Notices

Greddy SOHC turbo kit problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 09:17 AM
GDD4LIFE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy SOHC turbo kit problems

I just finished installing the greddy kit on my D16Y7 and i had a few oil leaks and i sealed them up and took the car for a test drive. I started to hear metal banging inside the engine. So I figured the car was low on oil. I poured in some more and the metal is still clanking. I've put in about 4.5 quarts so i don't think it's low. But i'm thinking i have low oil pressure. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:33 AM
GDD4LIFE

Default Re: Greddy SOHC turbo kit problems (phthalo)

bump...
Old 09-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it always sound like there is metal in the engine, or is it only when your boosting. Could be mad detonation.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:16 AM
GDD4LIFE

Default Re: Greddy SOHC turbo kit problems (Cruiser G)

it always sounds like that
I'm starting to think it's detonation
Old 09-07-2003, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phthalo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just finished installing the greddy kit on my D16Y7 and i had a few oil leaks and i sealed them up and took the car for a test drive. I started to hear metal banging inside the engine. So I figured the car was low on oil. I poured in some more and the metal is still clanking. I've put in about 4.5 quarts so i don't think it's low. But i'm thinking i have low oil pressure. Any help would be appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that metal banging, does it sound like bb's in a can? if so that's the sound of detnotion. either retard the sytem a little bit or add a little more fuel into the mixture.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:36 AM
GDD4LIFE

it's deffinitely detonation. I have an a'pexi ver. 2 safc/hack....what should i set the curves at to get more fuel. I know what to do it's just that you guys can do it better than i can.
Old 09-07-2003, 10:56 AM
GDD4LIFE

if i just took out the safc and replaced it with the blue box would that fix the detonation or would i still have a problem
Old 09-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (phthalo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phthalo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if i just took out the safc and replaced it with the blue box would that fix the detonation or would i still have a problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

It would be alot safer than what you are running now. If you can hear detonation so bad you think your engine is falling apart then chances are you could have already done some damage. If you don't know how to adjust the safc, don't use it. Use something safe until you learn more about what the correct settings are for the safc.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:36 AM

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

i would say go with the blue box for now until you get the hang of the afc. blue box runs rich but it's better to use it than to spend $$$$$ for an engine rebuild.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phthalo)

I'm assuming you're using 450's with the AFC, right?

Anyways, the AFC "hack" is safer than the blue box...you just have to set it up right. There are a TON of resources on here that will take you step by step into setting that up. Please take a few minutes to search and read about it before plugging something in and hoping it'll work.

But for a temporary solution, the blue box should keep you running long enough for you to figure out how to set up the AFC hack. Good luck!

BTW, check your compression...hopefully you haven't done too much damage to the motor.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:05 PM
GDD4LIFE

i'm pretty sure the motor is messed up all ready. I had 450s from a 1g eclipse turbo but i had trouble idling them. then i switched back to the stock injectors and the car ran good for a few days. I installed the blue box just a little while ago and i started the car and let it sit. The "bb's in a can" sound was still there. I pressed the gas a little and the sound just got worse( it went from sounding like bb's in a can to marbles in a can if you know what i mean)i deffinitely did some damage to my pistons.....hopefully not to my walls though(although that's only wishful thinking). Thanks for addressing my problem guys