Notices

Hondata

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata

FI noob here, have learned alot reading and asking around here over the last few weeks but its still a learning process...and honestly when it comes the tuning part of FI Im still clueless.

This is a probably a stupid *** question, but if I were to use Hondata for my setup is it basically plug and play? Can I run it just like that...obviously it wouldnt result in optimal performance but I kind of just want to be able run it so I can get it to a professional tuner (2-3 hrs drive).
Old 03-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hondata

you can have base maps put on them, but for that long of a drive, I would trailer it...there is usually alot of money involved in a nice FI setup, and to risk it all in the final stage because it was a little more cumbersome to trailer it, is stupid
Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by srmofo
you can have base maps put on them, but for that long of a drive, I would trailer it...there is usually alot of money involved in a nice FI setup, and to risk it all in the final stage because it was a little more cumbersome to trailer it, is stupid
I agree i would trailer the car if our going to be driving that long. so you dont risk hurting the motor or anything else.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Just found a tuner thats only about a 1 hour 15 min drive although Im assuming that would be pretty risky as well...were can you read more about these basemaps and of course were can I get them? Ive tried googling but cant really find anything informative.

On a side note, anybody know any reputable tuners in San Antonio, Tx?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, you could always drive it with the stock injectors and stock ECU and then swap them out when you get there.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Wut???
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and disconnect a charge pipe so you don't boost. Meant to add that too.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ This can work..
Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Only one charge pipe? Doesnt matter which one?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont have to disconnect anything.
just dont get boost. stay away from heavy load.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 PM

What do you mean exactly?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jpo20
What do you mean exactly?
As long as you don't boost, you'll be fine with your stock injectors and tune as it will be just a normal car. I said to loosen or disconnect one of your charge pipes to make sure your car won't see boost, but as long as you stay off the throttle you don't have to do that, but if you wanted to make sure your car doesn't boost, then no it does't matter which pipe you loosen or take off. You'd probably be OK just removing your BOV.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by jpo20
FI noob here, have learned alot reading and asking around here over the last few weeks but its still a learning process...and honestly when it comes the tuning part of FI Im still clueless.

This is a probably a stupid *** question, but if I were to use Hondata for my setup is it basically plug and play? Can I run it just like that...obviously it wouldnt result in optimal performance but I kind of just want to be able run it so I can get it to a professional tuner (2-3 hrs drive).
When you purchase a hondata system from a reputable dealer, they generally will provide you with a basemap calibration to get you started on. :-)
Old 03-25-2009, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DO NOT dissconnect a charge pipe. this will allow the turbo to just freespool and can damage it if its overspun. Just drive it easy and it wont boost and you will be fine. IDK how far you are from T1 but thats the plcae to go in TX
Old 03-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Allright thanks alot for your help guys...so I guess I'll use the stock injectors and ecu. Another question--I have an E85 station like 10 mins from my place, say I wanted to use that do I have to get it tuned for that?

Originally Posted by mtber
When you purchase a hondata system from a reputable dealer, they generally will provide you with a basemap calibration to get you started on. :-)
How reliable are these basemaps? What can and cant they handle, how long do you recommend running it before going to a professional tuner?

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
DO NOT dissconnect a charge pipe. this will allow the turbo to just freespool and can damage it if its overspun. Just drive it easy and it wont boost and you will be fine. IDK how far you are from T1 but thats the plcae to go in TX
Location of T1?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

5121 Grisham Dr. ste A
Rowlett TX 75088
214-607-9022
Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I forget which thread it was but this same question was addressed and it was decided that it was fine to disconnect the charge pipe. Honestly, I forget the logic but I remember reading they ended up saying it was okay. I'm going to try and find it.

EDIT!!!!! I take it back lol. I couldn't find it, but the logic doesn't make sense anyways haha

Last edited by accord_raffi; 03-26-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it makes perfect sense. a turbo cant just spinn any rpm. its only designed to spin so much rpm and if you over spin the turbo just like and engine = failure
Old 03-26-2009, 12:50 PM

Hey i also have a hondata s300. I am going to take a long trip to my tuner its approx 40mins away. Will it be ok to travel that distance with out hitting boost at 60mph. I also have a ur underdrive crank pully is it ok to keep it or should i go back to my stock one for boost.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep stock those underdrive units are not harmonic balancers there just a pulley and you need somethign to absorbe the harmonics of the engine. ideal would be an ati or fluidamper but stock is much better than those underdrives
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it makes perfect sense. a turbo cant just spinn any rpm. its only designed to spin so much rpm and if you over spin the turbo just like and engine = failure
I meant that the logic that it wouldn't overspin does not make sense. I said it poorly though. No worries, I'm in agreement with you.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In my opinion I would just trailer this thing, why would you go through the process of trying to stay to out of boost and having to switch out parts when you get there. I would just build it, get it setup exactly how you want then get it up on the trailer and take her down.

Again this is my opinion, it seems like the easiest way for me. Last thing you want to do is blow a piston when you finally got your car all done.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:32 PM

Ok explain this to me whats the big differance from keeping the stock, to the ur racing underdrive crank pully. I know that other pullys out there are better, but i have a ur underdrive crank pully on my car now and short with cash, but i do have my stock one whats the differance between them..
Old 03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On is obviously smaller than the other and weighs less. The stock one has rubber inside of it to dampen the above mentioned harmonics that can destroy crank bearings if not present. The UR pulley is just a chunk of metal smaller than the original allowing the rest of the things run off it to run at a lesser speed and also free up weight on the crank supposedly increasing HP but in the end leaves you stranded on the side of the road with a bad crank and wrecked bearings. Remove it and put the stock on back on. You will thank me later!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just put boost cut at 1 psi to be on the safe side

Quick Reply: Hondata