Notices

has anyone used an aem cai as their charge pipe and just welded on the bov flange?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default has anyone used an aem cai as their charge pipe and just welded on the bov flange?

Personally, I think the size is excellent and the shape/ fitment is pretty clean.....

Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: has anyone used an aem cai as their charge pipe and just welded on the bov flange? (Black R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally, I think the size is excellent and the shape/ fitment is pretty clean.....

Thoughts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've seen many setups with the AEM CAI. It's pretty common. Just repaint the thing when you can
Old 03-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can also just leave it on and paint the rest of the piping black and tell people all you have is a CAI when you race them
Old 03-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: has anyone used an aem cai as their charge pipe and just welded on the bov flange? (Black R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally, I think the size is excellent and the shape/ fitment is pretty clean.....

Thoughts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on what application your AEM CAI was intended for. I did some searching and I knew that the piping size was 2.75" for most cars, but I wanted to make sure. For GSR's it is 2.75" for smaller disp cars like a CRX it is 2.5", <u>but for an ITR the piping diameter is 3"</u>.

I'm just guessing, but judging by your screenname you are talking about using an ITR CAI. If that is correct, then 3" is gonna be way too big for your charge pipe. Even 2.75 is too big IMO, but if you have a 2.5" CAI you could probably use it.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: has anyone used an aem cai as their charge pipe and just welded on the bov flange? (BlueShadow)

Works good, only problem was the aluminum was realy damn thin to weld too...
Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: has anyone used an aem cai as their charge pipe and just welded on the bov flange? (Alstare)

i was gonna use mine and just weld my bov to a pipe other than teh cai
Old 03-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was going to use my injen cold air on my gsr. hm since the cai aluminum is so thin, welding will be hard, can you jb weld? ive never used it but ive read that it works fine for a bov flange
Old 03-25-2005, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: has anyone used an aem cai as their charge pipe and just welded on the bov flange? (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It depends on what application your AEM CAI was intended for. I did some searching and I knew that the piping size was 2.75" for most cars, but I wanted to make sure. For GSR's it is 2.75" for smaller disp cars like a CRX it is 2.5", <u>but for an ITR the piping diameter is 3"</u>.

I'm just guessing, but judging by your screenname you are talking about using an ITR CAI. If that is correct, then 3" is gonna be way too big for your charge pipe. Even 2.75 is too big IMO, but if you have a 2.5" CAI you could probably use it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why do you say 2.75" or 3" would be too big? The throttle body is 64mm iirc... and the 2" piping that I have now goes to a coupler that steps up the diameter to fit the throttle-body. That just doesn't make sense to me.....

I was thinking of going with a 72-70mm throttle-body along with an AIR or JG manifold... so why should I run such small charge piping?
Old 03-25-2005, 09:15 AM

Because large charge piping = a lot of intake tract volume = a lot of volume that the turbo has to compress = bad spool times.

You should always go with the smallest charge piping and smallest intercooler that flow well enough for your HP goals.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: has anyone used an aem cai as their charge pipe and just welded on the bov flange? (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because large charge piping = a lot of intake tract volume = a lot of volume that the turbo has to compress = bad spool times.

You should always go with the smallest charge piping and smallest intercooler that flow well enough for your HP goals.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right on!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: has anyone used an aem cai as their charge pipe and just welded on the bov flange? (H-T)

thats the best way to run charge pipe in the engine bay.. i used my cold air intake and we used it on my friends crx.. its clean looking, no welds and fits perfect.. plus they sell them for cheap on ebay..

i just welded my bov flange to the charge pipe right after the turbo, before the intercooler.. for you ricer people its actually louder there...
Old 03-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do you say 2.75" or 3" would be too big? The throttle body is 64mm iirc... and the 2" piping that I have now goes to a coupler that steps up the diameter to fit the throttle-body. That just doesn't make sense to me.....

I was thinking of going with a 72-70mm throttle-body along with an AIR or JG manifold... so why should I run such small charge piping? </TD></TR></TABLE>

beepy hit the nail right on the head. If 2.75"-3" charge piping was better, why aren't more people running those sizes? But if you dont believe me or beepy then look up page 61-62 of Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. If you dont have the book, then I suggest you buy it.

Here is the formula to figure out what your intake velocity is going to be with different sized piping: velocity = airflow / area compare the velocities for both a 2.25 and a 3" pipe and see what you get.

EDIT: I think an analogy that can help you better understand is an exhaust system for an NA motor. Would you choose a 3" or 4" exhaust for a slightly modded B18C1? or would a 2.25" work better? kinda the same concept.

Here is an online tool that you can use so you can better understand too. Use the same CFM when you do your calculations, I went with 600 CFM. Now for the area use something small like 2x2 (length and width). Now hit calculate then look at the speed displayed. Now dont change the CFM you entered, but make the area larger by putting 3x3 or 4x4 in the length x width. You'll see how the speed/velocity goes down.

http://www.thermalloy.com/technical/airflow.shtml

Modified by BlueShadow at 3:46 PM 3/25/2005