Notices

Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawaii?

We're getting ready to move to Hawii and I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to take my civic or store it at home. How big is the racing scene in Hawaii and would it be worth it for me to pay yo take my car over there. I have 2 brand new vehicles and just use my civic as a toy now. It sucks as an everyday car, but is fun to race. I just don't know how big the scene is over there. If I store it and find out there is a big honda scene then I'm gonna be upset, if I take it and there is nothing then I just wasted a bunch of money. Please let me know if you have any experience with Hawaii. Thanks, Larry
Old 06-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hawaii? (B18C4-T)

Def. A big racing scene! Got some verry fast and verry potential powerful cars! You wont regret taking your car!
Old 06-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C4-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We're getting ready to move to Hawii and I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to take my civic or store it at home. How big is the racing scene in Hawaii and would it be worth it for me to pay yo take my car over there. I have 2 brand new vehicles and just use my civic as a toy now. It sucks as an everyday car, but is fun to race. I just don't know how big the scene is over there. If I store it and find out there is a big honda scene then I'm gonna be upset, if I take it and there is nothing then I just wasted a bunch of money. Please let me know if you have any experience with Hawaii. Thanks, Larry</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can tell you this from living there for 3 years..... if you have a civic it HAS to be kept in a garage and cant drive out for a night on the town unless you are going to be near it.... The reason for this is that Hawaii has a VERY high crime rate on civics I think 2004 there where over 4,000 civic stolen on Oahu alone. Plus the cops out there are asshats and are looking for any reason to pull you in a import. But dont get me wrong the scene there is really big and I know most of the owners of the shops there like Endless and Sonics there are alot of very fast cars there but the down fall to it is the crime rate on honda's if you want to know anything else PM me and I can tell you more
Old 06-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What island are you moving to?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where are you planning on moving to. So your car is a street car? How fast is it?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hawaii? (808 DB8)

We're moving to Tripler Army Hospital. My car is technically a street car, I built it to the letter for SFWD class. As of right now I haven't been able to get a clean pass, it's best time is a 12.9 but it spun the drag radials most of the way down the track. Larry
Old 06-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, so youre moving to Oahu. Im from Maui. If youre going to Oahu, I would definitely bring the car. There is a pretty big scene there and you can also get away with alot of things you probably couldnt do elsewhere. Like BoostedEG6 said though, dont just leave your car anywhere. Make sure you have an enclosed garage or someplace safe for it.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the scene is really big and you can pass pretty much anything at the tracks.... also just to let you know the track really sucks *** there.. you wont run better than you have here in the main land thats for sure. But the track will let you pass on pretty much anything and there really isnt classes like there are at the tracks here. they pretty much just run heads up turbo class and bracket racing.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hawaii? (BoostedEG6)

Right now I run on an old airport in the middle of the desert, covered in sand, at 6000 feet, anything is better than this. Larry
Old 06-15-2005, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahahahaha wait till you get to Hawaii..... I have a friend with 700+ whp in a civic and he cant brake into the 9's.... his fastest was on the Big Island at 10.02.... but it would be worth taking your car as long as you can get a house with a garage... and dont trust military housing if your thinking the base is safe. The bases are where alot of cars get stolen.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah a storage place should be fine untill you can find a place or what not. I know the houses around Pearl City with a garage are kinda $$ but its well worth the extra money for the garage.... I paid 2000 a month for a 3 br 2 1/2 bath with 2 car garage in a nice place with sec and what not well worth the money
Old 06-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That was an excellent price from what I've been seeing. Everything I've looked at online is $2500 and up. I have a friend that is moving over there a couple of months before me, so I may have him find me a house to rent. Larry
Old 06-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah all the prices went up from when I was there last... I moved back to VA in Feb... and I was in Iraq from July to January.... but let me know if you need any help or any info

Chris
Old 06-15-2005, 05:37 PM

the scene is good , cops are dicks, and if ur planning to build an alll out track car it'll be useless cuz the track sucks *** and also the track is closing next year due to loss of lease. so down here its gonna be alot of street racing next year
Old 06-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Deffinitly bring your car the race sence is big over there and they do have a track in Oahu check http://www.speedhawaii.com if u want to see the import sence over there.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hawaii? (deca)

I thougth the track wasnt gonna close. Are you sure?
Old 06-16-2005, 02:44 AM

Import Scene is big and there are lots of friendly people, but still you will have to look out for thoes people who don't want to buy thier own ****. Cops are ****** in some places (town) and they will ticket you for whatevers.. Another thing is there is a RECON law (reconstruction of vehicle....Hight...blah blah) Mainly all external work. When you do any aftermarket work it is wise to take it to impection so cops dont harass you for No Recon sticker and ticket you for that. But ya all in all it is alright. Keep an eye on your car when you get the chance. ALWAYS LOCK IT!..

And yes HRP is closing down....
Old 06-16-2005, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, thanks. I REALLY need to figure out where I'm gonna live so I can decide if the car goes or stays. I guess I could rent a storage unit to put it in, do you think that'd be ok? Larry
Old 06-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hawaii? (Lost03Si)

Well, my car won't be registered in Hawaii so I'm cool on that. Larry
Old 06-16-2005, 01:49 PM

wont be register? Honolulu is not that big, you will be running into the same cops over and over again and they will warn you about getting your car register.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hawaii? (deca)

My wife is military, so we run Ohio plates on all our vehicles. It gets me out of most of the emissions and other bs that goes with state registration. Larry
Old 06-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C4-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My wife is military, so we run Ohio plates on all our vehicles. It gets me out of most of the emissions and other bs that goes with state registration. Larry</TD></TR></TABLE>

Having out of state registration doesnt matter in Hawaii.... all cars on the Island have to be inspected in Hawaii. you can keep your reg in another state and they give you this sticker that shows that. you also have to get recon and inspection or you will get pulled over alot!!! I can tell you some places to get "inspected" at and not have any problems, but its going to cost alittle bit more to get it done but its well worth it... let me know if you need any help on where to go and who to talk to
Old 06-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll probably be talking to you about that if they do emissions testing, my car won't have a chance in hell of passing that.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey larry its definately worth it to bring the car over, but you will need to figure out something for recon that is gonna be the hardest part.

fortunately you will rarely drive it and only take it out for fun, so you might be ok... if chris's insp hookup falls thru let me know
Old 06-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hawaii? (Full-Race Geoff)

hey Geoff, we probably know the same people to do the inspection.... But just to let you know B18C4-t they dont do emissions testing.... but they are kinda hard on people who have there car lowered but like Geoff said. If you are only driving the car every once and awhile then you will be good. I know people who are driving 700+ whp on the street

Quick Reply: Hawaii?