Heat Management Testing and analysis (DEI Heat Wrap, Turbo Blanket, Reflective Tape)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Heat Management Testing and analysis (DEI Heat Wrap, Turbo Blanket, Reflective Ta

My backyard could be a pool right now
Old 02-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heat Management Testing and analysis (DEI Heat Wrap, Turbo Blanket, Reflective Ta

Originally Posted by wantboost
My backyard could be a pool right now
Haha I know exactly what you are talking about, when my neighborhood was built there was a lake right under me!! And trust me I'm reminded of this every time there is a heavy down pour!!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Our backyard is an engineering joke... big hill then the whole yard is lower in the middle. It got so bad we had to put in french drains... Still doesn't get rid of all of it, especially over the years of rain eroding everything, we are going to have to extend the drain 50ft or so and make most of it a solid grate so everything drains.

I sink 6+ inches in the ground when I walk in the yard. Its that bad. Plus I'm getting tired of having to wipe my dogs feet and legs off every time I let them out

I'm in downtown Atlanta right now... and down by Marietta street, centennial Olympic park, Phillips arena, etc its so serene and tranquil... not a lot of people are out and its just amazing to listen to the sounds of the city.. I know I'm weird lol
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No your not weird I would think that's its awesome too to not have anybody running around Atlanta!! Yeah your back yard sounds worse then mine. On the bright side if the water gets deep enough you can go fishing!!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

That actually made me think of something else, the air supply to the box... where does it come from? That little dead space behind the bumper? I'd be afraid if it rained hard it might suck up water... might be wise to put a bypass valve on the pipe between the inlet and where it goes into the box, so if you do hit water the bypass opens and prevents the water from entering the system.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't even know they still made these. I think back in the day aem came out with them.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea it was a while back, eBay has some listed.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh sweet I'm going to look into this.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea I just though it would be a good ideas, you know how Georgia has some lakes in the middle of the road lol
Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM
OneBadTurboCRV

Rain water suction would be canceled out by having a bigger inlet than outlet. Pretty simple when you think about it. For instance, look at AEM's V2 cold air intake for 99-00 Civic Si. They eliminated the old design with the bypass and created a large suction tube with a small charge tube inside.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

That is very true, I would just be concerned that water would make its way into the bottom of the box.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happen to have some of the dei silver cool-it tape....would that work well for the fmic piping or do i need to buy the gold for that
Old 02-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottdh20
I happen to have some of the dei silver cool-it tape....would that work well for the fmic piping or do i need to buy the gold for that
No I think that what you have would be perfect. The cool it tape is really good. From my research and testing the tape does two things; insulates and radiates. This can work to your advantage especially after the intercooler, it keeps the cold air that just came out of the intercooler cold through its insulating properties and radiates the heat that's in the engine bay further keeping it cool. Go for it!!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I wouldn't wrap the hot pipe unless it passes something hotter than itself

On the turbo outlet -> intercooler pipe can actually shed heat if it has enough air flow, so wrapping it would just trap heat in and cause the intercooler to work harder I.e. lose thermal efficiency
Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
I wouldn't wrap the hot pipe unless it passes something hotter than itself

On the turbo outlet -> intercooler pipe can actually shed heat if it has enough air flow, so wrapping it would just trap heat in and cause the intercooler to work harder I.e. lose thermal efficiency
I can't wait to see how my charge piping temps after turbo have changed since the cold air box. I have some things that I'm doing to the box tomorrow to make sure that I'm maintaining a high efficiency. Then I'll run the testing again.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SRDFTITAN
No I think that what you have would be perfect. The cool it tape is really good. From my research and testing the tape does two things; insulates and radiates. This can work to your advantage especially after the intercooler, it keeps the cold air that just came out of the intercooler cold through its insulating properties and radiates the heat that's in the engine bay further keeping it cool. Go for it!!
Awsome...i completly forgot i had it....a couple years ago i had a ramhorn mani that was about 1/8" from the radiator so i used it for that...i just found it in the back of a drawer on my work bench
Old 02-17-2013, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awsome...i completly forgot i had it....a couple years ago i had a ramhorn mani that was about 1/8" from the radiator so i used it for that...i just found it in the back of a drawer on my work bench
Yeah I would definitely use it, it's good stuff
Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

We've had issues with any brand of silver stuff sticking under heat. We did the tunnel of our c6 z06 at first with the silver stuff... heat would cause the adhesive to get sticky and the insulation would fall all the time, we burned a lot of it up.. now we use the dei lava mat... although I might ask my dad about inconel for our application. Maybe he can locate a supplier for our little ideas
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a forward facing mani so i dont have any hot side charge piping, my turbo hooks directly up to the fmic, so i'm only looking to use the silver stuff on the cold side charge piping. it doesent see too much heat, the worst is the radiator fan blowing hot air right at it and overall underhood temps, since wrapping its 100% better, next up is a blanket and i will do as much of my piping as i have tape lying around.

but i did have to reapply it every couple months because the heat from the ramhorn being 1/8th inch away did pretty much cook the tape
Old 02-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a forward facing mani so i dont have any hot side charge piping, my turbo hooks directly up to the fmic, so i'm only looking to use the silver stuff on the cold side charge piping. it doesent see too much heat, the worst is the radiator fan blowing hot air right at it and overall underhood temps, since wrapping its 100% better, next up is a blanket and i will do as much of my piping as i have tape lying around.

but i did have to reapply it every couple months because the heat from the ramhorn being 1/8th inch away did pretty much cook the tape
I haven't had any problems like the this, but I also don't have anything taped that is that close to anything super hot. I have some inconel coming in and I'm going to be doing some testing and reviews with it. It's not set in stone but I'm thinking of putting it up against the back side of my compressor housing and if there is enough left around my center cartridge (thanks wantboost) lol. We will see.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any data yet on the reflective gold tape?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

The weather has been so bad here I've barely been able to let my dogs out. Its rained non stop forever. So I would imagine with low ambient temps and high humidity to even begin testing is pointless

Oh yea, sorry we didn't make it to Rome, as I said over text I'd really like to meet up and look at the car, toss some ideas and the beer is on me lol.

Also he might be too busy protecting and serving the public given the bad weather

He'll chime in when its time.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks wantboost, you are exactly right. The weather here has not been favorable. Plus I'm trying to keep all of the test as identical as possible when it comes down to ambient temps, as this would alter the results either way and we would not know if anything helped or hurt the numbers. As soon as the weather cooperates and the ambient temperature is withing a couple of degrees of 55 degrees the testing will resume.

Wantboost I will take you up on the beer offer lol!!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Best heat-soak thread ever!! I sell a few DEI products and I know how well they work based on customer feedback. But your experiment has been properly executed with back2back data. Also liking the fab work with the cold air intake. Are you putting an air filter on there??
Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the update guys. looking forward to some data

Quick Reply: Heat Management Testing and analysis (DEI Heat Wrap, Turbo Blanket, Reflective Tape)