High HP single cams HEEEELLLLLPPPP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High HP single cams HEEEELLLLLPPPP!

I need help from anyone out there running a single cam setup. I am having a hard time with my tranny holding the horsepower and torque that I am throwing at it. I am currently running a fully built single cam setup that is putting out 450 hp and 340 torque. I can not get my trans. to work with me at all. I am having a hard time shifting gears while I run. I just want to know from some of you guys out there that are running the same or higher hp and torque what you guys are using or have done to help the trans hold up. I really need help so if any of you guys could help I would greatly appreciate it. The tranny also has a obx lsd that is holding up well its just my syncros and gears that are not. If any of guys know anyone also that might sell trans. conversion kit to allow me to use a b-series tranny HOLLA! thanks for all your feed back and helping relating to this issue.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High HP single cams HEEEELLLLLPPPP! (rota92)

Do you still have your d2b setup? or did you already get rid of it? I had a perfectly good 99 ex tranny that i had the diff put in on and then from there that only lasted me no more then a week. Ever since then I have not been able to get it working properly. Do you have racer steve's information where I can get a hold of him? what would you think that setup would be?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High HP single cams HEEEELLLLLPPPP! (evild16)

You can either go rota92's route or figure out why your are grenading tranny's. I have had the same tranny for about 3 years. We recently broke the tranny due to a couple of extremely violent launches. We learned not to do that **** anymore! lol. Anyway, If your mounts are causing your trans/engine to move around that can cause carnage. Or if your dumping the clutch at 8000 rpm that can do it also. Give us somemore info!
Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM

same tranny here year and a half.. motor moutns play qa big part in the syncros going.. ebay short throws kill syncros also.. get after market moutns and go wi ththe race ones not the street...
Old 10-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

screw syncros id be more worried about gears..

ive been through 4 third gears and 2 fourth gears..and all were rebuilds. and i dont do anything stupid like dumping clutches or anything else. except for the last one where it was completely my fault and i admit it. i misshifted 3rd real bad. but does get driven alot.

talk with RacerStev on here about treating your gearset.. im having him treat 6 extra spare sets of 3rd and 4th gears right now just for the heck of it.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

How can I get a hold of racer steve? if anyone has info please share. My current setup is as follows: I am currently running driver side and rear innovative solid mounts. I will admit I did forget about changing the pass. side tranny mount out. Didn't realize that would cause problems with shifting. Clutch is a competion clutch 6 puck sprung hub stage 4. I am also running a short throw shifter but it is definitely not no cheap ebay one. I have thought about replacing it though with a stock gsr and see if that would help out any. I also have the energy suspension linkage mounts. Those seem to help make a difference where as the linkage doesn't feel loose anymore. Thanks for all the help and feed back. Any and all info is helpful. Are any of you guys running a diff. at all and if so what kind? My tranny has a obx diff. I will try and post a pic of my setup as soon as I figure out how.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (evild16)

pm RacerStev on here.

where did you get the innovate rear mount? is it solid?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i have a avid solid rear mount and innovative driver side mount. I need to replace the pass. side tranny mount and replace that. i will probably order that tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never broke a single part in my tranny, ran it hard everytime i drove it, even at the track. dont bang the **** out of it when you shift, you have to shift smooth, and fast...i used to shift from 1-2 with 2 fingers, and 2-3 with my palm. be gentle your tranny will love you for it. guys that problems with trannys are beating the **** out of them and/or have other underlying issues. this isnt rocket science, your putting 4x as much power to components that arent meant for that...be easy on them.

Gorrilla shifting FTL
Old 10-30-2007, 08:02 AM

gorilla shift = misshift
Old 10-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when i read the title I already knew who it was..
Bump for a local... hope someone comes up with a good idea/deal for you.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast2camciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast2camciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I never broke a single part in my tranny, ran it hard everytime i drove it, even at the track. dont bang the **** out of it when you shift, you have to shift smooth, and fast...i used to shift from 1-2 with 2 fingers, and 2-3 with my palm. be gentle your tranny will love you for it. guys that problems with trannys are beating the **** out of them and/or have other underlying issues. this isnt rocket science, your putting 4x as much power to components that arent meant for that...be easy on them.

Gorrilla shifting FTL</TD></TR></TABLE>

and how many miles of abuse on your tranny do you think you had?

for me, its not because of beating the **** out of it. trust me. you think i like replacing 3rd and 4th gears all the time? what ive learned is dont do too many 3rd or 4th gear pulls on the highway. normal drag racing from a stop and youll never have problems.

RacerStev
Old 10-30-2007, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rota92)

Well i am not quite sure when it messed up. I have not opened the case yet becuz i have just been pissed off. But I will give you guys a run down on what exactly is happening. When I am in 2nd,3rd and 4th gears and come to an idle the trans pops out of gear. The other problem is that I can not get it into 5th gear and if i am able to it gets stuck to wear i have to use both hands to pull it out because it gets stuck. The other thing is during a race when i try and shift between gears, I can not get them to go into gear easily. Now I am usually shifting gears at around 8000 to 8500 rpms. The clutch is brand new only has 3 passes and some dyno tuning runs on it. So I don't think it is the clutch but will check just to make sure. If any body has anymore ideas please share ASAP please. Thanks again for all the feed back.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well expletive, i thought you said you were stripping gears..

you have fucked up syncros and probably broken or bent shift forks depending on which transmission..

all of which were caused from shitty driving..
Old 10-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rota92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just had a talk with a guy who wanted my old D2B setup.

If you guys will pay what they are worth and not be cheap about it I can try talking someone into doing them. But its NOT some 100 dollar deal here lol

If you have your D gears treated by racer steve on here then they should hold up more. Are you grenading fresh rebuilds or 100 dollar junkyard trannies?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems tought to spend alot of money on this being that the main reason poeple go single is the price.

There cheap by nature, theres no geting around that.
Relax, i joke, i joke.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the definetly are not junkyard trannies. The tranny with the diff in it was out of 99 ex that had only 50,000 miles on it when I put in on the race car. I will crack it out and get some pics to see what it actually is. Thanks alot for all the info all of you have given me and i will run with and keep you guys posted on my finds and improvements. peace
Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and how many miles of abuse on your tranny do you think you had?

for me, its not because of beating the **** out of it. trust me. you think i like replacing 3rd and 4th gears all the time? what ive learned is dont do too many 3rd or 4th gear pulls on the highway. normal drag racing from a stop and youll never have problems.

RacerStev </TD></TR></TABLE>
i put 8 thousand miles of 400+hp almost on a daily basis (when i sold it, trap speed vs weight suggested i was 440+)...yes i filled her up with 110 octane and kept the boost cranked. it was worth every cent of the 6 bucks a gallon i paid for it at the pump lol PLUS the tranny i had was the tranny that came with the car when i bought it (who knows how many miles it had) i broke the diff in the car when it was stock (ran a 15.9 bone stock the previous run lol) and so i swapped the broken diff for an obx and the rest is history. and the thing about 3rd and 4th gear pulls??!?!?!! lmao those are the only pulls i ever did in that car! i probably put 60 passes easy on that tranny, and TONS of 3rd 4th 5th freeway pulls. bottom line, if your busting trannys, and stripping gears........its something else, because the gears, synco's, shift forks, etc, etc, can take it.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i cude use alittle insight on this topic also, i only am runnnin about 240hp and i have probs goin into 2 big time, i have about a 1.5sec shift in that gear. i probably just have a fuckd trans. tho
Old 10-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fast2camciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fast2camciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i put 8 thousand miles of 400+hp almost on a daily basis (when i sold it, trap speed vs weight suggested i was 440+)...yes i filled her up with 110 octane and kept the boost cranked. it was worth every cent of the 6 bucks a gallon i paid for it at the pump lol PLUS the tranny i had was the tranny that came with the car when i bought it (who knows how many miles it had) i broke the diff in the car when it was stock (ran a 15.9 bone stock the previous run lol) and so i swapped the broken diff for an obx and the rest is history. and the thing about 3rd and 4th gear pulls??!?!?!! lmao those are the only pulls i ever did in that car! i probably put 60 passes easy on that tranny, and TONS of 3rd 4th 5th freeway pulls. bottom line, if your busting trannys, and stripping gears........its something else, because the gears, synco's, shift forks, etc, etc, can take it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh please do tell then lol... ive been over everything a million times.. all my trannies are pratically brand new rebuilds. but racerstevs gears hold up well.

ill have to get someone else on here who has ridin in the car when they broke. always broke MIDWAY through a 3rd or 4th gear pull on the hwy.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it could be a thousand different things, it just seems really odd that out off all the high hp d series, your the only one that, time after time, is breaking the same parts.....d series trannys do break, yes...shift forks, diffs, but your the only one that ive heard of that shears gears...there are 3 high hp d series local to me that i have had a hand in building in one way or another, and all of them have had tranny problems at one time or another.....but the gears are the only thing they DONT have problems with.

idk, i wish i had an answer for ya cause frankly i would have said *** it after replacing half as many trannies as you have.....have you ever had someone else rebuild your trannies or check your car out? a second set of hands/eyes never hurts.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh please do tell then lol... ive been over everything a million times.. all my trannies are pratically brand new rebuilds. but racerstevs gears hold up well.

ill have to get someone else on here who has ridin in the car when they broke. always broke MIDWAY through a 3rd or 4th gear pull on the hwy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont mean to sound ignorant, What the hell is racerstevs treating gears with??
Old 10-31-2007, 02:37 PM

kryptonite
Old 10-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Newt Dog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newt Dog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont mean to sound ignorant, What the hell is racerstevs treating gears with?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

heat and knowledge.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if i would of known ive would of gave you 2 trannys. but now i only have one. i threw one away. one is still in the car..kenny is coming to pull it out this sunday and then take it to omar.
since it looks like your gonna need trannys to blow up
Old 10-31-2007, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heat and knowledge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Need more info. Explain. sounds interesting.

Quick Reply: High HP single cams HEEEELLLLLPPPP!