Notices

Great white paper on Mixed Flow Turbine wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Great white paper on Mixed Flow Turbine wheels

Stumbled upon this googling away.

I know the standard is to (and most companies still do)use radial turbine wheels (dont know it, goggle it) but a few are starting to introduce Mixed Flow Turbine wheels (MFT) and found this white pape while searching

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijrm/2012/589720/

above link is full length in HTML format. It's way too lengthy to post here and it has illustrations I cannot link. however they do conveniently and gratefully have a link for a full length PDF document that you can download for free

the language in this paper is advanced, so turbo newbies probably won't get it but those involved in the turbo market and those advanced in turbo knowledge should understand a good chunk of it.

I might post the paper in the next reply if I can copy something that big on my phone (laptop screen cracked)
Old 12-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Great white paper on Mixed Flow Turbine wheels

I like how this design is heading.. It is really focused on transient response, which is what I always try achieve whenever sizing turbos.

There will be some trade off in efficiency at spots in which we want the most, like the steady-state high turbine RPM and really high pressure ratios (simulating a long highway run, topspeed pull). They really had to kick up the angle a lot to get the low turbine flow going.

I had a few turbos with damaged turbine wheels, and I am going to try to grind down the portion of the wheel to make it look like a mixed turbine wheel and see what it does for now...LOL Need to satisfy my sudden urge of better flowing turbines.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Great white paper on Mixed Flow Turbine wheels

a lot of BorgWarners EFR line is shifting over to MFTs lately, like the new 7163.

they put a lot of angle in the blade profile overall and the exducer has a pretty wicked curve, plus seeing how they've reprofiled the exducer section offers a lot of promise for performance improvement, transient response as well as a reduction in pre-turbine backpressure