Notices

hondata questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hondata questions...

what exactly is is and what does it do, is it a form of a stand alone, basically need to know everything about it to see if its worth getting...
Old 01-02-2003, 06:53 PM
I am a bad person

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hondata questions... (crx31286)

check out hondata .com or do a search for info. the hondata is covered in apost like every other day. http://www.hondata.com

its a piggyback that does what most standalones do to a point. you can run 30+ psi of boost and 550+ hp but thats getting close to its limits.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:07 PM

Default Re: hondata questions... (MotorMatrix.com)

everything MotorMatrix.com said. You will have to convert your car to OBDI, if your car is not already. requires a OBD2-OBD1 wire harness, and an OBD1 ecu, p30, p28, p72. A lot of tuners say it is easier and faster to tune than others.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata questions... (DeepSi)

everything MotorMatrix.com said. You will have to convert your car to OBDI, if your car is not already. requires a OBD2-OBD1 wire harness, and an OBD1 ecu, p30, p28, p72. A lot of tuners say it is easier and faster to tune than others.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata questions... (MotorMatrix.com)

its a piggyback that does what most standalones do to a point. you can run 30+ psi of boost and 550+ hp but thats getting close to its limits.
It is a standalone system, not a piggyback. Hondata has made the science of reverse engineering Honda ECUs into an Art; their ECUs feature better resolution than anything except a $3K Motec, as well as any number of special features.

Boost is limited to 29 psi, just like all other stand alone systems, due to the limitation of the GM 3 bar MAP sensor. Whatever power you can get from your engine at 29 psi is the "limit".

The box that MotorMatrix is confusing with a piggyback unit is used for security - you need the box to make a Hondata ECU work, otherwise it could be pirated with a $70 chip burner. It has the clutch input run to it for the clutch cut revlimiter for launch control, a pic16 chip for security, and I'm fairly certain some Max233 circuitry for TTL<-->serial conversion so you can hook the ECU up to a laptop for datalogging.

I generally badmouth Hondata and Zdyne for what they charge for their non-tuneable boost ECUs - it exceeds a reasonable profit at ~$500, and any serious minded DIYer can do better for $100. However, anyone who has played with a Hondata 4b (or the new S200) can tell you that the fully tuneable package with datalogging and provisions for a wideband O2 input is worth every penny of the $1200 they command. Definitely a first class product.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata questions... (J. Davis)

It is a standalone system, not a piggyback. Hondata has made the science of reverse engineering Honda ECUs into an Art; their ECUs feature better resolution than anything except a $3K Motec, as well as any number of special features.

****I dont think so****

Boost is limited to 29 psi, just like all other stand alone systems, due to the limitation of the GM 3 bar MAP sensor. Whatever power you can get from your engine at 29 psi is the "limit".

****most standalones are only limited to the 3 bar sensor not the system****
****buy a 5 bar...if needed...Haltech / FAST / Motec....can be used with them****

The box that MotorMatrix is confusing with a piggyback unit is used for security - you need the box to make a Hondata ECU work, otherwise it could be pirated with a $70 chip burner. It has the clutch input run to it for the clutch cut revlimiter for launch control, a pic16 chip for security, and I'm fairly certain some Max233 circuitry for TTL<-->serial conversion so you can hook the ECU up to a laptop for datalogging.

****it is a piggyback, it modifys the factory ECU configuration****

I generally badmouth Hondata and Zdyne for what they charge for their non-tuneable boost ECUs - it exceeds a reasonable profit at ~$500, and any serious minded DIYer can do better for $100. However, anyone who has played with a Hondata 4b (or the new S200) can tell you that the fully tuneable package with datalogging and provisions for a wideband O2 input is worth every penny of the $1200 they command. Definitely a first class product.
****we sell them...they are a great product , but each customer needs to be evaluated so they can be setup with the proper unit. Try running anything larger than a 950cc injector with a Hondata, BLAH. Even 750cc are difficult to idle, due to the limitations of the injector driver. If it was such a great standalone racers would use them. There are only a few systems out that could idle a set of 1600cc injectors without goin dead at idle, this is due to the driver. If precise control of what your doin is needed for a high hp app. the hondata is not the proper choice.**** its not a standalone
Old 01-02-2003, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata questions... (AR Fab)

I think I've just been spanked on tech. I've got some good Hondata experience, but never with a car making huge hp. My apologies.

The limitation isn't the driver, FWIW, but the code, which limits you to a minimum 1.08 ms pulsewidth. What the actual limitation of the driver is, I couldn't guess. Drivers can be swapped out, so it's an issue with the programming.

As far as calibration for a 5 bar sensor... you can do that with the Honda ECU as well. I've done as much myself with the limiting MAP voltage and remapping the stock ECU maps for both stock MAP and GM 2 bar. If Hondata doesn't support it for you *shrug* I guess it comes back to the injector pulsewidth/supported injector size issue.

[Modified by J. Davis, 7:15 AM 1/3/2003]
Old 01-03-2003, 06:48 AM
I am a bad person

Default Re: hondata questions... (J. Davis)

My car is running 980c injectors and it idles like it is on 310's. i have no problems with idle at all. the only thing i had a problem with is when i went to a clutchmaster double disc and their 6lb flywheel. then idle started to get rough. we leaned it out and bumped the idle to 1100 and its a lot better now. Pro racers arent going to use the hondata i think just becuase of the mess of the wiring harness. its more time consuming pulling the harness to get the motor out. I can tell you will 570whp in a very light car you could go mid 9's very easily. not the ideal management but it does work well enough to go mid 9's.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: hondata questions

"If it was such a great standalone racers would use them. "

Two of the fastest racing Hondas in the world use the Hondata ECU.

- Erick's racing - with a 10.24 second 1/4 all motor Honda
- Progress Group's 204 mph 1.8 supercharged Civic - A Bonneville top speed record holder.

This does not mean that Hondata systems are suitable for every application. As previously mentioned you need to evaluate each customers requirements.

Hondata systems are standalone. No piggyback is required, as they are based off the stock ECU.

[Modified by Hondata, 11:08 AM 1/4/2003]

[Modified by Hondata, 11:09 AM 1/4/2003]