Notices

Grayish white smoke HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grayish white smoke HELP

My car started to have excessive grayish white smoke out the exhaust at cruising speed while being in gear and in neutral at a stop. I have a greddy turbo running 6psi. I no it sounds like the head gasket but i only have 70k. I did a compression test and all of my cyclinders are within 10psi. of eachother and my spark plugs looked good, so I think the problem is with my turbo. I got a tip that my turbo could have shaft play. Should thier be zero play or is minor play acceptable, because i took my filter off to see if thier was any play and if i nudge the shaft back and forth a few times with light force it slightly moves. Is that normal?????<U></U>
I heard it might be a turbo seal or somthing related.
Can anyone help?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 AM
94ex-vtec

Default Re: Grayish white smoke HELP (00BoostedGSR)

As far as shaft play, all turbos will have at least a slight amount. As long as it spins freely and the fins dont hit the housings you are good. Just because it speins good does not mean that is does not have blown seals though. You would not be getting white smoke out of the exhaust though if your turbo was blown. YOu have a motor related problem, i would have guessed ringlands but you say compression is good. You might want to get someone who has experience to look at your car. White smoke is usually oil and that is never good especially in excess.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Grayish white smoke HELP (94ex-vtec)

white smoke is coolant/water. It'd be gray if you were burning oil. Also do a leakdown, you can have good compression and still have cracked ringlands.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Grayish white smoke HELP (Chris22215)

Compression test is good(200psi in each cylinder) And i did a leakdown test and at first i got a decent reading in all my cylinders except my 3rd and i got all worried then i thought about it and realized that the pressure of the air was actually spining my crank, thierfore cylinder#1 wasn't staying at TDC while the compressed air was in place. So [B]I readjusted the crank so cylinder #1 was at TDC and re-did the whole test and all my cylinders were fine except now the gauge was saying my forth cylinder was way out of spec, but i got a slight reading the first time. I tried like 3 more times, adjusting and readjusting the crank but i just couldnt get it. I figured that my crank was all lubed up and moving very freely, from previous testing and that the air pressure(100psi) was just moving it.[/B<U>]Does this sound right???? Do i just need a new turbo????</U>