Notices

head gasket blown after two weeks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket blown after two weeks?

Just recently replaced head gasket about one week ago. I went to autozone and bought stock head gasket felpro. It was opened, they said that customer just wanted to look at it. I read the box and it said that the product can not be returned once it is open, so I assumed that it was new looked good no bends or anything. My first stock one blew after a year. I had the head resurfaced at a machine shop that does heads all the time for honda. got it back, installed new gasket, torqued everything to spec when putting together. followed tightening sequence, everything was fine ran good, went out racing beat a couple four hundred horse power dsm and no over heating or smoking. Yesterday coolant reservoir started to overflow. Oil smoke in exhaust. Compression test showed 175- 160- 190- 190 with 9:1 compression piston CP. I am leaning towards a bad gasket again, but could it be machine shop or bad gasket from the store? Just seems crazy that it went so soon. boost controler was disconnected by accident and I was getting boost cut from the hondata and it was not going over six grand.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
i ♥ snails

excessive timing? afr's ok? did one of your sleeves say peace out? the headgasket was most likely fine if you did a visual inspection. The compression results do point toward the headgasket since 2 cylinders seem to be down on compression, its most likely a result from overboosting with too much timing creating excessive cylinder pressure and the weak link was ur gasket. Crack it open and let us know what happened. Pictures rock
Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

tune has been fine for a year prior so I dont think that the afr's or timing would be to much of a problem. have you ever seen stock sleeves slip?