H23 or anther H22

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H23 or anther H22

right now im in the process of looking for an engine because im going to have it rebuilt for turbo. the reason why im doing this is because i cant have any down time in my car cause i dont have a beater (bad idea). i want to have a 2nd engine (my stock one) just in case anything happens i can still swap right away so no down time there at all. right now im reading up on this stuff and trying to decied from a h23 or just get anther h22. whats the real differance other then the no vtec or i might be stupid and be wrong

[Modified by gulid, 8:12 PM 4/23/2002]

[Modified by gulid, 8:12 PM 4/23/2002]
Old 04-23-2002, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H23 or anther H22 (gulid)

h22a has 190-200hp. higher compression. less displacement (.1L).

H23a 160hp. lower compression (better for turbo), more displacement, less cam overlap then vtec, which is also good on turbo.

You mentioned swapping your motors back and forth. I think it would be easier to just have 2 h22a motors. That way you dont have to worry about swapping out ecu's and vice versa. And if one motor messes up youll have spare parts from the other motor. Not all parts from the h22a are interchangeable with the h23a. Thats just my opinion though...
Old 04-23-2002, 01:15 PM

Default Re: H23 or anther H22 (GudeH23a)

GUDEH23A: thanks for the imput.

i forgot to mention that im going to pick up a hondata so that means im giong to swap ecus to a OBD1 so the ECU is no problem.
the spare block is not going to be touched for spare parts. its just going to sit as a spare. so im guessing that a rebuilt h23 is much better then a h22 because it gives me more room to work with the compression

[Modified by gulid, 10:18 PM 4/23/2002]
Old 04-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H23 or anther H22 (gulid)

are you sure the ecu's wouldnt matter? the h22a ecu is different especially for vtec. the h23a ecu doenst have vtec on it, i am not possitive but i think the hondata will require a diff ecu for both the h23a and the h22a. I could be wrong. As far as which motor is better, if you completely rebuild both engines with the same mods etc etc i am really not sure which one would outperform the other. i have the h23a and it is fully built and im very happy with everything. as far as room to work with with compression, you can lower the compression of both the h22 and h23. I am not dissing vtec at all, i just know that the cam overlap that it has hinders performance of FI vehicles. This is one reason why Endyne disables vtec on their supercharger kits. The choice of which motor is up to you though, both have pro's and con's.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H23 or anther H22 (GudeH23a)

Hondata can take practically any ECU and switch/tune maps. For Preludes, we have to use either a GSR ECU (for knock sensor and secondary intake runner control), or any other B series ECU, which would leave out the secondary intake runners.

But I believe the superior flow of the VTEC heads more than make up for it's N/A characteristics in an FI application. Build an LS block and a GSR block with the same mods/turbo, and most of the time the B18c1 will always put out more HP, and spool up quicker. (At least in the cars that I've seen, could be different where you are?)
Old 04-23-2002, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H23 or anther H22 (Prelude_RCR)

I see your point about flow. But if a h23a head and a h22a head both receive a nice port and polish, oversized valves, new intake manifold that has been ported, etc. then both the heads are going to have just about the same flow characteristics. But for naturally aspirated, the vtec head will probably be the best bet. As for forced induction the problem with the VTEC is that the intake event is too long, and the exhaust isn't really the problem. The other thing that you must understand is that with a supercharger, you already have too much torque at low rpm, and it's almost impossible to stay off the rev limiter in the first three gears because the engine accelerates so quickly "under pressure". Once you ride in one or better yet drive one, I really don't think you'll be thinking about the VTEC for a while. In the higher rpm area (for VTEC engines) the cam profile has too much overlap; long overlap is necessary for naturally aspirated breathing but with 20+ psi of boost on our side it actually hinders performance. This is the reason VTEC is disabled on endynes supercharger kits, which applies to turbo also. If you research, you will see some of the top name guys out there that have the h22a vtec motors actually shave off the vtec cam lobes. I wish i had actual results that could compare the same engine, but unfortunately i dont. One thing that can help the vtec is a turbo camshaft and it will benifit the h23a as well.