Notices

Helpful FAQ archive

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helpful FAQ archive

Hey, I was just thinking we should get a helpful FAQ archive going like the EG forum has. It would really help alot of people out and stop with the same questions over and over. i.e resistor box installs, questions about turbo installs, the notorious how much boost question. If the mods think this is a good idea maybe you can make the sticky and we can start contributing to it. If not just lock or delete my post. thanks.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Helpful FAQ archive (TeStUdO)

gotta say, i like it
Old 12-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Helpful FAQ archive (D3LSLO)

and a for you!
Old 12-14-2003, 07:03 PM

Bump for more feedback
Old 12-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeStUdO)

I'm kind of tired of people asking how many lbs of boost can i run on x block every single day or 'wat turbo shood i uze' on a daily basis. It'd be a good idea, for the noobs.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:40 PM

TTT
Old 12-16-2003, 05:28 PM

Bump......Anyone???
Old 12-16-2003, 05:31 PM
Better than steak

I like the idea.. anybody willing to give some of that info up?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:39 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: (Arturbo)

it is a good idea....but what makes you think that if the people can't do a simple search or alot of times look a few posts down and see the same question their asking, that there gonna read a FAQ?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Re: (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is a good idea....but what makes you think that if the people can't do a simple search or alot of times look a few posts down and see the same question their asking, that there gonna read a FAQ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems to work well in the EG forum
Old 12-16-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a great idea....
Old 12-18-2003, 02:37 PM

bump for some more input, if we get enough maybe mods will let us start one. I think this will really help alot of people out/
Old 12-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres a really good one
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/f...=3921
Old 12-18-2003, 03:26 PM

Default Re: (T-RO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by T-RO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres a really good one
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/f...=3921</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know that..you know that one. Deos everyone know that one?? Thats my point if we put everything in one archive and someone asks a question thats in their instead of everyone being like "SEARCH NOOB" you can point them int he right direction~~~~~ AKA The Forced Induction FAQ~~~~~
Old 12-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is a good idea....but what makes you think that if the people can't do a simple search or alot of times look a few posts down and see the same question their asking, that there gonna read a FAQ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um...maybe because it's the first thing they see and it's easy to find!!! Answer this question: why have a faq anywhere? Was your answer "because people keep asking the same questions/wanting the same answers over and over again"? That should be your answer because that is what happens, and that is what faqs are for, and that is why they are useful.

Also, searching can be a real pita because you can only keyword search the topic title, not the body of the posts.

Hasn't this idea been beaten to death in the past, and almost everyone thinks it's a good idea, and a few people whine about it, and the mods won't allow a faq in the FI forum unless it's from a paying sponsor? That seems to be pretty much the way it has always gone here. Oh well, I guess if people get REALLY REALLY TIRED OF THE SAME QUESTIONS it might eventually change. But probably not, so get used to it.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:52 AM

Well if the mods only allow stickies from paying sponsors, Ill become one. I wont sell anything but if it can get a FAQ stickied ill do it. I think it will be great aslong as people are willing to put in their extensive input, and the experts are willing to contribute. Mods just get ahold of me to let me know how to become a sponsor.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really only paying sponsered get to be sticked? well just that just sound fair
Old 12-23-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Re: (igotyofire)

A helpful thread, and certainly the easiest to put together, would be one that has a list of links to past threads that have thoroughly discussed common topics.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:05 PM

Default Re: (sharkcohen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkcohen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A helpful thread, and certainly the easiest to put together, would be one that has a list of links to past threads that have thoroughly discussed common topics.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I mean, It would be a bunch of links to helpful threads. The EG section has an awesome one on good topics. There is a ton of info on this site, I think if the people that have been here awhile help me compose one many people could benefit by it.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Re: (igotyofire)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igotyofire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really only paying sponsered get to be sticked? well just that just sound fair </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, as long as that's the rule and it's applied equally to everyone, then it's fair. Just don't whine the 100th or 1000th time you see a post asking "which injector..." or "how fast will this be..." or "what is hondata and afc..." because as long as there is no FAQ sticky and as long as the search sucks (i.e. title search only, no keyword searching the body of a topic) then people will keep asking the same questions over and over. Here are your choices:
1) make a FAQ sticky and whine when people ask the same questions over and over.
2) leave things as they are, stop whining about repeated posts, and get used to it.
PICK ONE!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkcohen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A helpful thread, and certainly the easiest to put together, would be one that has a list of links to past threads that have thoroughly discussed common topics.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeStUdO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thats what I mean, It would be a bunch of links to helpful threads. The EG section has an awesome one on good topics. There is a ton of info on this site, I think if the people that have been here awhile help me compose one many people could benefit by it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly! Somehow that common sense idea works in some forums, yet not in others?! Interesting.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:48 PM

Thats exactly what'll happen. It's been done on a few boards I frequent and people still post the same questions over and over.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:11 PM

I dont think this will ever happen sadly. Arturbo showed an intrest which was good, but Mase, VaporTrail, Tony1, Boostfed, Boosted Hybrid, etc......etc..... never responded. I really would like to guage an intrest in this from all the big boys who could make this an awesome FAQ. (sorry for any names I left out, I did this in a hurry)
Old 12-24-2003, 05:20 AM

Would the FAQ be a listing of commonly asked questions with answer or links to helpful threads...

I know HMT FAQ with links to threads is a hidden resource...something like that might be nice for H-T
Old 12-24-2003, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeStUdO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if the mods only allow stickies from paying sponsors, Ill become one. I wont sell anything but if it can get a FAQ stickied ill do it. I think it will be great aslong as people are willing to put in their extensive input, and the experts are willing to contribute. Mods just get ahold of me to let me know how to become a sponsor.</TD></TR></TABLE>You can get a sticky if you are a forum sponsor. That priveledge costs $750 per month. Are you ready for that
I also think the faq thread is a good idea.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Re: (KP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats exactly what'll happen. It's been done on a few boards I frequent and people still post the same questions over and over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is a silly pipe dream to think that you can eliminate ALL the boneheads out there that are going to ask stupid questions, just because you put up a faq. But you CAN greatly reduce them. At least then you could feel justified for flaming a noob who asked a basic question that was covered in the faq, which is a favorite sport for some of the supposed know-it-alls here on H-T. Until there is either a good faq or a good search function, get used to hearing the same things over and over and over and...
p.s. does anyone know why the search feature on this site is so lame? I mean, jeez, even *cough* ClubSi *cough* has a search feature that lets you search the body of a topic and not just the title, and surely we aren't lamer than they are, are we?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeStUdO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats what I mean, It would be a bunch of links to helpful threads. The EG section has an awesome one on good topics.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would the FAQ be a listing of commonly asked questions with answer or links to helpful threads...
I know HMT FAQ with links to threads is a hidden resource...something like that might be nice for H-T</TD></TR></TABLE>

If anyone thinks that these two faqs are valuable resources, and yet still thinks we shouldn't have a faq in this forum, then they are just plain retarded or they have a hidden agenda. BTW, did any of you faq-haters ever use a faq in other forums on this board, or on other boards? If you answered yes, why did you use it? Please post your answers below. OK, one last time: Why have a faq? Because they are FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS! What do you guys complain about? FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS! See a connection here?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get a sticky if you are a forum sponsor. That priveledge costs $750 per month. Are you ready for that
I also think the faq thread is a good idea. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Question for mods: Did the EG forum or the HMT board charge anyone $750 per month to put up a faq? I didn't think so. Gee, I wonder why that works for them but not for us? Any mods want to comment on this?

Quick Reply: Helpful FAQ archive