Notices

honda_power's Turbo 5th Gen Prelude Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 honda_power's Turbo 5th Gen Prelude Build

Hi all, an old H-T'er coming back to start my first build thread. I used to post regularly in the Tech/Misc section and have been an FI lurker for years. This will be an ongoing and constantly updated build thread. Not going to be anything ground-breaking or extreme amounts of custom fab anything, but this is my first turbo build ever on the 4th Honda I've ever owned.

The Car:
2001 Honda Prelude SH

Got this car basically free in a trade for my old Integra.
99k on the clock, and burning oil like a true H-series. I was actually planning this build to be a stock-block build at first on conservative boost and tuning, but adding a quart of oil every 1000 miles doesn't put my mind at ease about boosting said engine. I'm over the FRM sleeves and I've only owned the car 2 months, so sleeving will def be happening.

Spent some money initially removing the previous owners bumper stickers (where I'm pretty sure I found a bullet-hole underneath), autozone euro taillights and insanely oxidized headlights (went with some black housing Depos and couldn't be happier with them).

Some oxidation on the roof, the reason I'll be painting the car. Just not keen on silver either, wanting to do some type of White I think.

The Plan:
The original stock-block plan was to push as close to 400whp as possible while still trying to have a conservative tune. This is a 100% daily driver that needs to function, however I'm completely ok with the quirks involved in dd'ing a high horsepower turbo Honda. The new plan is to bite the bullet, take a little longer, and resleeve/build the engine. I'm most certainly not made of money, so this will be an ongoing build as parts roll in. Don't expect daily updates, but this build will come to completion, I've wanted this for way too long and its finally happening.

This build is by no means set in stone, so far I have not purchased a single part from my original build list that I came up with. Have gone upgraded and over-budget on everything I've gotten thus far, and plan to continue that trend, we all know it'll cost less in the end. I'm open to suggestions, criticism, and general build discussion. Also feel free to ask your own questions in my thread if it pertains to your own builds, the more discussion the better.

The Goods:
Precision 5858 Billet Wheel .53 a/r T4 Turbine Housing (purchased)
Synapse Motorsports T4 Flanged Twisted Ram Manifold (purchased)
P28 OBD1 ECU (purchased)
OBD2-OBD1 Conversion Harness (purchased)
ID1000 Injectors (purchased)
Turbo Feed/Return Line Kit (purchased)
Omni 2.5bar MAP Sensor (purchased)
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump (purchased)
Various Cosmetic/De-ricing items (purchased)
3" Exhaust System
Forged Piston
Forged Rods
Cams
Sleeves
Intercooler
I/C Piping
Radiator
Radiator Fan
Boost Solenoid
Wastegate
B.O.V.
Engine Mounts (need to be replaced)
Intake Manifold or work on existing mani (Def not keeping the butterfly system for boost)
Complete Coilover System
Rota Grids
Paint

Comments:
As stated earlier I'm open to anything, especially differing recommendations from different people. I've had a LOT of great conversations with people since the purchasing portion of this build began, and learned what real customer service is like, and what I have now come to expect from people I buy from. Jon at Phearable.net (best customer service I've received anywhere for anything, take notes), Morgan and Greg at Synapse Motorsports, Steve at GetPowerHouse.com.

If theres anything I've learned already in this process its that you should definitely call the shop you plan to order your parts from. I could've done the order-online deal for every place that I ordered from so far, and sooo glad I didn't. There is much to be said for people that call you back after-hours and talk about your build for 2 hours helping you decide whats best for you (looking at you Jon@phearable), let these people help you.

Pics:

Synapse Turbo Manifold:

I'll get some better pictures of this masterpiece tonight, this thing really is artwork. Can't complain about lifetime warranty either.

Precision 5858 Turbo:

ID1000 Injectors:

Walboro 255 Fuel Pump:

OBD1 P28 ECU chipped by Phearable, OBD2->OBD1 Conversion Harness, & Phearable Oil Feed/Return Line Kit:

Last edited by honda_power69; 09-13-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added photos, cleaned up.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: honda_power's Turbo 5th Gen Prelude Build

Reserved.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At first I was going to make fun of you for having one of those bullet hole stickers. But its actually real!
Good luck on the build. I love 5th gen Preludes!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm really kinda on the fence here about what to do internal-wise. Since I was originally planning a stock block build I didn't do a terrible amount of research on internals. I'm planning on having the block sleeved at ERL since they are driving distance to me and would be nice to get to talk in person and see the shop.

Considering going 88-89mm on the bore after sleeving and possibly using an f23 crank to get a little more displacement, still up in the air on this though.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
At first I was going to make fun of you for having one of those bullet hole stickers. But its actually real!
Good luck on the build. I love 5th gen Preludes!
I'm sure there's a good story behind it somewhere lol.