Notices

having problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having problems

i have a b18b1 motor in my eg hatch. i recently installed a jrsc a week ago. it ran fine after the install. yesterday i installed a walbro 255 high pressure fuel pump. now when i hit high rpms, my car will bog pretty bad. anyone have any ideas on why this would happen? my car will either bog at 5k or 6k when i'm getting on it.

i'm thinking i'm not getting enough fuel, but i'm not sure. any suggestions on what to check? BTW, i'm using the jrsc fmu.

Old 04-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: having problems (93hb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a b18b1 motor in my eg hatch. i recently installed a jrsc a week ago. it ran fine after the install. yesterday i installed a walbro 255 high pressure fuel pump. now when i hit high rpms, my car will bog pretty bad. anyone have any ideas on why this would happen? my car will either bog at 5k or 6k when i'm getting on it.

i'm thinking i'm not getting enough fuel, but i'm not sure. any suggestions on what to check? BTW, i'm using the jrsc fmu.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

if it startesd to run like crap after the pump install then it is probrably running to rich. get a fuel preassure regulator.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Re: having problems (GRTechnologies)

Bogging is generally related to runing to rich. If your runing to lean your not going to bog you'll just detonate.
Since you noticed the problem after the install of the fuel pump it only makes sense that the pump is the cause.
Being that i'm runing a 255lph hp fuel pump also I happen to know that it raises your fuel pressure to about 55-60psi at idle (15-20psi over stock) which would cause you to run extra rich. I recomend that you get a adjustable fpr (like the aem) to lower your fuel pressure back down to acceptable levels.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: having problems (b16ahybrid)

okay, so ya'll say i need a fpr. i have one coming already. i'm going to buy one off my friend for like $20 cause he's going to sell his car.

when i adjust the allen wrench screw on the jrsc fmu, the car runs a little better and wouldn't bog as much. can somebody explain to me what the fmu is acutually for? i thought it was exactly like a fpr, but i'm new to be boosted so i'm still learning.

thanks for the info,
93hb
Old 04-13-2003, 04:22 PM

the fmu raises fuel pressure relavent to boost.
So say you have it set at a 10:1 ratio. for every 1 psi of boost the fmu will add 10psi of fuel pressure. So 5psi = 50 psi of extra fuel pressure. make sense?
(2psi of boost = 20psi, 3psi =30psi etc..)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay, so ya'll say i need a fpr. i have one coming already. i'm going to buy one off my friend for like $20 cause he's going to sell his car.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
what kind of fpr is it? it's not a B&M is it?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i adjust the allen wrench screw on the jrsc fmu, the car runs a little better and wouldn't bog as much. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that just goes to show that when you lower the ratio (turning the screw / leaning it out) the car runs better because the fuel pump made it to rich
Old 04-13-2003, 04:37 PM

okay, i understand the fmu now, how do i know where to set it? do i have to get a fuel pressure guage?

the fpr is a b&m, those aren't good or what?

on my air/fuel guage, i'm only running a little in the rich section when i get on it. it doesn't go all the way donw to the bottom
of the guage when it goes to rich, just a little.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay, i understand the fmu now, how do i know where to set it? do i have to get a fuel pressure guage?
.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes you will need a fuel pressure guage

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the fpr is a b&m, those aren't good or what?
.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No they are actually a fuel pressure riser(opposite of what you need) they will NOT lower your fuel pressure due to the fact that it utilizes the stock return orfice (to restrictive)....get a true fuel pressure regulator that allows you to lower the fuel pressure like a aem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on my air/fuel guage, i'm only running a little in the rich section when i get on it. it doesn't go all the way donw to the bottom
of the guage when it goes to rich, just a little.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't tune by your air/fuel guage, it's really pointless for tuning. you really need to get it on a dyno to tune it.
before i got my car tuned on the dyno my air/fuel guage red 2 bars into the green well i was runing way to rich (10:1 or richer), since i leaned it out to about 12:1 my air/fuel ratio guage reads the same.....
It's not accurate, the only thing it's good for is a round about guestimate. It will tell you if there is suddenly a problem (like way to lean) but you'd probably already know that because your engine would go before the guage let you know of the problem. It's basically just a light show.....get a egt if you want to do some (rough tuning)...
Old 04-14-2003, 10:55 AM

any ideas on where i should set my fuel pressure? i also noticed that when this started, i have like no gas what so ever, could having like NO gas due this as well?
i need to see if i can make it to the gas station.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:17 AM

Set your pressure between 38psi and 42psi.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:26 PM

i will do that asap. i just need to get the fpr and the guage. you said that you can only raise the fuel pressure with a b&m, but other people have said that you can lower it and raise it with the b&m. other people have also said its better than the aem one.

why was my car running fine when i had my stock fuel pump in? i had no problems with the stock fuel pump. people told me i need to get a bigger fuel pump so i did. now i'm having some problems after the install.

Old 04-14-2003, 06:50 PM

oops....my car was running fine with the stock fuel pump, but when i put in the 255 fuel pump, it raised the fuel pressure, therefore causing me to bog at higher rpms right? so when i get the fpr, i will lower the fuel pressure back down to 38-42 psi and i should be fine then with no bogging, correct?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Re: having problems (GRTechnologies)

just to add, before i adjusted the fmu and my car was bogging, it would throw out black smoke from the exhaust when it would bog.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just to add, before i adjusted the fmu and my car was bogging, it would throw out black smoke from the exhaust when it would bog.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Black smoke = unburned fuel / too rich.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. you said that you can only raise the fuel pressure with a b&m, but other people have said that you can lower it and raise it with the b&m. other people have also said its better than the aem one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, i didn't want to bring this up but here it goes. the b&m will lower fuel pressure if you have a STOCK fuel pump.You can lower the fuel pressure about 10psi from stock. Once you upgrade your fuel pump the b&m cannot lower the fuel pressure because the new pump provides a lot more fuel volume, so much it actually raises the fuel pressure because the stock output orfice (b&m hack uses the stock output orfice) cannot return that much fuel volume effectivly thus causing a restriction which raises the fuel pressure..Now you can use the b&m (or stock) and still lower your fuel pressure at idle by drilling a hole in the fpr to relieve fuel pressure. You would drill a hole in the center of the o-ring so fuel will bypass the fpr and just return the the tank.It's not a very precise way of relieving fuel pressure but it works. One problem is that you have to prime the engine before you can start it. You have to turn the key on/off/on/off/on to get fuel pressure up enough to start the engine. It's a pain in the *** and get old fast.Some like to save a buck or two and go this route, i did that for a while because i didn't want to spend $149 for a aem, but when i found a good deal on one i bought it, i wouldn't go back to drilled fpr unless i absolutly had to.
Also some say that the aem sucks because the diaphram blows out or tears??? i've had mine for about a year and a half with no problems what so ever, works perfect for me.....
stock fuel pump go with a b&m aftermarket fuel pump go with the aem or paxton etc
Old 04-14-2003, 10:47 PM

i don't think its a b&m after all. i've looked up the b&m fuel pressure regulators and his looks nothing like the ones i've seen on the net. the ones i've seen look a lot different than the one he has. on his fpr, the metal piping thats on the bottom of the fpr, where you hook up your fuel line to, curves out towards the driver's side fender well, the b&m one looks like it doesn't do that. i'm not sure what kind he has.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:04 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...10368

thats the b&m fuel pressure regulator right?

his doesn't look like that , it looks different. it looks kinda like the aem one, but the piping for the fuel line curves out towards the fender well.

i need a fpr regulator that has the fuel piping deal on the bottom that curves out towards the fender well because of my SC. if i use one that goes straight down, i can't put the fuel line on because the intake mani is in the way. i didn't get that fpr adapter with the supercharger. is there anyway that i can change the fuel line piping on the bottom of the fpr if i get an aem one?
Old 04-15-2003, 11:32 AM

okay, i took my car for a little drive today. i gradually let the rpms get up, didn't floor it or anything, and when the car would start to bog or hesitate, i looked at my air/fuel guage. the guage was reading a lot on the rich side. before, when my car was running fine with the stock fuel pump, the guage would only go two bars in the rich side, now it goes down to like 6 bars or so. so what do you guys think, too much fuel and thats why i'm running too rich and that causes the car to bog and hesitate?
Old 04-15-2003, 11:37 AM

is your fmu adujust able
Old 04-15-2003, 11:50 AM

Default Re: having problems (B20 BEAST)

yeah, my fmu is adjustable. right now its all the way down. if we open it up, the car will bog or hesitate even more when i'm at higher rpms. i need to get a fpr real soon. i should have one by tomorrow hopefully.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16ahybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok, i didn't want to bring this up but here it goes. the b&m will lower fuel pressure if you have a STOCK fuel pump.You can lower the fuel pressure about 10psi from stock. Once you upgrade your fuel pump the b&m cannot lower the fuel pressure because the new pump provides a lot more fuel volume, so much it actually raises the fuel pressure because the stock output orfice (b&m hack uses the stock output orfice) cannot return that much fuel volume effectivly thus causing a restriction which raises the fuel pressure..Now you can use the b&m (or stock) and still lower your fuel pressure at idle by drilling a hole in the fpr to relieve fuel pressure. You would drill a hole in the center of the o-ring so fuel will bypass the fpr and just return the the tank.It's not a very precise way of relieving fuel pressure but it works. One problem is that you have to prime the engine before you can start it. You have to turn the key on/off/on/off/on to get fuel pressure up enough to start the engine. It's a pain in the *** and get old fast.Some like to save a buck or two and go this route, i did that for a while because i didn't want to spend $149 for a aem, but when i found a good deal on one i bought it, i wouldn't go back to drilled fpr unless i absolutly had to.
Also some say that the aem sucks because the diaphram blows out or tears??? i've had mine for about a year and a half with no problems what so ever, works perfect for me.....
stock fuel pump go with a b&m aftermarket fuel pump go with the aem or paxton etc</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, b&m is only good if you have stock pump
Old 04-15-2003, 06:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93hb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...10368

thats the b&m fuel pressure regulator right?

his doesn't look like that , it looks different. it looks kinda like the aem one, but the piping for the fuel line curves out towards the fender well.

i need a fpr regulator that has the fuel piping deal on the bottom that curves out towards the fender well because of my SC. if i use one that goes straight down, i can't put the fuel line on because the intake mani is in the way. i didn't get that fpr adapter with the supercharger. is there anyway that i can change the fuel line piping on the bottom of the fpr if i get an aem one?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah thats the B&M (horrible price too) but in order to use it you cut your stock fpr in half and the b&m mounts to the stock fpr (bottom half)....so it would look like a aem (not as fat looking) after the modification is done. The output is the same as your stock one. I believe the aem one does go strait down....
Old 04-15-2003, 07:27 PM

the one i'm going to buy from my friend doesn't look like that though. so i don't think its a b&m. he has a fuel pressure guage and i'm going to try and take that off his hands as well.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:29 PM

ask him what kind it is. Also ask if it has diferent output fittings....if the output is the same as the stock one it won't help...
Old 04-15-2003, 07:38 PM

well, i know with his you can adjust the fuel pressure. he's done it on his motor cause he used to have a jrsc on his motor as well.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:33 PM

okay, i got the fpr and the fuel pressure guage. we set the fuel pressure at 40psi. when i rev the motor, how high should the fuel pressure guage rise?

the car feels a lot better than what it did. i think my car probably feels the best its ever felt since the install. one thing though, when i'm driving normal, sometimes it feels like it hesitates about 2-3k rpms, any idea why? i was thinking it will feel a little shitty on low end because i set back the timing.

Quick Reply: having problems