Notices

H-T i need ur help... possible serious problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-T i need ur help... possible serious problem

Ok guys, I have an ef with a B18a1, B16a2 head, and a turbo kit. I got the car from a fellow h-ter so i didn't build it myself and i've never built a motor before. I honestly haven't even swapped my own motor before, not that i can't... i've done my tranny and a basically everything else. So this is what happened, i was drivin tonight and i shift to third and the car starts boggin out. So i drive home and start thinking. I Pulled out each spark plug wire and they all bog out when i do that except for the 2nd one. when looking at it head on.. it's the 2nd from the left. So yea, I changed the plug... checked the spark plug wire and it's sparking. Still bogging out. What do u guys think? it's late right now and i can't see anything and as soon as i wake up i'll be checking it out some more. I'm hoping for the best but i'm not really wanting to hear the worst. So... I've changed the spark plus and i'm sure the wire is good. What other things can i check>? i do kno for sure that the 2nd cylinder doesn't effect the rest of the motor when i pull it out which to me looks like the culprit. 2nd main concern... I believe this block was built, pistons and whatever... it's b18a1. Me, if the block were bad, i'd want to just install a gsr block.. use my b16a2 head and go about my life. Any special headgasket necessary? supposedly the head has ctr cams, it's port polish, has a 3angle valve job... and various things that a fully built head would have. Would putting the b16a2 head on a b18c block, probably obd2... be a difficult task or would it be plug and play? i've never really liked the idea of ls-vtec anyway. Also, Since the car is EF... i needed hasport mounts which are already installed. Will these mounts work with a newer b-series motor? I looked on hasport and they said it was designed for b18a,b16a... motors and could work with b18b,b18c but with extra hardware or something. Do u guys kno of the hardware i'd need? thx for all the help, this is my first boost car and i'm about to cry. thx again H-T.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o yea, the car is obd-1 and i tried using my friends chipped p28... still ran on 3 cylinders. please help!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (perseverance)

Look at the problem in the morning, check to see if your getting fuel or spark on each cylinder.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm definately getting spark on each cylinder... i put the spark plug wire to metal and seen spark. Fuel... maybe not. how would i check that? the fuel injector i'm guessing?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone kno how to check fuel?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright so i swapped like 4 spark plugs... everything physically looks good on the motor from outside. I think the piston is ok cause i loosened the spark plug while the engine was running and it shot out at me. lol. So yea, to check fuel i'm guessing i pull out the injector and see if it's spraying?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have any help? The help is much needed. thx a lot
Old 09-12-2007, 07:50 AM

piston order is from the drivers side to the passengers side. so i think you are talking about the number 3 cylinder. its always the one that runs the hottest so if you have a problem its usually on that cylinder.

first thing i would do is a compression check. if you pulled the number 3 wire and it didnt bog down at idle something is wrong with the cylinder.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, i figured that... could a bad injector be the culprit? the engine doesn't sound horrible.... what if i did a compression check and everything was perfect? then i'd be back to lookin at the fuel injector which i haven't checked yet. what if compression is bad? i've never done a compression test before so this will be my first time.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (perseverance)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by perseverance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright so i swapped like 4 spark plugs... everything physically looks good on the motor from outside. I think the piston is ok cause i loosened the spark plug while the engine was running and it shot out at me. lol. So yea, to check fuel i'm guessing i pull out the injector and see if it's spraying?</TD></TR></TABLE>

After reading that man, seriously why would you do that ? Rent out a compression tester if you wanted to check compression.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by perseverance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea, i figured that... could a bad injector be the culprit? the engine doesn't sound horrible.... what if i did a compression check and everything was perfect? then i'd be back to lookin at the fuel injector which i haven't checked yet. what if compression is bad? i've never done a compression test before so this will be my first time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got a lot of what ifs going on, all that h-t really can't help you with. If your getting spark go from there, are all injectors firing ? Either take each fuel injector out and test them to see if there spraying, or take out the plugs to see if you can see any signs of them getting fuel.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i had extra spark plugs. i'm gonna do a compression test sometime soon. i am getting spark, at first i wasn't sure about the spark plug so i changed it out. the spark plugs i had were given to me when i got the car and they all looked a lil used. I just wanted to make sure i wasn't installing another bad spark plug. I pulled off the fuel rail and primed the car and none of the injectors leaked. i'm gonna try to swap the injector as well as doin a compression test. If the test is good... then most likely it's the injector right? cause to me everything else passes. Compression test here i come. btw, what are some good numbers to look for?