Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hondata/Romulator/FJO Injector Driver/IACV = Wierdness

Wack cars

Modified by Blown90hatcH at 9:45 PM 5/18/2007
Old 02-22-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump for some info on teh gehyness....Have you tried a different romulator? is the battery possibly dead?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for some info on teh gehyness....Have you tried a different romulator? is the battery possibly dead?</TD></TR></TABLE>

My spare romulator is on loan and I will get it back on Friday. The green light comes on in my romulator when I have it connected. I works fine in other cars. I drive my car how it is with no issues, but have to burn the chip and install it.

I can select the correct COM port and it says that it is connected. I go into the pocket romulator software, eliminating the rom editor, connect to the correct COM port ok. Buffer to ROM ok, confirm this in the pocket romulator software and still solid CEL after cycling the key.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for some info on teh gehyness</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-23-2006, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bumpx2

i checked BLOWN90HATCJs romulators/s200 box, on my car and all works good.

so i know its not the romulator or the s200 box
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Hondata/Romulator/FJO Injector Driver/IACV = Wierdness (Blown90hatcH)

Yeah those signs are common in the Kent and Renton area. Kent is the epicenter of the street racing world in Washington, or so it seems. I'm very proud to be smart enough to track my car and not street race.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata/Romulator/FJO Injector Driver/IACV = Wierdness (SwedBoy2999)

Bump for the hopeless.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata/Romulator/FJO Injector Driver/IACV = Wierdness (Blown90hatcH)

How'd you wire the FJO box in? Drawing from ECU power?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata/Romulator/FJO Injector Driver/IACV = Wierdness (J. Davis)

Load any bin to the romulator... then hook it into your chip burner... load that same bin up and Verify it.... check that the emulator is doing its thing.

edit: so it was all tested... I'd double check the ecu then.... If the box works, and the romulator works... i'd be suspecting the ecu.

Modified by splitime at 2:34 PM 2/23/2006
Old 02-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How'd you wire the FJO box in? Drawing from ECU power?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty much how the instructions say. Cut injector wires....install FJO into those. The 12V switch is going to the fuse panel. The power wires on the injectors are going from where the resistor box power wires were. Remove resistor box of course.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">edit: so it was all tested... I'd double check the ecu then.... If the box works, and the romulator works... i'd be suspecting the ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Three ecu's tested. The car runs great with all three ecu's when I burn a chip and install it.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try powering FJO box directly from battery.

Widebands get wierd datalogging skewage through the ECU when power is taken from the wrong place, with how resistances flop around under dynamic load. Sounds like you have a wierd ground problem.

OH YAH hope you aren't taking laptop power from the cig lighter, that has been a problem for me in the past on a car. Laptop would charge on the lighter alone, but once the EconoROM3 + wideband + stuffs were hooked up, it would not charge unless the USB datalogging cable was hooked up. I ended up frying TE 2A0's MCU and one EconoROM3 because of that, joyous day.

You get enough ground-sensitive microcircuitry piggybacked together, ground loops become a HUGE problem. I guarantee that is what your problem is.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try powering FJO box directly from battery.

Widebands get wierd datalogging skewage through the ECU when power is taken from the wrong place, with how resistances flop around under dynamic load. Sounds like you have a wierd ground problem.

OH YAH hope you aren't taking laptop power from the cig lighter, that has been a problem for me in the past on a car. Laptop would charge on the lighter alone, but once the EconoROM3 + wideband + stuffs were hooked up, it would not charge unless the USB datalogging cable was hooked up. I ended up frying TE 2A0's MCU and one EconoROM3 because of that, joyous day.

You get enough ground-sensitive microcircuitry piggybacked together, ground loops become a HUGE problem. I guarantee that is what your problem is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm building my own adapter harness just for this reason... I almost melted my emulator cable when I somehow developed a ground through one of the cables....

I'll be pulling wideband power from my ecu harness now... and laptop I just keep 2 batteries ... i hate adding more wires into the cabin

I'm unsure if you tuning software supports it... but I use the Ostrich from http://www.moates.net... and love it. Plug in the usb... change rom whenever I feel like it... and drive car on it.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata/Romulator/FJO Injector Driver/IACV = Wierdness (splitime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll be pulling wideband power from my ecu harness now... </TD></TR></TABLE>

That skews AFR readings when wideband output is logged through the ECU. With how much the ECU draws at WOT and or high rpm due to all the sensors and actuators it is supporting, you end up with a dynamic resistance and ground loops in your wideband's power circuit. Drawing power from the ECU feeds can throw off AFR readings by as much as 2 points (to the rich side) in the higher rpms.

Go directly to the battery for your power and ground for *everything* when it comes to precision instrumentation/tuning gear. If it's a permanent instrumentation install, use a relay triggered by switched ignition power to connect your gear to the battery.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try powering FJO box directly from battery.

You get enough ground-sensitive microcircuitry piggybacked together, ground loops become a HUGE problem. I guarantee that is what your problem is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol. The FJO is the injector driver. IT is powered to the fuse panel. I have a PLX wideband hard wired into the car. For the heck of it, I have removed the PLX and that didn't work either.

Laptop is running off the battery. I will try and power the laptop up to the house plug and see if having power to the lap top works.

For the record...geyness....the green light on the romulator is on when I connect it to the com port and hit the good ole ctrl w.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">-Moved the IACV down below the horizontal line of the coolant pass tube on the rear of the block. Extended plug/wires. Can you mount the IACV below the coolant pass tube water line?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats how I have it in my car. Its actually bolted to the rear x-member and I have 0 problems with it.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hondata/Romulator/FJO Injector Driver/IACV = Wierdness (TrueNorthStar)

Tried loading the ROM into the Emulator while its NOT plugged into the ECU?

Like unplug it, load the ROM to the emulator...disconnect the laptop and then plug the emulator into the ECU, turn on car power and go?

Tried loading the ROM through the Xtronics software? Maybe is has something to do with the software and not the hardware???
Old 02-23-2006, 07:52 PM

JK i really hope you figure this out bro! And for the record all his tuning **** worked great when he tuned me in Seattle. ahhah loving the pic of the sign you took Jay
Old 02-24-2006, 07:23 AM

Given the nature of the electrical problems on your car I would suspect strongly that there is a ground loop condition. Improper or floating grounds cause all manner of problem with electronics. Verify all grounds are actually at chassis ground potenital and re-trace your wiring including the guages etc.

The FJO injector driver is optically isolated on the input side i.e. the input signal from your ECU. There is no electrical connection between the ECU and the injector driver. Internally the electical signals from the ECU are converted to light pulses and optically transmitted to the output optical convertor. This is all solid state within a single chip built expressly for this purpose. Verify that the power and ground wires to the FJO injector driver are good and direct to their respective sources.

Ross.