Notices

H22a Turbo "winter project"

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22a Turbo "winter project"

Hi all, just signed up.

Ok I've got a 96 Accord wagon, with the factory H22a fitted, Auto, Japanese import. (made in the USA) I've had it 3 odd years, got the stereo, done a show, raced on the track, and now, I've the need for more power.

I've been collecting parts for a while now and the list reads something like this.

DSR-430 Turbo, Manifold T3, Tial wastegate, Intercooler, pipes and bends and hose, Nissan Skyline GTR injectors, Alloy radiator, oil cooler & remote filter setup, Walbro 500 intank, BOV, Some gauges...

I've got a manual G/box but need everything else like axles, and stuff, so that can wait.

So I've started fitting the parts, everyday the shopping list gets longer.

It'll all be cheaked by a machanic and tuned on the dyno, using a integra ECU, with a custom chip. (sounds dodgy but I've seen results on B16)

I have no intention, of running any more than 7psi, as even though the turbo could run 18psi, the motor can't. (read that thread!)

I see that some have near 300whp.. thats like at the rollers aye?

And am I likely to get those type of numbers?

After reading a few threads I see a lot of talk about sleaves, and not being able to just decompress the engine to run more boost.

Is this only a problem when increasing the boost?

To be honest I've probably bitten off a little more than a mouthfull, not being a mechanic, but hey, best way to learn. Any thoughts or advice are welcome and yeah,

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:46 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22a Turbo "winter project"

oh,where to start....

a stock h22 can take a decent amount of power, PROPERLY TUNED. people HAVE made over 500-600 WHeel HOrsepower with amazing tuning. DONT TRY IT. with a simple setup with a T3, you'll probably be fine, as long as your mechanic can tune it safely. (the integra ECU chipped is basically the standard way of doing it....using one of many different programs that utilize that ECU.)

increasing the boost=making more power. its not the BOOST number that dictates if you need to build the engine, its the POWER numbers, and the ability of the tuner.

with a tiny T3, 20 psi might only get you 250-300 WHP...where 20 PSI with a gt35r or something might get you 500-600 . the air flowed by a larger turbo is different at the same PSI.

READ a lot more threads here..see what others have done, and figure out what you want to do and how capable you are.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:01 PM

This is good to know, A little more ponys than I was expecting.

I didn't think the turbo was all that small, here's the stats.

Specifications:
Compressor side A/R=0.5
Inlet pipe 70mm, outlet pipe 50mm 48 trim compressor; inducer 53mm, exducer 76.5mm
Exhaust side
0.58 A/R turbine housing, Turbine wheel outlet 48mm, outer diameter 64.5mm

There's a 0.63 A/R model available but went the 0.58 as it should spool up faster.

I've seen these turbos on RB25 engines making 300-380 with no dramas mods dependant.

Yes I've been reading, those back threads need a clean up!! Just jokes!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

That's just a little smaller than a T3/T04E 60 "trim" that is used in the states. if the exhaust wheel is similar to a stage III, it should be no problem.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 PM

I uploaded a few photos the other night, but I've changed the set up today to make things fit (better-er) so I'll take another photo.

In photo album.

Last edited by TOWELYNZ; 05-25-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:45 PM

Final location of the turbo, Dump pipe will hook under turbo, connected using "V band"
Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Got the Oil cooler and remote filter mount out of there boxs last night. Nice little kit with everything I will/did need. I've run the oil lines, but am still unsure of placement of the filter part and the cooler.

I've never had any problems with changing the oil filter on this car, I'm just sick of having to climb under to get to it. But removing the filter last night was a #%&**, I'm glad I'll never have to battle like that again!!

Photos are in photo album, under 96 Accord Wagon SIR (JDM)
Old 05-28-2009, 01:18 AM

Oil cooler and remote filter are in place. Just a bracket to be made to hold the cooler. I've moved the turbo oil feed, and after market oil pressure sensor to the filter mount.

More images in photo album, under 96 Accord Wagon SIR (JDM) Things that I tried, and the things that I'll go with!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 PM

Pulled the sump off last night to put the turbo oil return in. I worked out the oil level in the pan and drilled a hole. Got it braised up this morning. It's not pretty but it won't leak.

Had to buy a elbow fitting from the local hardware shop for the drain from turbo to ensure "fall" back to the sump. Just need to get some stainless steel hose claps for the hose.

Also have mounts on oil cooler and it is bolted in place. Fits behind the body kit, but looks.... well... functional.

Photos uploaded.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

should be fun
Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice. but your manifold WILL crack!!!
Old 05-30-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by cloviskilla
nice. but your manifold WILL crack!!!
And why??, This manifold is a no brand, off the internet, from a guy, If you can see a fault let me know, I know what I paid for it. And well, I didn't need morgage to pay for it.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TOWELYNZ
And why??, This manifold is a no brand, off the internet, from a guy, If you can see a fault let me know, I know what I paid for it. And well, I didn't need morgage to pay for it.
because its cheap ssuatoshit. i own a race shop and put tons of them on for cheap customers and they ALL crack.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever heard the saying you get what you pay for? Well... you got $600 dollars worth of cheap junk. These kits are horrible and don't last long. They use VERY cheap materials which is why they are so "affordable." Cheap, Fast, Reliable... choose 2.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by PrecisionH23a
Ever heard the saying you get what you pay for? Well... you got $600 dollars worth of cheap junk. These kits are horrible and don't last long. They use VERY cheap materials which is why they are so "affordable." Cheap, Fast, Reliable... choose 2.
As I said, I know what I paid for the manifold. I'm familar with the deal. Other than price, why is this going to crack, and where? Can I brace it up? Or are you talking tube blow outs?

This setup is not a kit. Its not offered as a kit. There has been no cheap kit shopping, but rather just buying parts as I sourced them.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 PM

Been messing round with the injectors today. I've test fitted them on my spare engine, and they look to be all good. I've used 2 of the softer rubber seals, with the normal hard seal on the bottom.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:41 AM

Car is running, I'll get on top of the progress photos. I've just been too busy!
With a couple of hours dyno time and vtec problems we've got 187whp @ 5psi.

We'll wind the boost up a little more in the morning, so should get over the 200whp mark.
I'll let you know!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car is running, I'll get on top of the progress photos. I've just been too busy!
With a couple of hours dyno time and vtec problems we've got 187whp @ 5psi.

We'll wind the boost up a little more in the morning, so should get over the 200whp mark.
I'll let you know!
thats weird i made 186whp on my h22a on my stock motor. im in the process of boosting mine should be done next week im looking for 280whp with my setup on 7pounds
Old 07-18-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by honredic
thats weird i made 186whp on my h22a on my stock motor. im in the process of boosting mine should be done next week im looking for 280whp with my setup on 7pounds
Ah... Dunno what to say, My motor was stock, bar a shiny pipe and pod filter. Thats it. I was looking for a heap more power too but alas... nothing is just that easy. . Good things take time I guess.

All was looking good last night until the Vtec dropped out. Went home and got some replacement parts. Bolted them up this morning, but first run showed the engine lean, with a miss-fire. (before the Vtec mark) New plugs solved the miss-fire, the engine is still running lean. I'll bang a new fuel filter in on monday and top it up with 98. On the last good run the injectors were only running at 28%. Hopefully it's just a flow problem...

The Vtec problem might have been oil pressure related but won't know until we can on top of the fuel issues.

This is the Dyno sheet of the first few "lets make some power runs" last night.

But then the Vtec started playing up, this was the very next run.

That's where I'm at, the car is still strapped to the dyno, round 3 monday.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Hi all, The car is done! (well for now) Making a heathly 204hp at the flywheel, with one very tired auto. I've tried winding some more boost in but the slop box just slips! I guess that 5 speed can't wait!

Here's a photo of me funky exhaust. I'm quite proud of that!

It's been a cold few months in the shed, but worth every minute. I've learnt so much and most of the info was on these forums so thank to all you posters.

I'm only running 5psi at the moment, fuel economy is about what it was on the cruise. But when the revs get up and that turbo starts going... well, it's worth the 98 octane!