HELP: Anyone install Pro Drive oil pump gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Anyone install Pro Drive oil pump gears?

Well, last night while assembling my engine, We came to the oil pump...Took the casing off (which was a real bitch) and replaced the oil pump gears with my new pro drive ones. I have two problems now.

1. I pushed the inner gear in and lightly tapped it until it sat flush...BUT, it doesn't spin freely at all. It's actually really tight fit and I'm worried about wether it will really spin freely once the engine is assembled. Is this how they are or do I have a defective one or wrong one?

2. This is really stupid so go ahead and laugh and give me the but in the process of trying to figure out why it's such a tight fit, I put back the stock ones in several times to compare...during that process, I got the outter gears mixed up. (only the smaller gear says 'pro drive' on it). So now, I'm confused as to which one is the pro drive gear and which ones is the stock one! Any suggestions? They both look almost identical and I THINK I got the right one but I was wondering if there are any simple obvious things I can look at to figure out which one is the pro drive. How embarrasing.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP: Anyone install Pro Drive oil pump gears? (2000Accord5sp)

pro drive inner and outer only fit with one another. The gear should fit in there but you need to check your cleareances. Looks in the service manual and tehy state the procedure to check clearance on the housing.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:20 AM
New User

Well, last night while assembling my engine, We came to the oil pump...Took the casing off (which was a real bitch) and replaced the oil pump gears with my new pro drive ones. I have two problems now.

1. I pushed the inner gear in and lightly tapped it until it sat flush...BUT, it doesn't spin freely at all. It's actually really tight fit and I'm worried about wether it will really spin freely once the engine is assembled. Is this how they are or do I have a defective one or wrong one?
I had the same exact problem with mine. It fit in fine, but as you turned it, it started to bind up. I called prodrive, and they replaced it free of charge. Very helpful folks over der...I suggest you call them.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:24 AM

Default Re: HELP: Anyone install Pro Drive oil pump gears? (VaporTrail)

according to the helms manual the gear shoudl be able to spin freely. make sure you check all of the clearances carefully. if you had to tap it in and it was no spinning freely then i'd be worried.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP: Anyone install Pro Drive oil pump gears? (downpipe)

Yea I was reading about it while installing it and that's why it made me worry. Talked to b18turbo already and he told me to just send it back with my casing and they'll install it for me and check everything. Makes me very happy....I'm sending my old oil pump gears too because I want to make sure I didn't mix them up. For some reason the smaller pro drive gear fits in both the stock and pro drive outter gear. who knows...
Old 10-02-2002, 10:48 AM

great! good luck
Old 10-02-2002, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP: Anyone install Pro Drive oil pump gears? (b18bturbo)

Hey Greg, if you work for prodrive, who is 'prodrive'?? Do you both work there?