Notices

GT water cooled turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT GT2871r water cooled turbo problems

I installed the water cool lines for my GT2871R turbo. The lines are tapped between the throttle body water lines.

The car tends to spike up and overheat all the time edit on longer trips turn on the heater and goes back down. This is happens when I drive for 10-15 miles on the freeway or road without boosting. When I pull up and park to pop the hood, I find the coolant reservoir is overfilled with water. As if somehow air is being generated in the cooling system is pushing water back to the reservoir causing water to spill out of the reservoir cap. There are no leaks anywhere else.

At first I thought it was air pockets in the water, so I got rid of all the air but still the same thing happens. I have also had my local shop refill the coolant a few times and get rid of all the air bubbles, but I am getting the same result.

SO now I am perplexed. Has anyone experienced anything like this? or does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Modified by 9:1 DB8 at 11:17 AM 6/27/2006
Old 06-26-2006, 09:38 PM

Default Re: GT water cooled turbo problems (9:1 DB8)

I forgot to mention my setup:

GSR motor
rebuilt with new everything
started facing weird water problems after turbo install
GT2871R water cooled turbo - ATP Drop in housing
Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Re: GT water cooled turbo problems (9:1 DB8)

up for the end of the night!
Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 PM

Default Re: GT water cooled turbo problems (moops vs moors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">headgasket is bad, or head is lifting under boost....
you can get a tester at an autoparts store that checks for exhaust gas contamination in the coolant also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. Ill look into it

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
did you get your head milled flat when it was rebuilt? did the rebuilder know what they were doing?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My head was resurfaced when it was done. The builder knew what he was doing. They are professional.

I drove the car for a while without the turbo and didnt have this issue.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:11 AM

Default Re: GT water cooled turbo problems (moops vs moors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you were having knock problems from a bad tune or gas, the headgasket would have been first to fail.

what are you using for engine management?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I cant recall any knock problems. I am tuned on crome. But yeah Ill check the coolant for exhaust contamination. If anything gotta pull the head off. Fawk...
Old 06-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT GT2871r water cooled turbo problems (9:1 DB8)

The turbo install shouldn't have caused the problems like you've mentioned, but it could be the cause that originated the problem. There could have been huge air pockets in your coolant system after the install, but it went unnoticed. Driving around with huge air pockets could mean no coolant flowing through some portions of the cylinder head, so the head overheats and warps or blows the headgasket. I've seen that happen a couple of times when guys drive around with a poorly bled coolant system.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:19 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: GT GT2871r water cooled turbo problems (Tony the Tiger)

You either have air still in your system or your getting air in there from a leak. It could be the headgasket or even one of the fittings. Have you check your thermostat to see if its sticking or anything like that? How does your oil look?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM

Default Re: GT GT2871r water cooled turbo problems (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Have you check your thermostat to see if its sticking or anything like that? How does your oil look?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The oil is fine. I will have to take a look at the thermostat next.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM

Default Re: GT GT2871r water cooled turbo problems (Mr Wonderfull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Wonderfull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ARPs or stock bolts??</TD></TR></TABLE>
ARP... I forgot to mention that. Everything has been rebuilt.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:43 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

I am thinking you still have air in you system... How did you bleed it?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am thinking you still have air in you system... How did you bleed it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The last time the system was bled was done by my builder shop. I don't think it is an air pocket because the coolant is literally overflowing out of the reservoir and bubbling.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Re: GT GT2871r water cooled turbo problems (Mr Wonderfull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Wonderfull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hmmmmm..... Weird man, I dunno then, My sit was that the bolts stretched, and the head lkifter compromising the head gasket.... then my coolant would push out of the syestem.... When all else has failed (as a clogged radiator can give you grief t9oo, i guess well find out about the head huh??

GOOD LUCK!!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. I guess somehow the HG warped. Im just gonna get a new radiator cap to see if that helps. Then check for leaks again. ghet rid of the airleaks to see if that helps.

thanks.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:47 AM

i've seen readiator caps go bad and cuase this. is the cap in good shape and fairly new? i know it sounds dumb, but it has to hold pressure to help keep the coolant from boiling so easly.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: GT GT2871r water cooled turbo problems (moops vs moors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know about B series but on my D series there is no bleed valve for the coolant , so to bleed the system just run the engine with the radiator cap off and keep adding coolant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats how I did it, but also ran the heater in the background.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oscarmayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've seen readiator caps go bad and cuase this. is the cap in good shape and fairly new? i know it sounds dumb, but it has to hold pressure to help keep the coolant from boiling so easly.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My radiator cap is crap. I am gonna buy one today and try it out. Wish me luck!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:44 PM
i my honda
Global Mod

What year motor do you have. Some have the bleeder nipple and some dont. If you have it you should use it! Try jacking up the car in the front or parking on a hill, take off the rad cap and let the car run for awhile.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What year motor do you have. Some have the bleeder nipple and some dont. If you have it you should use it! Try jacking up the car in the front or parking on a hill, take off the rad cap and let the car run for awhile. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a 1998 GSR motor. Where would the exact bleeder location be?
Old 06-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 9:1 DB8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 1998 GSR motor. Where would the exact bleeder location be?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine is right in front of the water outlet on the front of the head. The highest point possible.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: (oscarmayer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oscarmayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've seen readiator caps go bad and cuase this. is the cap in good shape and fairly new? i know it sounds dumb, but it has to hold pressure to help keep the coolant from boiling so easly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

UPDATE

- I let the car cool down and I’ve re-bled the by running the car and running the heater in the background adding coolant.

- I also purchased a new radiator cap.

First I drove the car around in vacuum for 10 mins. Temperature isn’t spiking and I pulled over to check the reservoir level and it is at max level.

Second I drove the car and boosted about 50%. I pulled over to check the water level and still the same level.

Third... Finally ripped on it 2 gear, 3rd gear freeway pulls a few times. Drove back to my place in vacuum and shut the car off.

Temperature was normal and I popped the hood to check the fluid level. There was no bubbling or overflowing. However the reservoir filled about a 1/2 inch from the max line when the car was sitting. Hopefully this is okay.

I plan to go on a longer trip tomorrow and test it out more. I hope this cap solved the problem.

*fingers crossed*

*edit* Thanks Everyone for your input.

Modified by 9:1 DB8 at 6:21 PM 6/27/2006
Old 06-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (9:1 DB8)

do you know your HP or what psi are you boosting on? could just need a better radiator. i like my fluidyne (sp?) never had a problem.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:12 PM

Default Re: (abnaasefmb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by abnaasefmb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you know your HP or what psi are you boosting on? could just need a better radiator. i like my fluidyne (sp?) never had a problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Im boosting 1 bar. It has only been street tuned. Spent a good 3 hours on the tune to get good afr. I haven't got on the dyno yet.

My builder/tuner estimated power based on the feel of the car in comparison to other cars that have been tuned 310-330. Im shooting for 350 on the dyno.

No money for a radiator yet.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (9:1 DB8)

Get the factory radiator cleaned out they can and do get clogged up.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:37 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: (moops vs moors)

I still think it was the air
Glad its working better for you now.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Re: (moops vs moors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good job, although the real test will be a 4th gear pull at full boost for a few seconds.

if it passes that test you are good to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I drove hard on it all the way home just to put the car to a test. 1,2,3,4 gear.

When I got home the there was air bubbles being pushed into the resevoir.

could it be the HG, or should I redo the coolant again?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GT water cooled turbo problems (Mr Wonderfull)

hopefully you work out your problem...i had my fair share of problems awhile back was the fan polarity the whole entire time... hopefully its not the headgasket
Old 06-28-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: GT water cooled turbo problems (JDM_Risa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Risa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hopefully you work out your problem...i had my fair share of problems awhile back was the fan polarity the whole entire time... hopefully its not the headgasket</TD></TR></TABLE>

fawk just ran the leakdown. #4 is causing the air to get into the cooling system. Already got the head studs in the motor. HG and copper spray here I come.

Quick Reply: GT water cooled turbo problems