Notices

Help w/ Low Dyno Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help w/ Low Dyno Numbers

I decided to make my own thread about this, so that I have a few more sets of eyes looking at it. First off, I'm not a dyno *****. Numbers aren't everything to me, but I've just got a goal (300 whp) and I'd like to acheive it without giving up easily. Don't get me wrong, the car is fun to drive now, but 300 is such a nice, round number. LOL

Anyways, here is my story from the LS/T thread...

Aright, I FINALLY had my car tuned on boost again last weekend, and I'm kinda disappointed...

It made 228 whp and 219 lb/ft (that just from memory, but should be pretty close) @ 18 lbs of my T3/T4 turbo. It's a mustang dyno so it will read a little low, and I don't really car so much about the numbers anyways. But it is choking up at the top of the RPM's and I think I have a couple of ideas on what it could be. I am welcome for some suggestions from yall though.

First is my dump tube and intake adapter (sharp 90 angle). My dump tube runs EXTREMELY close to my intake and charge piping, and the exit of the dump is behind the filter for the intake. So I think there is a good possibility that I'm sucking up exhaust into the intake under boost. Also, this is heat soaking the intake and charge piping. I was getting IAT's of about 150F, but some of that could have been that it was 99F in the shop that day.

Update about above: I've tested the above issues (without filter, and extending the dump tube without much change to the AFR's. This tells me that my problem lies elsewhere)

Also, I'm not sure of the A/R of my turbine in my turbo. It's an ebay version (I bought it and rebuilt it before I knew any better), so I'm sure that doesn't help.

Here are a couple of things about my setup..

Supertech pistons @ about 9.7:1 C/R
Eagle Rods
UGR exhaust mani (same as Blox cast)
525cc injectors
2.5" exhaust and downpipe (no cat, just straight resonator and magnaflow muffler. I know it's not 3", but people are making close to 400 hp on 2.5 so I think I'm good there)
2.5" intercooler piping and ebay intercooler
Stock head, cams, and intake
Tune w/ Neptune RTP
Bottom end of motor was just built also, so the compression is 180-190 across the board (checked before tuning)

I will have to see about posting the pics maybe tonight because I can't access photobucket here at work (dyno graph, setup pictures, and even maps if it would help).

My next plan of action is to get a true Garrett turbo from The Shodan, so that I can make sure I'm not working outside of the efficiency range of mine. I will also be doing a 3" downpipe at the same time. I will probably do a cutout in the testpipe too for the track (few times I'll go). This of course would be mated up to a separate tune to take advantage of the extra flow.

I'm thinking that should give more than enough flow on the exhaust side of things. And The Shodan would be taking care of making sure that I get a turbo that is properly mated to my setup and goals. If that can't push me over my 300 whp mark, I don't know what will. LOL THEN, I might have to give up....

Anyways, any help or insight is much appreciated. I know this thread is useless without pics, so I'll get those up ASAP. I just wanted to get all of this writing out of the way. If you can't wait, here is the link to the other thread for the pics...

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...3059&page=1084
Old 08-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help w/ Low Dyno Numbers

I think you're heading in the right direction. Mac (TheShodan) will definitely pick out a turbo for your specific needs. Are you doing drag races, road courses, or 60, 80mph roll-ons?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Speaking from a current setup on a LS-T. I just made 320whp with 264wtq. The only difference on my setup to yours is, I have 650cc injectors, percision i/c, Garret t3/t4 turbo. 3" dp full exh. and After market crower cams(403s). JG elderbrock I/m. Also on 93pump @ 16psi. My oppinion is to swap out ur turbo and get a bigger dp.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys for the ideas. It sounds like you have a nice setup Fc. Cams are definitely something that I'll look into later on down the line too. If you have any pics of your setup or dyno, please post them. I'd like to check it out.

I'm going to stick with my current plans then and do the turbo and downpipe in the future. I'm just going to wait til it gets a little cooler to go back so my timing isn't so retarded from the IAT's.

Also, I don't plan on launching my car very much. Most of the performance I want is going to be highway roll-ons. I love the feeling of short burst from 60 or so. LOL

Mac has been great through PM's with helping me pick out a good turbo too, so I'm looking forward to doing business with him in the future.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see sig...

have you checked base ignition timing? make sure its 16 degrees.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gunmetal, those are good numbers in your sig and that's totally what I was expecting! LOL

The base timing was double checked on the dyno and it is on @ 16 degrees.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about the cast mani he is using - is that not a limitation as well? Just wondering...
Old 08-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcguy760
What about the cast mani he is using - is that not a limitation as well? Just wondering...
Cast manifold isnt limiting. I did 300whp easily on a complete eBay kit. The turbo's themselves are usually good for around 350whp then they run out of breath.

I really dont know what OP's problem could be... sounds like the exhaust/dumptube/intake situation needs to get sorted out first. Have any pics of the dump?

EDIT: differences in my setup to yours include... I had a 1st gen Skunk2 intake manifold and portmatched 70mm TB, open downpipe(2.5inch). stock cams, stock bottom end, stock ignition. Do you have an MSD box or similar?

Can you post the calibration file from neptune? i'd like to take a look at it,
Old 08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off...pictures, datalogs, dyno graph, your map, etc.....start posting some real info to help you out. Second, the Shodan knows turbos, but holy crap...we are talking 300whp here not 1000 on a race setup. This isn't rocket science you guys. Post some pics and logs and we will be able to help you more.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is the timing at in boost? how much are you retarding timing? afr?

most ls setups ive seen hit 300whp around 14psi with ebay turbos
Old 08-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch
Cast manifold isnt limiting. I did 300whp easily on a complete eBay kit. The turbo's themselves are usually good for around 350whp then they run out of breath.

I really dont know what OP's problem could be... sounds like the exhaust/dumptube/intake situation needs to get sorted out first. Have any pics of the dump?

EDIT: differences in my setup to yours include... I had a 1st gen Skunk2 intake manifold and portmatched 70mm TB, open downpipe(2.5inch). stock cams, stock bottom end, stock ignition. Do you have an MSD box or similar?

Can you post the calibration file from neptune? i'd like to take a look at it,
My current numbers are on a Log mani as well lol