Notices

Going turbo, need advice!!

Old 05-12-2002, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going turbo, need advice!!

I just bought a semi-complete greddy turbo kit w/intercooler for my 94si with the stock d16 engine in it, and have some questions:

1) It didnt come with black box.. What is that and do I need it?

2) It didnt come with injectors.. do I really need them?

3) and here is a list of things I was thinking of buying before I slap on the turbo:

-D-series block guard
-msd ignition w/wires
-cam gear
-and trying to get a stage 2b hondata with boost

Basically I want to run about 6 psi, but still be on the safe side, since this car will also have to keep its reliablitiy. PLEASE tell me if you guys recomend something ealse or have any suggestions.

thank you for your patience.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Going turbo, need advice!! (danny)

well since you say your are trying to get hondata, the BLUE box is not necesary. If you are going to get hondata, get 440cc injectors or above and a walbro 255lph intank fuel pump.

Dont need a block guard, especially at 6 psi.

I dunno about cam gears.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can expand on some things i said
Old 05-12-2002, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Going turbo, need advice!! (intekragsr)

Okay, Why is it necesary to get injectors? (especially 440's it sounds big for my puny little block)

and I forgot to state that I will probably want to turn up the boost at the track or races, but 6 is a base, so I will probably need the block guard if I dont get different pistons and rods, and run higher boost, right?

And about the cam gear, dont I need it to tune the car?

Basically I want a very cheap efficient turbo setup.. Only the necessities(if there is such a thing)...hehe

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-12-2002, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, Why is it necesary to get injectors? (especially 440's it sounds big for my puny little block)
If you don't get larger injectors, then you'll need some sort of rising rate FMU for proper fueling under boost. Since you're going Hondata, then an FMU + Hondata would be overly complicated to tune, so you'd be better off with larger injectors controlled by the Hondata.
Does that make sense?
Old 05-12-2002, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Going turbo, need advice!! (inspyral)

hey im sellin a red aem tru-time cam gear. but honestly, if ur savin up on cash, screw the cam gear. it wont really do u any good on a sohc anyway. i mean, u can shift your powerband around, but ur not gonna get anything that wasn't already there. meaning u can gear it to gain some top end, but ur gonna lose torque. or u can gain some low end torque, but u'll end up losing some up top. it's basically a trade off, and the sohcs are set up pretty good already where they are. just one of the disadvantages of our single cams
Old 05-12-2002, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Going turbo, need advice!! (Pengo)

oh yea, and dont get the black box...if anything get the blue box. newer and with fewer problems/conflicts. good luck. i'm looking to build my greddy turb sohc soon too
Old 05-12-2002, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Going turbo, need advice!! (Pengo)

well how much do you plan to turn it up to at the track? The sized of the engine does not really dictate the size of your injectors. Be more specific so we can answer you at once.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Going turbo, need advice!! (intekragsr)

Thanks for the offer of the cam gear, how much are you looking to get for it...

As for the boost in the track, Im looking no more than what my engine can take, which I believe would be about 10psi,(correct me if im wrong please) and also, as far as tunning wouldnt a block guard help insure that my engine wont blow. I really dont know what else to be specific on, besides, that.

Also, I know that I have a P28 ecu, as far as the hondata, what would I need to make it work with my ecu, .... do I have to weld anything? or would I have to buy something besides the hondata?

Thanks for the great advice...
Old 05-13-2002, 12:38 PM
New User

You will blow your ring lands, bend a rod, or burn a hole in a piston long before you will need a block guard, in my opinion. Most people don't really thing the block guard does any good at all, and many people think they make matters worse by retaining too much heat near the combustion chamber.

Get the Hondata, some bigger injectors (if you want to be cheap, do a search on this board for "DSM INJECTORS") and don't waste your money on cam gears, block guard, or the Greddy box, blue or black.
Old 05-13-2002, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Going turbo, need advice!! (dbman96)

Hey sounds good to me, just wanted advice, thanks guys for everything, and hopefully you will see me soon running good times. Hehe.

Once again, thanks for everything.

danny