Notices

Holset HE351

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holset HE351

Hey guys I read the Thread Holset Users unite and I didnt see any info on the HE351 VGT. I just need to ask a few quick questions. From the pictures I see it looks like it'll fit the manifold I have. But that elbow coming from it what do I do with that? And what do I do with the wiring that comes with it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-09...#ht_3196wt_939

My setup is:

GSR
Pistons and Rods 81.5mm
Blox Intake Manifold
Turbosmart Wastegate
Competition Clutch
Gsr Cams
And s200 with Boost.

I am looking for about 350 whp.

Will this turbo do 350? is it too laggy? what turbo is it compared to from the Garrett line? Thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Holset HE351

the exhaust elbow looks like it's held on by a vband of some sort, so you should be able to take that off and have a regular DP fabbed..

now for what i know to be bad news.. noone that i know of, has figured out how to control the VGT system on these turbo's.. if your unfamiliar with this system, I'm not the person to give you info on it, so don't take what i'm about to tell you to be the truth, but from what i understand of it, there are mechanical workings inside the turbo that are controlled by the servo and solenoid, to adjust the fins on the intake side and it helps it spool faster then once it's spinning, it moves them for more boost... the Mini Cooper-S runs something similar i believe.. so all in all, this whole feature, unless you have some serious skills, will be useless...

here's a wiki page on it, and though that doesn't make it completely reliable, it has for info than i can provide..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variabl...y_turbocharger
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowhitEJ1
the exhaust elbow looks like it's held on by a vband of some sort, so you should be able to take that off and have a regular DP fabbed..

now for what i know to be bad news.. noone that i know of, has figured out how to control the VGT system on these turbo's.. if your unfamiliar with this system, I'm not the person to give you info on it, so don't take what i'm about to tell you to be the truth, but from what i understand of it, there are mechanical workings inside the turbo that are controlled by the servo and solenoid, to adjust the fins on the intake side and it helps it spool faster then once it's spinning, it moves them for more boost... the Mini Cooper-S runs something similar i believe.. so all in all, this whole feature, unless you have some serious skills, will be useless...

here's a wiki page on it, and though that doesn't make it completely reliable, it has for info than i can provide..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variabl...y_turbocharger

Isn't the VGT system for the wastegate??? I'm thinking if you are running an external gate, couldn't you weld the internal shut, and just not hook up the electronics?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking that the VGT was going to be a problem. Oh and Jared wats up man this is B.G. I want a Holset turbo I just found this one for 270 ish shipped. Do you think I can get an HX35 for around the same price? Or if someone can chime in on bypassing the VGT that would be a lot of help.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PM me dude.. you know me obviously, but i don't recognize B.G. sorry

on topic, i got both of my HX35's for <300 shipped (each)
go ahead and buy a rebuild kit too.. you can do it yourself from what i've read.. i'll be trying it this weekend (wish me luck!!!)
Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else on the VGT?
Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

???????????????
Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on guys I really need help with this VGT situation I want to know if it'll work or not?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check out a cummins forum, and see what they have to say on it... but I would suggest masking yourself as a diesel guy
Old 02-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I did some searching on google and I found out that the turbo will work, I dont really care for the VGT so hopefully it can be bypassed and there was a guy that did actually control the VGT on a Plymouth Laser, but even if I wanted it I dont know how I wold go about doing it on a Honda platform
Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just hook a spring up to it that will keep it closed until exhaust forces it open, and hopefully at that point in time the turbo is spooled up.

if not get a spring that is a little stiffer.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be cool if you had some engine management that could control the vanes in the turbo.
VGT technology is pretty cool. The vanes direct exhaust flow to help spool up. Once the exhaust gasses get flowing and boost starts building, the vanes move out of the way to improve flow.
Boost is controlled by these vanes also, so a wastgate is no longer needed. Once max boost is reached, the vanes direct airflow off the exhaust wheel essentially creating a free-er flowing exhaust...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PyroProblem
It would be cool if you had some engine management that could control the vanes in the turbo.
VGT technology is pretty cool. The vanes direct exhaust flow to help spool up. Once the exhaust gasses get flowing and boost starts building, the vanes move out of the way to improve flow.
Boost is controlled by these vanes also, so a wastgate is no longer needed. Once max boost is reached, the vanes direct airflow off the exhaust wheel essentially creating a free-er flowing exhaust...
Yea it would be nice to control VGT. Which brings my next question, if not in use will VGT screw anything up?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think it will screw anything up. Its just a function of the turbo you wont be using...What would be kinda neat though would be to somehow lock the vanes in 1 position, run the car,dyno it and record the lag.
Then readjust the vanes to midway or so, retest, and see how your powerband and lag changes...
Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On TurboByHolset.com, TurboTalk.org, R e a l H o m e d T u r b o.com (lol), and some of the Cummins Diesel sites have way of controlling the VNT.

It has been discussed on controlling the VNT/VGT using a OBD I Honda ECU similar to boost control circuits with NepTune, Hondata, and EcTune.

But I have seen simple uses of springs to control VNT/VGT vanes, you just have to play around with different spring tensions.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used one it spools fast. Heres the problem they are huge as in no room and you will have to have a custom made manifold .I went with a hx35 because you can use a standard t3 manifold. I got the vgt to work with a spring i held the vgt close then the exhaust pressure would open it up.It would start spooling by 3000 rpm full boost by 4000
no matter how much boost i put at it. The exhaust housing gets in the way of every thing.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:03 PM

I'm not sure if its been covered, but you can order the HE351 with a pneumatically controlled VGT actuator.

the spring in the OE unit might be too stiff to be used at sane boost levels, but you could always pull it off and use a std 7psi actuator and a boost controller to "tune" the vane openings.