Notices

Greddy Profec B Spec 2, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greddy Profec B Spec 2, HELP!

i hooked the controller up like the manual says. i am using a 5 psi spring and i am boosting to 15 and more. i've played with it, checked all vaccum lines 4 or 5 times, researched and researched and i can't find a solution to the problem. i've heard of this exact problem happening to other people but no one says how to fix it.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Greddy Profec B Spec 2, HELP! (FullBoostAhead)

what do you have the set boost and gains set to? set everything to 0 and recheck to see if its still doing it , if not thats your prob. If it still does it my bet is on vac line routing , but im not sure how that would raise the boost level like that.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:06 AM

i've set everything to zero and still it will boost over spring load. it'll be around 6 or 7. and i've played with it alot. i'll set "set boost" to 100% which should be 10 psi. and it'll go way over. i have to be careful testing it because i don't know what to blow nothing up.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:26 AM

aslo if anyone could explain the "gain" and "set gain"(start boost) features better than the manual does that'd be cool. the manual is vague about the setting on this controller. i just want to turn the boost up from 5 to 10 psi or anywhere in between.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FullBoostAhead)

100% Is more than 10psi . at least it should be . that could be your prob.
when set to 0 and its going to 6-7 and you have a 5psi spring, i would say thats about normal . i never had my boost guage and boostcontroller and hondata all read the same exact psi . there was always like a 1-2 psi diff . so i wouldnt be too worried about that.
words of the wise. do everything in small incraments. that way you dont have to worry about breaking stuff by over boost, plus the nice thing about that controller is it has peak and hold features and has warning and boost cut features, those will help also so you can set the max boost you wanna reach and anything over that it will kick the boost back to whatever incraments you set. it takes some playing around with to get the idea of it. i havent messed with mine in a while, but i remember a few things from it . lol
Old 02-09-2004, 08:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FullBoostAhead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i'll set "set boost" to 100% which should be 10 psi. and it'll go way over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is your problem. "set boost" = start boost , if i remember correctly, it is in terms of psi not %. first make sure you set profec to read in terms of psi instead of bars, so you don't confuse yourself. then set everything back to zero. set, set boost, peak, gain, boost, etc etc. adjust boost to see if everything works first, then if things are okay play with gain, and then play with start boost.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:17 AM

ok i appreciate all the posts everyone. i am still researching more right now. i was under the impression that you could only double the spring rating. i'm wrong? i've got everything changed to psi. i don't understand what the "gain" or "start boost" feature does. the "start boost" opens the wastegate earlier or later right? when should it open? why does it work with the gain? the manual says "gain" adjusts the boost consistency and you can raise the boost by raising the gain. and "start boost" is used to adjust boost response, but if too close to set boost then it will boost spike.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:38 AM

anyone?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:33 PM

ok i think i've got it working now. the hi is pulling 8.5 psi steadily according to the EBC. lo is pulling 6psi steadily on the EBC. and i turn it off i can boost 5psi. thanx everyone for the help. one more thing, if anyone could explain how the "gain" feature works i'd be thankful. i don't know what the manual means by "boost consistency"? i understand the "start boost" but what should it be set at for a 5psi spring? 2 or 3 psi?4 maybe?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:53 PM

Jesus, I just got mine in the mail today, and all I read is how hard it is to set up
Old 02-10-2004, 12:59 PM

yeah get ready to have some fun! this thing seems easy until you play with it. installation is easy. some people have to set it up as internal wastegate when they have external. i've got mine wired up like external and it is working ok. i guess i need to play with it more.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: (GaDawgs)

I wish there were a definitive resource for how to install and set this thing up....anybody with a grip of knowledge wanna share? I'm boosting like 20 lbs, so I'm not really worried about blowing things up, just the inconvenience...
Old 02-10-2004, 01:05 PM

install is easy. setup has stumped me. i did a search in the archived content under forced induction and i put the words "profec b spec 2" and i found out alot of people had problems with it like me.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had one for a while and I really like. Your absolutely right though it's hard as hell to setup until you know what your doing. Unfortunately it took me a while. Here's some info off the top of my head though

Start Boost - what psi or kpa do you want he waste gate to start opening. This should be set as close to max boost as possible. The problem is that boost is set in % start boost is in psi or kpa.

% or boost - % of waste gate - at 100% your going to bleed off all the pressure the waste gate would be seeing. At 0% wastegate see's all the boost. Raising this will give you more boost because your bleeding off more boost through the controller. It's actually a more exact way of controlling boost because spring rates are going to vary according to the wastegate.

Gain - From what I understand this is the rate at which the controller bleeds off the boost that the wastegate sees. For example start boost is set at 6psi max at 7 psi. This means that the controller will start to open the wastegate at 6psi and vary the amount it opens the gate until 7psi. Now the gain sets the ratio of boost bleed off. High gain means it keeps bleeding off a lot of boost until it aproaches max boost then opens the gate all the sudden. This can cause boost spikes because the gate is open fast enough to release the exhaust gases that spool the turbo. Low gain in the opposite opens the wastegate right away. Perfect is somewhere in the middle.

I hope that helps. It's kind of long winded but what can you do.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:43 PM

Lucky_smurf is a savior. i will pm if i need more precise explaination. i kinda see what you are saying i just need to play with it more. thank you
Old 02-11-2004, 07:24 AM

well then how does the gain raise the boost level when you raise it?
Old 02-11-2004, 08:01 AM

nice Lucky, that seems to make a little more sense...
Old 02-11-2004, 09:20 AM

it does. it helped me out alot with my EBC. i still want to know how the gain affects boost. i grow to like this controller more and more every time i play with it. it's my first though so maybe i just like the idea of changing boost from my seat.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Greddy Profec B Spec 2, HELP! (FullBoostAhead)