Notices

Head noise, lma's, broken valve springs, blown out valve guides? Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Head noise, lma's, broken valve springs, blown out valve guides? Discuss

On my personal engine, I developed a loud tap one night. After a bit of investigation, and doing some sound tracking it was coming from the #1 cylinder/exhaust side/in the head.

Going with a forged internals, I disassembled the engine and all was perfect, no problems whatsoever. I expected to find some type of issue in the head with the cams out, but have found nothing. I pushed on the vtec rockers, and the lma's feel normal, but something obviously was making the noise.

So, having searched around I've come up with some possibilities. An LMA issue, a broken valvespring, or a blown valve guide. Has anyone had these issues that can verify what could be the issue here? My own builds tend to be on a strict budget, so buying all new LMA's isn't gonna happen. Having located the issue directly to the exhaust #1 cyl, I'll replace that LMA, but I'll be upset to find the problem isn't gone upon reassembly.

Just want to be sure. I've never had any noisy head issues in the past, so this is dark territory here...guess I've just been lucky. And yes, it goes without saying, that my valve clearances were checked, and were fine. No cam damage was apparent either.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Head noise, lma's, broken valve springs, blown out valve guides? Discuss (RC000E)

any update mate?

check my thread in n-asp section, i have a video, tapping sound coming from no1 cly on my b20-vtec. i also thing its a duff oem lma.

cheers!