Notices

help! car wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! car wont start!

just as the topic says.....it cranks but it wont turn over. Every once in a while I can get it to almost start and then it will die out. Here is what I have done so far
-changed spark plugs
-checked for spark (it is getting a spark)
-reset ecu
-I know it is getting fuel because I can smell it and when I take the plugs out they have fuel on them.

what else should I check? I had this problem about a week ago but it kinda fixed itself because I just let it sit overnight and the next day it started, although it didnt start right away. Now a week later, samething except that it didnt fix itself this time

Could it be getting to much fuel?? I smell it alot when I open the hood after trying to crank it and when I take the plugs out they have quite a bit of fuel on them.

Someone throw me a frikin bone here.....
Old 11-22-2002, 02:25 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: help! car wont start! (genop)

you gotta tell us your set up man.... could be a # of things....

post and well help Blaze
Old 11-22-2002, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help! car wont start! (Blaze45)

all of my ignotion components are stock. Timing is stock, although I have a cam gear that is set to stock as well. I'm running about 10psi on a t3 turbo. d16y7 motor. Low comp. arias pistons. crower rods. block guard. electronics and gauges, but nothing that should effect it starting....I'm running afc hack w/450dsm's and a walboro intank fuel pump.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 11-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well after reading some past posts, I guess my next step should be to check and see if my timing belt skipped any teeth. It is a possibility because I got some oil on it when I was putting in my new rings. The car was also running fairly shitty before the problem, so I guess I will have to check it tomarrow because it is dark right now.
Old 11-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have any ideas? not one person can offer advice?
Old 11-22-2002, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanx for all the help......
Old 11-22-2002, 07:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sounds like leaky injector. meaning, the injector leaks right after you shut the car off, it floods the motor with fuel while off. you go to start it, its flooded. so you turn it over a bit, then let it set (overnight) and then it starts because it sat for a bit. Try spraying some WD40 into the IC piping near the TB. it won't hurt it, but it will start it for sure. May want to get your injectors checked...
Old 11-23-2002, 06:52 AM

Default Re: help! car wont start! (GraphiteAccord)

Check your wiring on the distributor assembly. Mine was having trouble starting and I went through everything, then I started testing for power. My distributor assembly wasn't getting power. Traced down the short, repaired it and started right up. On my 97 civic the Black/yellow wire came from the ignition switch to the assembly supplying it with power to make spark.
Another easy test would be to test for spark. Take the spark plug out, put it in the wires and ground it out on the valve cover. Have someone turn it over while you ground it out. Make sure you don't touch the metal part with your fingers I'm sure it could hurt lol. If you see spark then your problem is somewhere else.
I was also told you can check to see if you might have broken your timming belt. I don't think this is the case in your situation but this is what I was told and I'm just passing it on to you for some ideas. On my SOHC honda told me I can just take off the oil cap and watch the cams to see if they rotate. If they do then the timming belt isn't broken. Hey it beats taking the cover off.
Try this and I'll keep checking back to see if I can think of some more things,
Nick
Old 11-23-2002, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help! car wont start! (T25 civic)

I checked for spark and that was good, so my next step is going to be a compression test and then I guess I will have to check and see if my timing belt skipped any teeth. BTW it is getting fuel and spark, so the only things it could be are compression or timing right?
Old 11-23-2002, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, now the car is running (although bad). It hesitates at the start and when I come to a stop it idles very low and there is a little white smoke comming out of the exhaust. I'm so pissed of right now.....I have had nothing but problems with this car. I have changed the rings twice already and it looks like I might be getting a new head gasket....This may sound stupid, but how do you know if you put a head gasket in upside down?? Someone told me you will leak oil (which I am) would that cause any of my symptoms?