Notices

Has anyone had coolant get sucked into their filters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone had coolant get sucked into their filters?

I know the coolant level go up in your resevior when you are running mad hot. Futhermore, my filter being close to the resevior gets me concerned whether coolant will get sucked in through the airfilter. So I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem happen to them and how much on average is the coolant level suppose to raise?? relatively close to the top, if at cold temps the level is at the upper mark. Any info would be appreciated...
Old 06-09-2004, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone had coolant get sucked into their filters? (Chillinit)

that's your overflow tank, If your temps get hot enough to fill the tank, then worrying about sucking coolant in shouldn't be your first concern. Upgrade your coolant system, and/or make sure everything is working properly........
Old 06-09-2004, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone had coolant get sucked into their filters? (FwdCivicHatch)

I see my coolant level in the tank fluctuate, but never anywhere near the top. When the engine is completly cold, make sure the amount of coolant in the resivor is not above the full mark, and also make sure that there is no air in the radiator. Take off the radiator cap and make sure the coolant is to the very top. Again, make sure that the engine hasn't been turned on in a while, or the coolant may still be expanded, messing up the results.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone had coolant get sucked into their filters? (m R g S r)

thx for the responses....I will check for air pockets given that i recently installed the swap. My other questions is, is it normal for the overflow hose going into the resevior to be pushing out a little amount of hot air?? I noticed this when after cruising on the highway for about 1/2 hr. When I parked, I heard a little bubbling sound, it was the overflow hose. So I removed it and left it out....the next day...I began to run into some cooling problems. My inclination is, air got in through that hose when the car cooled.(cause i left the hose out) Am I in the right direction?? could this possible?
Old 06-09-2004, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Has anyone had coolant get sucked into their filters? (Chillinit)

My advice to you would be to put the correct amount of coolant into the tank, Then top off your radiator. Start your car and let it idle for a few seconds, making sure you don't have overflow, and then shut your car off and top off the coolant again. do this until everything seems to stay constant. The coolant level in the radiator looks like it may be full, but you have topour some more in and see if it takes any.