Help: Just finished turbo on a friends civic *PICS*-- fpr/wastegate questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Just finished turbo on a friends civic *PICS*-- fpr/wastegate questions...

Hey guys,
I have just completed a custom turbo install on my friends 92 Honda Civic. It has a ZC/Vtec SOHC engine. He supplied me with all the parts and it was my job to install/tune everything...

Anyway I have a few questions I hope you can help me with...

1. The wastegate is an SSautochrome unit... From reading off of other sites I have installed it by running the lower tee to a boost source(before the throttle body), and left the upper tee open as we are not using a boost controller as of yet.
Does this sound right? When I started the car briefly yesterday there was an exuast leak up front, possibly from the wastegate. I will have to figure this out forsure today.

2. I installed an MSD fuel pressure regulator with boost reference(Bosche unit). Well actually a buddy installed that while I was working on something else and I believe it is installed backwards after doing some research. The car still did run when started, but the fuel pressure gauge was reading 80psi!!

My question is from the pic, can you tell me forsure if it is installed the wrong way(output where input should be). Also on certain forums I have read that people install the aftermarket FPR along with their stock regulator. Should I leave the stock pressure regulator in as well??

3. My oil feed line is leaking at the block. This doesn't suprise me as The fitting I used going into the original oil pressure source on the block did not seem to fit 100% so I didn't want to tighten it too much... Is there a special thread I need to go into the block?? What is this called??

Anyway it should be fun to tune once I get these problems sorted. From what I can remember off the top of my head the install list is:

SSautochrome turbo manifold(I know I know...its cheap and not my car!)
SSautochrome external wastegate @8psi
Garrett T3 turbo .6/.48
custom intercooler and piping
custom downpipe and wastegate dump
tiny little blow off valve....its so cute! haha
OBX high flow fuel rail
Walbro 255 fuel pump
MSD fuel pressure regulator
Apexi V-afc
PLX wideband O2 kit(was hard for me to install, I wanted to steal it!)
boost gauge
oil pressure gauge
check valves to fool the MAF(is that what its called?)

A few more pics....

Please help me out guys!! Thanks in advance.

Jared Petryk - http://www.trykracing.com

Old 04-08-2004, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Help: Just finished turbo on a friends civic *PICS*-- fpr/wastegate questions... (Tryk)

I guess I should ask, what should the base fuel pressure be if I do get the FPR working rite??

Sorry for all the dumb questions, my Honda knowledge is not what it used to be!

Old 04-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help: Just finished turbo on a friends civic *PICS*-- fpr/wastegate questions... (Tryk)

the setup looks sweet...looks like you braced the manifold prettywell..you might want to brace the wastegate as well if you haven't. I think people have problems with the wastgate breaking off over extreme driving. Also you may want to keep an eye on the boost guage whenever you boost, because people have complained about boost creep/spike issues due to the poor design of the manifold and its wastegate placement. Just becareful and happy boosting!

Khoi
Old 04-08-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the thread on thte block is not a standard fitting it is a BNSP or something british. not NPT. you may have fuxored the threads
Old 04-08-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

tread on the block is BSPT, order an adapter from Stan... fast-turbo.com

fuel pressure regulator : Stamped input and output on certain model other than that, look into the Civic Manual for help.

the WG mechanism is diaphragm based, not shure on the SS autocrap model though, but you should look into that more closely cause it seem weird to me that one side of the WG is open to free air...

hope this help a bit
Kranked

Old 04-08-2004, 10:04 AM

The Wastegate is fine, that's how you run the "tial" I know this is a knock off...but it should be the same, you only use the fitting on the side of the gate.

Fuel pressure not sure.

Block, it's been said, it's a BSPT fitting that you need, 1/8th I believe. So you will need something with male BSPT to go into the block, then have a T with a female BSPT so you can put in the stock sensor, then you need to convert BSPT to NPT so you can run the oil line and the Autometer (or whichever) oil pressure gauge.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:26 AM

Should weld up a support brace for the turbo so the manifold don't crack.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the top nipple on the w/g is for a boost controller
Old 04-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sir is going to crack. you better a) support it or b) mount the pressure senders somewhere else (firewall for instance).
Old 04-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That sir is going to crack. you better a) support it or b) mount the pressure senders somewhere else (firewall for instance).</TD></TR></TABLE>

serious...

it looks really fragile. redo oil feed from the block
Old 04-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BWHAHAHAHAHA...WTF IS THAT?

That little blue thing right before the TB...? Is that the "Tiny" BOV?

Seriously...this car is a joke.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BWHAHAHAHAHA...WTF IS THAT?

Seriously...this car is a joke. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What's so wrong with it? and that blue thing just looks like a plug.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tiny little blow off valve....its so cute! haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just don't see a BOV anywhere else...so I'm assuming thats it. It does just look like an intake that has the valve cover breather hole pluged...?

EDIT:

I just saw the blue vaccum line going down towards the left...so the BOV must be down there. Now it all makes sense...
Old 04-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that oil line is scary....i would fix it.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:11 PM

Default Re: (accordfreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordfreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

serious...

it looks really fragile. redo oil feed from the block</TD></TR></TABLE>

My thought exactly.. Just run an an6 line from the back of the block up to an oil block and then go out from there..
Old 04-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is my bro's car. The BOV is down in front of the passenger side wheel. So it does indeed have a BOV. They used his cold air intake pipe, so they had to plug the spot where the vacuum line is supposed to go. Thats what that thing you thought was the BOV is... LOL. Anyway it is actually looking pretty sweet. I'll make sure I let them know about that scary oil line just in case they dont read this soon.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to put a stainless steel fitting on the back of your block for your feed line. i had a brass one and it broke in half. i got my fitting from z10.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey nice setup man!
thats one of the nicest looking dseries setups i've seen yet.

And I say that because its not TOO gnarly,
simplicity can be a good thing. If your going dseries I think you should stay simple and keep it inexpensive(relatively).

looks good too.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BWHAHAHAHAHA...WTF IS THAT?

Seriously...this car is a joke. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats damn rude man. You have been on this site for a while and I dont usually see you being so rude to people.

The only thing I would address other than your other issues is that oil feed setup. And I am not sure if someone else answered it or not but the thread for the back of the block is a bpst thread. It looks good, keep it up.

Robert
Old 04-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update: last time I had talked to them, the oil feed line had been changed, or at least from what I understood the oil pressure sender unit had been removed and put somewhere else to take some of the stress off that spot.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rjardy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Thats damn rude man. You have been on this site for a while and I dont usually see you being so rude to people.

The only thing I would address other than your other issues is that oil feed setup. And I am not sure if someone else answered it or not but the thread for the back of the block is a bpst thread. It looks good, keep it up.

Robert</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry mang. I was a lil drunk when I saw this post. I don't know why I thought that nipple could have even been a BOV...but...good times.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tad)

Thanks a lot for all the comments guys. I am in fact the owner of the car and Tryk has done an incredible job on it. The car is safely in front of my house, but it needs SERIOUS tuning with the VAFC. We didn't have a lot of time to play with it tonight since the car has to be at a show in 8 hours, so the highest boost I've hit so far is 5 psi, but it starts to really lean out when you hammer it. Thank god for PLX Wideband O2 sensors. That thing is amazing.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Re: (ZCboost)

Ya I am sure glad the install is done. Now I can try to get back to a regular sleep pattern again

From driving the car you can tell the turbo system is working awesome, just needs some fuel tuning and that car is going to fly!!

I am working on a webpage with all the pics of the install...I will post it here when I am done.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: (Tryk)

Here is a gallery of some of the pictures of the turbo install if anyone is interested.

http://www.trykracing.com/gallery/js/thumb_1.htm
Old 04-09-2004, 02:34 PM

Default Re: (Tryk)

you don't need a checkvalve with a VAFC.

Quick Reply: Help: Just finished turbo on a friends civic *PICS*-- fpr/wastegate questions...