Notices

Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!!

Ok I just put my car back together tonight. Last year my block was sent to GE to have them releeve, bore out etc. do a bunch of things. They were going to o-ring it for me, but I also called and sent a certified letter to them to deck the block FLAT!! (which they acknowledged) When I got my block back from them it was o-ringed!! I called them and they said that w/ so many orders coming in that it was hard to keep track of everything and if customer change things. I had already purchased a head gasket and they only offered to reimburse me for buying the correct one. They said that I still would be fine w/ the correct head gasket.

Well I just went ahead and bought correct head gasket from cometic myself and didnt bother for the reimbursment cuz I just didnt feel like doing more work. ( I know pretty damn lazy).

Well when I started the car today coolant started spraying out like CRAZY from #1 and #2 cylinders. I know I probably may just need to buy another different head gasket cuz it isnt sealing right. I used the cometic regular head gasket (GE says their blocks are not compatible w/ the HP gasket) and I even applied copper spray on it too. And now coolant is leaking in...I have heard of possible head gasket compatibility w/ o-ringed blocks so I HOPE this is the problem and will try to get a differnt damn gasket.

But that isnt the point I guess I am just soooo pissed that I need to do all this work again and try to see if the head gasket is the culprit. I am just upset bcuz I wanted my block deck flat and I just keep thinking if that happened I wouldnt be in this situation. Sorry for the long post but I just need to vent cuz I dont feel like working on my car again and hope that its a head gasket problem.

Just venting.....
Old 05-13-2003, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (Prelude Vtec 23)

Hopefully you'll be fine, just keep us updated about the new headgasket?
I have never seen coolant "Spray" but I have seen small leaks before. Take some pics

Modified by SOUNDEFFECTS at 12:24 AM 5/14/2003
Old 05-13-2003, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (SOUNDEFFECTS)

Shot right out of the spark plug hole. I was cranking w/out plugs to circulate the oil first. Good thing I did that first...instead for running it w/ coolant leaking in.

FYI: I am just frustrated putting in so much time into and having to backtrack, not bad mouthing anyone just mad.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (SOUNDEFFECTS)

good luck man i hope nothing is wrong !
Old 05-13-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (C-Redrum)

Trust me I know how u feel and wasn't trying to say that you were badmouthing anybody.

Could you some how got some coolant in the cylinders? (Probably not but had to ask) I would say it probably has soemthign to do with the headgasket but it will still seal somewhat correctly even if you did put the HP one on. I could only see something haapen like that if something was really off but sealing with o-rings and a HP cometic gasket shouldn't do that.

Keep us updated when you pull the head and snap a couple of dig photos so we can help

Modified by SOUNDEFFECTS at 2:02 AM 5/14/2003
Old 05-13-2003, 09:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOUNDEFFECTS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Trust me I know hwo u feel and wasn't trying to say that you were badmouthing anybody</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh I didnt even look at it like that, I just wanted to make it clear cuz when I read it again I didnt want people to get the wrong idea.

Anyways, I have had soooo many issues w/ what headgaskets are compatible w/ an O-ringed block from GE. I check re-checked and check again. People have said that the HP Gasket should work w/ o-ringed block. But GE says that they HP gasket will not work. I asked many people and it was always like 40/60 50/50 regarding Cometic HP gasket w/ GE o-ringed block vs. Cometic regular gasket w/ GE o-ringed block. Eventually I went w/ what GE said. I even have the printed out e-mail that said NOT TO USE THE HP GASKET.

Anyways...here we go again, "Does anyone have a GE o-ringed block. If so what gasket are you using. I see some people now are even buying a OEM gasket and sending it to GE to have them bore it out to fit. Help me out guys."
Old 05-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (Prelude Vtec 23)

Cometic will tell you not to run the hp gasket with o-rings. Use only the mls.
We use cometic MLS with both o-ringed blocks and raised sleeve blocks with absolutely no problems. When you pull the head check the sleeves to see if they dropped below the level of the deck of your block. Just lay a straight edge across cylinders 1 & 2. If you see light under the straight edge, the sleeves are the problem. If they look ok, make sure your head is not warped. If it is ok, perhaps your head gasket was installed wrong.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:20 PM

did you torque everything down to spec?
Old 05-14-2003, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (@irborne)

As far as the basics (torque specs, head gasket install) those were all carefully checked before it was put together. I really, really hope that it is just a problem with the gasket. I know that everything was done correctly I just hope it's not the block.
Old 05-14-2003, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You can use the MLS gasket or a stock over-bored gasket with 3 coats (or so) of copper spray.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a GEM resleeved and o-ringed block. I'm going to use an OEM overbored head gasket. My pictures are below.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/alp...o.com/

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/alp...iew=t

If the above doesn't work try this ...
Old 05-14-2003, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (0x64)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a GEM resleeved and o-ringed block. I'm going to use an OEM overbored head gasket. My pictures are below.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/alp...iew=t

If the above doesn't work try this ...
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/alp...o.com/</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your going too, so you havent done so yet? I heard of that option as well, just curious as to who recommended that to you and if it worked for them.

Looks like everyone is saying that headgasket should have worked for me. Hmmm....Last time I researched this "some" people said that it didnt work for them, hopefully thats my case and I can try the OEM.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No I have not done so yet. I have all the parts sitting here as the pictures showed. I'm waiting on a couple more parts for the tranny and head. Who recommended the OEM head gasket? I think Vapor might have but mainly Vince from GEM recommended it to me. When I got my block back there was even a piece of paper in there to remind me to use an OEM head gasket. I really had no reason to use anything other than an OEM head gasket.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (0x64)

Check your dowelpins so thay are´nt to long..
Old 05-14-2003, 08:42 AM

I know how you feel. Welcome to Golden Leak.

Sorry to say this, I have no faith in them!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (Unknwn_1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unknwn_1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know how you feel. Welcome to Golden Leak.

Sorry to say this, I have no faith in them!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you speak from personal experience? If so what happened?

And as far as using OEM gaskets bored out, I started hearing about that only a couple of months ago. GE was the one that recomended Cometic to me when I originally made the purchase.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Tony suggested using over-bored OEM with copper spray.. I think Vince did too.
You can use the cometic but just not the HP for o-ringed blocks. Make sure to retorque after a few hundred easy miles.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:54 AM

We had tried every possible method as far as replacing headgaskets. We gave up after pulling the head out 3-4 times. Also, We had a local machine shop checked to see if the sleeves were sinking. And nope nope no no, ................ we will never do business with GEM.

So now we ended up with a brand new CRV block (stock sleeves) and it works just fine!
Old 05-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (Unknwn_1)

so why dont you call them and have their techs check it out? Im sure they will test it to see whats wrong if so replace it. (909) 592 - 4311 give em a call you know, people do make mistakes you know.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unknwn_1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We had tried every possible method as far as replacing headgaskets. We gave up after pulling the head out 3-4 times. Also, We had a local machine shop checked to see if the sleeves were sinking. And nope nope no no, ................ we will never do business with GEM.

So now we ended up with a brand new CRV block (stock sleeves) and it works just fine!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never had 1 issue from a GE block been using one for years
Old 05-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (ludesleep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesleep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so why dont you call them and have their techs check it out? Im sure they will test it to see whats wrong if so replace it. (909) 592 - 4311 give em a call you know, people do make mistakes you know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-14-2003, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (ludesleep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludesleep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so why dont you call them and have their techs check it out? Im sure they will test it to see whats wrong if so replace it. (909) 592 - 4311 give em a call you know, people do make mistakes you know</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this point towards me? I know people make mistakes which they did (see orig post). When I contact them I accepted the fact that it was o-ringed in error, but was assured that if the proper head gasket was used it would still seal properly. The work on the block was done last year. Right now I dont want to take apart my whole motor and ship my block back to them. I am being hopefull that this can be resolved just by getting the "right" head gasket. Until then, I do not want to even think about taking apart the whole motor again.

I know GE has a pretty good reputation. That is why I chose them. It was just unfortunate that this happened to me. I am not bad mouthing them. Right now I just need to find out why it was leaking. Again I am hoping very much that it is as "simple" as putting on the correct gasket.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:34 AM

This is the problem:

"They were going to o-ring it for me, but I also called and sent a certified letter to them to deck the block FLAT!!"

What made you change your mind after you sent it?
I have had nothing but good experience with GEM. Hope everything works out.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think he was asking Unknwn_1. Keep us updated on your problem(s) Prelude Vtec 23. I want to see the outcome.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!! (Dublocivic)

We always suggest using OEM gaskets whenever possible. A few things to check out first:
1. Check the dowel pins to be sure they are not too long
2. Make sure the gasket is on the right way
3. Be sure to do the torque sequence correctly and make sure everything is in order
4. Make sure eveything is clean
5. Be sure that you have the o-ring wire installed properly. If this is the prob, then you may want to remove th o-ring and run it without it! ( not recommended but may be worth a shot )

If for some reason you determine it to be the block with the issues, then please give us a call a.s.a.p to rectify the problem.

Quick Reply: Golden Eagle resleeved block....coolant leaking into block now!!!!!!!!