Notices

Golden Eagle or Darton or ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golden Eagle or Darton or ??

Ok, this is more for future use and to just have the info on hand incase someone else needs the advice. Which do you guys prefer GE sleeves or Darton? Im familiar with GE pricing but I know nothing about Darton.

Also, I still dont have the whole bore and hone understanding. For example, if I want to make my B18C1 block a 2.0 sleeved block, what does that entail? What size pistons should I buy?

Any advice/help/suggestions are appreciated.

Old 05-13-2003, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Golden Eagle or Darton or ?? (phiberoptik)

I personally went with Darton, but you should be good with either one that you pick. I've heard a couple of bad things about both, but I hear ten times more good things about them. Pricewise, Darton is more expensive IMO i think they are a little better than GE. You really can't go wrong with either one.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:20 AM

if you want a 2.0l gsr then go with 84mm bore and 84mm pistons.
Pistons will be shelf items because of the b20 blocks are 84mm stock.

I prefer Golden Eagle. GE's work has yet to fail on me.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle or Darton or ?? (ekb18c)

i just got my GE block in the mail the other day. Im very satified and wanna thank Viren&Vince for such a beatiful block. They did an awesome job ..very clean!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle or Darton or ?? (ludesleep)

Golden Eagle!!! Excellent customer serive, Excellent Product quality/durability/longevity, and a VERY fair price.

-Armaan
Old 05-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have darton sleeves i think there are alot better than ge.....
Old 05-13-2003, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dabestdj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dabestdj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have darton sleeves i think there are alot better than ge.....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-13-2003, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ludesleep)

It was a toss up for me , I went with Darton for my set up . for a few reasons, time) , i knwo it takes a little to get your block back from them which is understadnable. but i dont like shipping my block out.
money) dartons were cheaper becuas i got good deals on my stuff thru sponsors

either or , they are both great companies, i actually hear more people using GE than Darton , so i wanted to be a little diff
Old 05-13-2003, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ludesleep)

i have tried both and bot hare excellent quality. GE is with complete bore and hone with align bore which ireccommend will run you around 1100 while a comparable Darton Sleeved closed deck is around 1250.00
Old 05-13-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Re: (b18bturbo)

I like Golden Eagle, but that't just me
If you need any info, please give us a call anytime (909) 592 - 4311.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GoldenEagleMfg.com)

i wish they would help me out(GE)....instead i get the run around....im getting sick of it. i would like to run sometime this season.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2.2Lcivic)

How are they giving you the run around? They have two people who work there soley to answer people's phone calls.

I went with GEM's sleeves but I had a little more than that done. You will be happy with GEM's sleeves or Darton sleeves. I couldn't find anyone I would trust in my area to do the machine work and had been talking to Vince for a while so I went with GEM. I'm glad I did because they have helped me allot even after the work was done.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (0x64)

i got them to sleeve, deckplate, and provide rods and pistons to work in the block. when i finally get it all back. i was going to assm and started checking a few things, also i sent them 300 extra bucks for overnight shipping and they somehow "lost it" or "forgot it" or "dont know" about it.

- deck hight was too tall (already had o-rings machined into it)
- rods needed to be machined to fit crank (should have been made clear that this needed to be done i order to work, but i was told nothing about)
-piston to wall clearance was slightly to large.

so i spent 300 on absolutly nothing(lost shipping $$), than i sent it back to them with the crank and main caps this time, and had to spend another 350 for shipping back to them, 2nd day, because i dont want to wait till next season to make a pass.....

so i figure i lost out on around 650 that i could have spent elsewhere, like actually getting the block assmbled or maybe starting on the parts for the cyl head

another thing they wanted to charge me 280 for an align bore when i can get it done locally for 160? why is that? someting special about a ge align bore that i dont know about.....

also my electric water pump is taking forever from them...something about the idler pulley, but who knows if they will even get that right

anyway...maybe i shouldnt be bitching and actually enjoy getting fucked.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to hear you had so many problems =/
Old 05-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (0x64)

ya, maybe i shouldnt really post that on the board, but whatever, i dont give a **** anymore. noone else does apparently so, "its whatever"

on the other hand if my name was sav leone, maybe things would have been differant...
Old 05-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey dave what kinda of issues are you having with the block id you get them to build it or what not.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:43 AM

O.K., that's enough man. Was the Sav comment really neccesary? Give whoever you have been dealing with over here, I am assuming Ted, a call and I'm sure we can straigten this out for you.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b18bturbo)

no i dont think they are building it, i asked ted if he would help me out alittle, but i think all they did was machine the rods down, and re deck and o ring it....than they are going to send it back to me with the electric water pump setup...it would be really nice if they did assm it for me...im kinda pissed about it, but id still do business with them in the future.

everytime i call i tell them who i am and ask them if they have any word on my "deckplate block", and im sure they knwo why im calling, but insist on asking which block was that..
Old 05-13-2003, 01:45 PM

i got dartons for my setup which should be back in a day or so . i had viren build my motor since i dont have any experience in that area but from all i have heard viren is the man and he answered the phone everytime i called and didnt have a problem answering my questions.

Viren=

2.0 gsr=

Old 05-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.2Lcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i dont think they are building it, i asked ted if he would help me out alittle, but i think all they did was machine the rods down, and re deck and o ring it....than they are going to send it back to me with the electric water pump setup...it would be really nice if they did assm it for me...im kinda pissed about it, but id still do business with them in the future.

everytime i call i tell them who i am and ask them if they have any word on my "deckplate block", and im sure they knwo why im calling, but insist on asking which block was that.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dave i had to do the same thing with Lenny motors deck plate probably the exact same setup with crower long rod and gSR crank and 84.5mm bore yeah the rods they have are ls rods and not GSr so you have to mafchine the ends not a difficult but i didnt know either till i measure them. Dont worry. water pump is great idea from them or else you will be fumbling around trying to find the right belt. its about 1.865 inch longer
Old 05-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Future Texas Boy

My two Golden Eagle Blocks are excellent.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GoldenEagleMfg.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoldenEagleMfg.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">O.K., that's enough man. Was the Sav comment really neccesary? Give whoever you have been dealing with over here, I am assuming Ted, a call and I'm sure we can straigten this out for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you know if my block was shipped out yet? (b18c 3/4 deckplate,crower rods,arias 10.0:1 pistons, elec water pump setup) for PSI PROformance.

i would really appriciate it if something was compensated for...im at a loss for 650+ the 245 i paid the machine shop to wash the block, polish and balance the crank, also start checking all of the clearances, only to find out it wasnt right in the first place. and than have to go through all of this.

... everytime i call i feel like im hasseling ted, or robert or the lady who answers the phone. but, if you could fix the deck problem,piston to wall clearance,machine the rods, line bore and assm bottom end i would appreciate it....i talked to robert about 2 or 3 weeks ago and he said that you guys wanted another 875 or somewhere in that range to build my bottom end and fix the problems. needless to say i dont feel at fault on this one, and feel that i should be taken care(assm bottom end) of in this situation.

another thing, i know you guys are big in the industry, but it would be appriciated if you didnt conviently "forget" about us little guys.

i was planning on this car will be hitting all major east coast events this season to promote my business and also to possibly pick up a sponsor. if all goes well

thanks

dave
PSI PROformance
Old 05-13-2003, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle or Darton or ?? (vtecvoodoo)

I run and sell Dartons. CNC installed and perfect in every way. Most people these days are staying away from GEM I think cause it seems like you are actually starting to get what you pay for. Although you will always hear good things just cause there are so many out there.
Theres gonna be a couple of R's from this board that are getting Darton blocks on their cars in the next month or so....Im sure you'll be hearing good things from them.
A little something to wet your whistle.

Old 05-14-2003, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle or Darton or ?? (93LSivic)

thanks Dan , thats what i needed to get me wet hahahah a.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Golden Eagle or Darton or ?? (itr206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks Dan , thats what i needed to get me wet hahahah a. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya man me too. Can't wait

Quick Reply: Golden Eagle or Darton or ??