Notices

Hondata Vs AEM

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata Vs AEM

I have a 99 Si with a 2.0 lsVtec w/ JRSC. I am running 9:1 compression and think that due to the much lower compression that this project was a waste of $$$.

I plan on going turbo but want to run either the Hondata or AEM and see if I get any good results before I make the switch. Which would be better. BTW what does the new wide band o2 sensor do?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:33 PM
New User

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (1strdko)

What state do you live in? Trust me this is a good question, because you'll need to find someone local to tune either one. I live in AZ so I had to learn to tune it myself and spend quite a bit of time on the dyno. So make sure someone who lives close can tune it. I have the AEM and think it has to many feature for ease of use and tuning I'd have to go with Hondata. Later Allen
Old 07-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (abraunb16)

FMU is the best

stan
Old 07-10-2003, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (abraunb16)

I live down the street from you in Tucson. HELP, I have $$$.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (Flamenco-T)

flamenco, what is your setup using the fmu?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (int3gra)

it's a custom FMU setup...top secret, tuned by Arturbo

stan
Old 07-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's a custom FMU setup...top secret, tuned by Arturbo

stan</TD></TR></TABLE>

This post smells like sarcasm.
But, yeah. Go with whatever the people around you can tune.
James
Old 07-10-2003, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (bluboy)

Is it better to go with the standalone or is it just better to go with the Hondata because of many more Hondata tuners?

Again, does anybody know what the wideband o2 AEM unit does?
Old 07-10-2003, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This topic has been killed long ago, it all comes to preferences. Hondata is quite popular these days and tuners are very fond of it making it a good unit but also has its flaws. The EMS can have flaws and is quite complicated to tune unless you have a good tuner thats experienced with it, then its an excellent stand alone. Cant find that many good tuners these days or atleast the ones you can trust.
The wideband o2 is what measures your a/f ratio used for tuning the EMS. This will help the tuner get a good a/f across the fuel map smoothly.

Im running an AEM EMS on my teg and seem to having problems blowing coil drivers on it. As for now, im waiting for a build and looking for a good tuner.

Old 07-11-2003, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We have spent several months - literally - tuning maps for the entire range of Jackson Racing superchargers. They were released a about 8 weeks ago. See the Hondata home page for more info.

In about 2 weeks we expect to add a 2 liter to those tuned. Those maps are available from any Hondata tuner if you would like to have one custom tuned before that time.

These maps should dramatically reduce the tuning time necessary for your car.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (Hondata)

Hi.

I've got, all laying withing fifteen feet of me right now:

- AEM EMS
- Uberdata aka Uberchips tuner
- Hyundaidata 4B

EMS is a very sophisticated, slick unit. If you buy one, you MUST be sure of one of three things: 1) You are a tuner freak, who wants to spend days getting familiar with the EMS and dialing your car in; 2) you are willing to become the aforementioned tuner freak; 3) aforementioned tuner freak owns a dyno near your house, and charges reasonably to tune your EMS. Be prepared to have less than perfect reliability out of the unit; AEM is using the general public to beta test their hardware.

Particularly, getting IAT, CTS, and barometric pressure tables dialed in is most of what makes EMS finicky. I have a friend with a fairly quick B20/VTEC + EMS - line up against him and we are dead even. Six hours later, 20 degrees difference in ambient temp, we line up again and I pull nine car lengths on him in 3rd gear. He'd had a decent dyno tune with the EMS, but needed to run around in differing temps and altitudes with a wideband getting things squared away.

Honestly, I've only run the EMS on my CRX for 4-5 hours - I got sick of poking at it and chucked it into the corner where it wait's it's owner to pick it up. In that same time I could have tuned two or three cars with Hyundaidata/Uberchips/Ghettodyne/etc.

Hyundaidata vs Uberchips is a bit of an unfair comparison, but I'm going to make it anyway. Hyundaidata is a very polished, finished product. Doug should be beat in the head for saddling the general public with Xtronic's Pocket ***** instead of a real chip burner. It has datalogging and such - very nifty! You get some pretty good product support for it, it is fluent, finding a tuner if you aren't comfortable tuning your own is very easy. You tune it once, damn if it doesn't stay tuned without any drama or hassle. Sadly, you can't make it do backflips or speak sweetly to you in a low tone of voice like the EMS, but whatever. S100 and a trip to the tuner is fairly affordable, as these things go.

Uberdata runs very well - just like Hyundaidata it is mostly based on OEM Honda code. Product support is lacking, it is not fluent, the tuner app is wierd to use and glitchy; it would be a tuning nightmare for a n00b to try to pick up. If you have a decent grasp of speed density theory, it would be an option worth considering - I could tune it in my sleep, but that is me. You don't get datalogging or a number of other nice add ons which if you need those things will cost you $$$ to buy add ons.

What do I run? None of the above.

*kiss*, Doug. Nice to see you abouts... if you haven't heard me say it yet, you're too goddamn nice and don't swear enough.

Old 07-11-2003, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (J. Davis)

So is there any fuel mangement that you would recommend?
Old 07-11-2003, 08:14 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you buy one, you MUST be sure of one of three things: 1) You are a tuner freak, who wants to spend days getting familiar with the EMS and dialing your car in;
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey ... thats me! havent booted up the laptop to tune in a few weeks. lovin it.

dont recommend it for the average joe. i do crazy chit for a living so the ems is a plaything to me.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Chopper 2 Hopper

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (Turbologist)

Hondata gets from me.

Too bad the only good Hondata tuner is like Payntech in Michigan and thats like pretty far from Chicago
Old 07-11-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (tommySI)

Who are the best known tuners that have done a good job their cars (in AZ or CA)?
Old 07-11-2003, 09:38 AM

I meant good job tunning cars. Thanks!!
Old 07-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I heard numerous of good stuff from doctor honda aka charles from Autolink. There is also import builders in fullerton, they are pretty good but not sure if they can tune anymore due to some stupid bad mouthing about thier business. Another place in San Diego called AEBS also deal with hondata.

http://www.hondata.com/contact.html heres a link to all the locations of Hondata dealers.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (falconGSR)

aem is a handful but you learn a boatload.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (SiRkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiRkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aem is a handful but you learn a boatload.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a great ******* attitude you have there. Most people are afraid to learn.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:23 AM

well there is one big ******* problem a JRSC any type of supercharger is pointless on a 4 banger good luck and buy a precision sc 61 then have some real fun
Old 07-11-2003, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata Vs AEM (BoostedsiR)

AEM here. Version 1.0 is a ton better than the previous versions. I currently have .94 but 1.0 will come soon. A lot less button pushing and thinking involved.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1strdko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Who are the best known tuners that have done a good job their cars (in AZ or CA)? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't trust anyone in AZ to touch my car.

I might be able to mess with your hondata soon. I am going to the Hondata tuning seminar on July 26th@ Church automotive in Torrance.

Church, from what I have seen, does a extremely good job on hondata.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedsiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well there is one big ******* problem a JRSC any type of supercharger is pointless on a 4 banger good luck and buy a precision sc 61 then have some real fun </TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen. Real Forced Induction power is made through turbo.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:29 PM
TurboJesse

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedsiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well there is one big ******* problem a JRSC any type of supercharger is pointless on a 4 banger good luck and buy a precision sc 61 then have some real fun </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not everyone wants a 400+ whp fwd car that is a headache to drive....although i do But i know people running very simple easy setups that make the car fun to drive, to some people thats all that maters...
Old 07-11-2003, 02:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Flamenco-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FMU is the best

stan</TD></TR></TABLE>
lol

Quick Reply: Hondata Vs AEM