency vs engine load and RPM, harmonics of air columns, viscous fluid friction, aerodynamics, and some other **** you probably don't want to mess with. but if you're really nice i might help you out with some of that. PM me, but you'd better have a lot of data on EXACTLY what setup you'll be running with it, what kind of power you're expecting (be realistic), and where you want the powerband. i'll get more info from you later.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to calculate intake manifold volume? (95lstegman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95lstegman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if you haven't taken college level calculus, you can probably forget getting really into designing your own intake manifold. do some simple calculations and try to design your own. here's a hint: it's going to have a lot to do with volumetric efficiency vs engine load and RPM, harmonics of air columns, viscous fluid friction, aerodynamics, and some other **** you probably don't want to mess with. but if you're really nice i might help you out with some of that. PM me, but you'd better have a lot of data on EXACTLY what setup you'll be running with it, what kind of power you're expecting (be realistic), and where you want the powerband. i'll get more info from you later.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, lots of smart people around here. I would be curious as to the steps that one might need to take to do something like this just for curiosities sake. I took a lil' bit of calc in school. I just like to learn about stuff like this. Kinda like watchin the discovery/learning/history/science chans.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to calculate intake manifold volume? (KeyserSoze)

Im the same way, just sit back and learn
Old 09-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to calculate intake manifold volume? (93supercoupe)

nope, sorry, i'm not going to even begin to make a how-to DIY intake manifold. like i said, "IF YOU'RE NICE" i'll help you with some calculations.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to calculate intake manifold volume? (95lstegman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95lstegman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nope, sorry, i'm not going to even begin to make a how-to DIY intake manifold. like i said, "IF YOU'RE NICE" i'll help you with some calculations.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, I wasn't even askin for a dyi, cause I prolly wouldn't ever even make one. I was just a curiosity really. Just some gen things to look at or do, I really DONT care about things like amplification or cancellation of air columm harmonics or which bessel function calculation will allow you to arrive at X pressure propagation result. Lol, I feel smart now, just throw a bunch of big words together, feel like I'm back in school. But really np man, it does sound involved and I wouldn't want to put you out just to satisfy our whims.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to calculate intake manifold volume? (KeyserSoze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KeyserSoze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, I wasn't even askin for a dyi, cause I prolly wouldn't ever even make one. I was just a curiosity really. Just some gen things to look at or do, I really DONT care about things like amplification or cancellation of air columm harmonics or which bessel function calculation will allow you to arrive at X pressure propagation result. Lol, I feel smart now, just throw a bunch of big words together, feel like I'm back in school. But really np man, it does sound involved and I wouldn't want to put you out just to satisfy our whims. </TD></TR></TABLE>
if you're not willing to do some fairly extensive calculations, you probably should buy an off-the-shelf manifold. if harmonics scare you, then go design a bracket for your a/c compressor, because moving air columns = intake manifold. there's a lot that goes into an intake manifold, and i'd venture a guess that most aftermarket companies don't get into the physics, they just take a stock one and try to make it shorter and larger, then play around with shortness and largeness until it makes good power. they know full well that they're not designing a manifold for a particular setup, but rather a general increase in power for many different setups, so tuning the manifold to a particular setup is pointless for them. and really, since an off-the-shelf one will only cost you about $200, i'd say you have a hard act to follow in terms of designing your own. although you could make it in, say, solid works, and then fab it up out of carbon or something. then you'd be a true pimp