Notices

-head gasket question-

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default -head gasket question-

hey guys.. been boosted for a while now and loving it, just recently i blew a head gasket. ive ran honda head gaskets and had good results..now i have 81.5mm wiesco pistons, my question is could i run a honda head gasket and will that extra .5 effect durability? what would be the best gasket to run? thanks
Old 09-11-2009, 08:37 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: -head gasket question-

Honda OEM FTW!!!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran oem with 81.5mm. never had a problem
Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 AM

hey guys thanks for the info.. i know honda would be the best, i was just worried about the extra .5,,,, anyways , i took th ehead off and noticed a cracked cylinder..thinking cause,the block guard i pressed in there 4 years ago.. gotta another question, just scored on a b18b ls block.. now i want to run my gsr pistons and crank with rods. would i be able to use my crankshaft,and using a fresh set of honda bearings? or is the clearance of the ls crank and gsr crank differ??? how do i make my gsr head work on a ls block, i know you have to run oil to head,but how and where,thanks
Old 09-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you should be able to use your crank and everything just check your clearances.
here a link how to tap the head and everything http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/lsvtec/lsvtec.php
Old 09-12-2009, 12:59 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI Honda puts .5mm (~.020") extra clearance in their headgaskets for rebuilds. So the extra .5mm will be no problem...
Old 09-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TurbodTegSfaria
hey guys thanks for the info.. i know honda would be the best, i was just worried about the extra .5,,,, anyways , i took th ehead off and noticed a cracked cylinder..thinking cause,the block guard i pressed in there 4 years ago.. gotta another question, just scored on a b18b ls block.. now i want to run my gsr pistons and crank with rods. would i be able to use my crankshaft,and using a fresh set of honda bearings? or is the clearance of the ls crank and gsr crank differ??? how do i make my gsr head work on a ls block, i know you have to run oil to head,but how and where,thanks

You can actually use ur gsr pistons/crank in the LS block, but u'd be de-stroking it. Honestly you'd be better off with the ls crank/pistons because of the longer 89mm stroke (compaired to 87mm GSR crank) this would give you an increase in TQ! also the stock LS pistons are 9.1 CR which is better for boost!

BTW: yes you can use an OEM 81mm head gasket with 81.5mm bore..
Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM

i wanted to use my pistons and rods off the gsr.. the crank will be ls then.thanks for the info guys.. now to put new bearings, do you guys plastigage? and will the rods be a good fit even tho there from the gsr onto ls crank?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can use your gsr pistons if you want to up the compression but like it has already been stated the ls stock bottom end is better for boost . What ever you decide you need to keep the rods with the crank dont put gsr rods on ls crank or ls rods on gsr crank messes up the stroke not even sure the motor will turn over honestly. I would just use the ls bottom end with the vtec head but you can use the gsr pistons if you want but leave the ls crank and rods in the bottom end.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you been turbo for awhile now, and you don't know how to do lsvtec? just research it man it's all over..