Notices

Guru's i need some help my Prelude is having distributor problems and can seem to find the demon

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guru's i need some help my Prelude is having distributor problems and can seem to find the demon

Ok here's some history had the prelude on the Dyno in July and fried the distributor. Note when this happend a CEL, hondata code 9 for cylinder position which is a sign of a fried distributor, so i replaced the distributor! Last week had the car back on the dyno and again at 15 psi it started breaking up! Tuner suspected that the MSD SCI with Blaster 2 coil was the problem. Note this time no CEL was thrown nor was the car bogging like it was last time. So i got the car home and took the MSD off and i put the stock ignition back in the car! I then take the car out and its continues to break up right when u go into vtec! So i have tried and ignitor and a new rotor and tonight i drove the car again and its still breaking up! Joe who tuned the car tried one of his distributor around the shop and he got clean run? I am assumming that i have fried another distributor? Also are other brand ignition systems like Crane or HKS are they known to do the same thing that MSD seems to be notorous for?? This car is making 420++ and do you think stock ignition is sufficient? Any ideas guys? Tried searching but couldnt find any thread with any sufficient responses!!
Old 03-02-2006, 03:04 AM

Default Re: Guru's i need some help my Prelude is having distributor problems and can seem to find the demon

Anyone?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Guru's i need some help my Prelude is having distributor problems and can seem to find the demon

obviously a distributor the first time with the check engine lights. car ran great for a while on the dyno, then all of the sudden started breaking up real bad, for no reason.

removed msd parts, and put on stock distributor i had laying around, car pulled clean as can be. put original distributor back on with a differnt msd coil i had laying around.....pulled clean as can be. made one last pull with the original msd coil and it pulled clean again. took the car off the dyno to try it on the street and it went back to misfiring.

here is a graph before the distributor took a dump last time on the dyno with old exhaust...and the higher hp run is the same boost level with the new exhaust before the ignition started flaking out again.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:49 AM

BUMP
Old 03-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

exact same problem I had w/ my accord F22B2... I don't know but I've notice that the 2.2 motors always get this code. I drove on this code for 5 months and my car ran absolutely fine... it would mainly break up when it's was humid or wet out.... I would also like to know the answer to this question.....

BUMP
Old 03-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that code pops up alot after overreving or missing a gear...

if you hav ean older coil it may break up...a coil is abotu 100$..check the resistance on the plug wires and gap the plugs tighter
Old 03-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Trial User

This is exactly the issue I fought with last season with my boosted H22a. It originally was the igniter, then after 2 weeks my blaster ss coil went. I replaced it, and turned out the replacement coil was **** too. Replaced that and all is well. Also, ensure the plug wires have full contact with the dizzy. Both my msd wires and my magnecor wires needed to be secured onto the cap otherwise they would slowly pull out.

good luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Praylewd powr)

Put an M&W ignition on it and remove the ignitor, problem solved...
Old 03-03-2006, 03:36 AM

Default Re: (tony1)

Where can you purchase these ignitions???
Old 03-03-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Re: (jsprelude)

The thing is i replaced the ignitor and still does the same thing so i have my doubts that the culprit? How about Plug wires could they be going bad????? I just want to go out and enjoy my car havent been able to drive it and it sucks ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 12:02 PM

Default Re: (jsprelude)

TTT
Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 PM

Well i put a new distributor on the car and to no avail the car is still breaking up and it like clock work 3rd gear right at 4500 rpms. I am completely clueless why its doing this someone has got to have some ideas????? Could it be related to VTEC??? Please help
Old 03-05-2006, 07:16 AM

???????
Old 03-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what plug gap are you running. i had to go down to .026 thousandthsto get mine to quit misfiring.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:12 PM

The thing thats wierd as **** is that everytime its in third gear as soon as i hit 4500 rpms it starts poping acts like the car is hitting the rev limiter! Im starting to think i have a Hondata problem?? I have ruled out everything other that plugs wires?? My plugs are gapped at .020 right now so i dont think plug gap is the problem
Old 03-06-2006, 03:01 AM

am bump
Old 03-06-2006, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The thing thats wierd as **** is that everytime its in third gear as soon as i hit 4500 rpms it starts poping acts like the car is hitting the rev limiter! Im starting to think i have a Hondata problem?? I have ruled out everything other that plugs wires?? My plugs are gapped at .020 right now so i dont think plug gap is the problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

have you went back to Joe's to try his distributer again? sounds like your ignitor is on its way out once again.

take TONY'S advice and get rid of that oem ignitor.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:21 AM

I have replaced the distributor & coil all together
Old 03-06-2006, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have replaced the distributor & coil all together </TD></TR></TABLE>

oem dist or a reman/dist king dist? you could be getting "errors" from some of the sensors in the dist, and maybe that is the cause of the mis-fire.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:53 AM

Im just wondering if tuning the car with MSD and then going to all OEM ignition that the timing may need to be different?? In theory doesn't MSD improve spark???
Old 03-06-2006, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsprelude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im just wondering if tuning the car with MSD and then going to all OEM ignition that the timing may need to be different?? In theory doesn't MSD improve spark???</TD></TR></TABLE>

timing should not need to be differant. think of the MSD as an amplifier. it doesnt know when to make the spark, your ecu still tells the msd what to do.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:34 PM

How about doing the MSD Bypass! I have searched and found several thread where guys had similar problems that im having and had success wiring around the ignitor? Opinions?????
Old 03-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try it out, i have always wanted to try it.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:41 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1154593
Old 03-07-2006, 05:23 AM

Anyone done this????

Quick Reply: Guru's i need some help my Prelude is having distributor problems and can seem to find the demon