Notices

godspeed turbo kits on ebay for $650.00 shipped... b18b

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default godspeed turbo kits on ebay for $650.00 shipped... b18b

I'm sure it's been discussed over and over and over.. I'm looking to install a turbo kit on my db7 integra.. The car has a b18b in it.. Funds are sorta low... and I've been inbetween lsvtec and just a turbo on 7-8 pounds. God speed is selling a .57 trim kit with cast manifold for 650 shipped.. it's super complete minus injectors/fuel pump .. I can get a base map/tune here locally so what my question is... what's your guys' experience running these kits on LOW psi?
I'm not looking for HP numbers, The car is for autox, just looking for alittle more umph.. I'm not planning on EVER going past 10 psi if I ever even do that.. So I'm looking at 240ish hp max..

So on low boost, what's the pro's / cons? is a kit with intercooler and pipes, wg/ bov/ boost gauge/ turbo/ cast mani/ and all lines worth picking up for 650? Is it safe to say it would be a decent builder kit/starter kit.. I can always upgrade turbo's or intercooler.. opinions please!!

AND PLEASE... I don't need the EBAY is no good.. I have had many many cars with ebay parts.. I know that SOMETIMES you get what you pay for... But I also know that SOMETIMES paying more doesn't mean you get more.. so please lets not make this an ebay item debate... lets just focus on the GODSPEED kits and experiences with them.. thanks!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: godspeed turbo kits on ebay for $650.00 shipped... b18b

my 2 cents? quit being a cheap bastard and save up your money until you can afford quality ish. i dont' understand why people insist on boosting their cars when they have no $$. boost ain't cheap, find a new hobby
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Godspeed is eBay. The only things I would use from that kit would be the lines, the intercooler, and the charge piping. Other than that it's a 50/50 chance on what you get and how long it's going to last. Picking up a used 50 or 57 trim journal bearing Garrett turbo would be a good choice. They're not very expensive if you can find one on here.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedBLUfg2
my 2 cents? quit being a cheap bastard and save up your money until you can afford quality ish. i dont' understand why people insist on boosting their cars when they have no $$. boost ain't cheap, find a new hobby
Find a new hobby?! wut? listen, this isn't a thread that gives permission for you to be a d-bag... If you have NO actual experience with THESE kits then go kick rocks... I know lots and lots and lots of people that don't spend thousands on turbo kits and run them reliably at much higher boost levels then I plan.. Just cause parts don't say GREDDY doesn't mean it isn't quality. $ isn't the issue or the question.. how well does the kit work at 8 lbs of boost.. thats the question..
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ryguy2588
Godspeed is eBay. The only things I would use from that kit would be the lines, the intercooler, and the charge piping. Other than that it's a 50/50 chance on what you get and how long it's going to last. Picking up a used 50 or 57 trim journal bearing Garrett turbo would be a good choice. They're not very expensive if you can find one on here.
so no go on the cast manifold either? I have a few friends that I can pick up some upgraded turbo's from. And I figured the turbo would not last for a LONG time.. thanks!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll say this, there warranty is good. I use there piping kits all the time. And my brother old car made 460 on there cheap kit. The turbo lasted a year being beat on everyday and the cheap ram mannie lasted 8 months. After replacing turbo and mannie there was no more problems. Its a hit and miss with them. Fmic and piping you can't go wrong. The cast is alot better so I do not see a issue.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

U can use the cast manifold, but im gonna use the blox manifold just for wastegate placement. With the Godspeed kits, the wastegate is on a single runner and not where all of the runners meet. But for low boost I wouldn't forsee too many problems of boost creeping or spiking, but u never know.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I started with an Ebay brand kit, made 310whp on GSR-T with 290,000. The GSR had cracked ringlands because somehow my ecu or hondata s100 stopped working properly. After sometime i rebuilt my bottom, bought s300, upgraded my Ebay brand tubular manifold to a go-autoworks and oh boy was there a night and day difference. Upgraded my t3t04e .57trim to a precision 6262 then upgraded my bov to a turbo smart, then upgraded my wastegate to a precision wastegate. I eventually tuned and made 370whp with two exhaust leaks.. I enjoyed my Ebay brand kit once i started upgrading the cheap kit made me realize the quality parts made a world of difference.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My buddy got a kit like that. We've been working at it for months now trying to get the car tunable and its just problem after problem. 50% his fault for being a noob and 50% parts breaking.

I got a used greddy kit for a grand with almost everything I needed minus clutch wide band fuel pump and some misc ****. Car was running great in a weekend.

I'll say this. The turbo may or may not work. The wastegate may or may not work. The piping is probably ok. The manifold is ok, but you wont be getting A/c. The downpipe will be useless and will need to be modified. Just look at the pics lol.
Oil line fittings will probably break with any sort of torque and leak.

So yeah, your call lol.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+1 and v+1 u said urself u know sometimes u get what u pay for and sometimes u don't so let me ask u this, do u have a gambling problem, cuz ebay itself is like rolling the dice. So y not save and piece together a kit? Even if the parts are used u could get all name brand quality stuff for around 800 bucks, so y risk getting ripped and pissing money down the drain, not to mention the fact people like u take money away from the" real" companies who spemd countless hours and billions of $ in r&d. I know money is tight now days but just save and u will be better off and so will the import industry not to mention u wont have to worry, again like u said sometimes u get what u paid for and if u buy quality parts u always get what u pay for and if something goes wrong 99% of the time they make it right. As for ur original question, godspeed ic suck a buddy of mine gained hp by removing the ic completely on a 240 and another friends turbo blew in 2 days. As for piping, well piping is piping unless it is massively oversized and has a million 180 degree bends.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm selling a garrett turbo with a used greddy front mount (92-95 eg kit) if interested. Otherwise yes, I would also say save up for some good parts because you'll just end up spending even more in the long run if you have to keep replacing turbo's, wastegates etc.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Godspeed makes surprisingly well built/quality turbo's. I have had a lot of experience with their turbos and it is not a shitty piece of aluminum foil that is made in China as everyone likes to relate to ebay. I would definitely use a nice manifold, wg, and bov though. Charge pipes aren't just charge pipes. A close friend of mine had an ebay purchased set of pipes and the bov tube and flange blew off the piping!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can skimp out on some parts but overall when wanteding a reliable turbo setup its best to use good parts. you can get away with an ebay cast log, sre sels on ebay and they make charge pipes for about 150 bcks and there good, ive been running them for years. as for turbo id go new garrett, wastegate get a turbosmart or tial 38mm used or new. downpipe will have to be made, you can cheap out on an intercooler providing your not tryng to run crazy amounts of boost. the mishimoto ones are cheap and do a decent job.

BUT keep in mind there are alot of ods and ends when turbocharging a car, then there is the expensive tuning. this isnt a broke mans hobby. im not being a jerk im just keeping it real. if you dont have the money its best not to turbo because they do like to break and usually not cheap parts break. just a heads up man god luck in whatever you decide to build
Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dougday84
$ isn't the issue or the question.

Funny, since in your original post you stated that "funds are sorts low"

And also as stated by turbo-ls, this isn't a broke mans hobby, things add up quick when reliably building a turbo honda
Old 04-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Find a new hobby?! wut? listen, this isn't a thread that gives permission for you to be a d-bag... If you have NO actual experience with THESE kits then go kick rocks... I know lots and lots and lots of people that don't spend thousands on turbo kits and run them reliably at much higher boost levels then I plan.. Just cause parts don't say GREDDY doesn't mean it isn't quality. $ isn't the issue or the question.. how well does the kit work at 8 lbs of boost.. thats the question..
i actually do have experience with godspeed specifically, my buddy boosted his car with a godspeed kit and everything was a POS about it. the killing blow was when his godspeed wg stuck shut and popped his motor. oh, and that was after he replaced his manifold due to the GS one cracking. even the turbo was a POS and smoked heavily within a few k miles.

so... go kick rocks. or heed my advice. whichever you do matters nothing to me. it's just annoying seeing people constantly trying to take the shortcut on this site instead of doing stuff right
Old 04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmugensivic

And also as stated by turbo-ls, this isn't a broke mans hobby, things add up quick when reliably building a turbo honda
raise your hand if you've spent over 3g on a turbo setup

{hands go up of people who have had their cars running for years}
Old 04-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take a good read here:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/noobs-ebay-turbos-your-questions-answered-1749857/

There is also a monstrous "Post your eBay turbo Dyno" thread of people successfully running this concept and setup but "haters will hate."

Personally, I'd run any of it...minus the turbo itself which can most likely be found in used and good condition which is name brand, tried and true.

The rest is all name brand trivial bullshit. At the end of the day a good tune is the key.

Is this going to get you 100k miles, probably not...but I'm sure your aware of this.

Just my $.02
Old 04-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you get what you pay for.....there is no such thing as quality and cheap....or even decent and cheap. this godpseed stuff is the same as the rest of the chinese crap sold on ebay.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive pieced my kit together for about 1200 so far without a tune, and thats with all quality parts mostly second hand but in good condition. I will say though that I bought an ebay 57 trim turbo, it was 100 bucks so I figured I would try it. If it blows thats fine I'll buy a good one and lesson learned. It takes time and patience and spending hours on here and other forums looking for deals. I'll be happy when I finally get it all up and running and still have money for other things that come up.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i actually do have experience with godspeed specifically, my buddy boosted his car with a godspeed kit and everything was a POS about it. the killing blow was when his godspeed wg stuck shut and popped his motor. oh, and that was after he replaced his manifold due to the GS one cracking. even the turbo was a POS and smoked heavily within a few k miles.

so... go kick rocks. or heed my advice. whichever you do matters nothing to me. it's just annoying seeing people constantly trying to take the shortcut on this site instead of doing stuff right
Uhmmm.. when your advice is and was not directed toward the quality of the turbo kit and instead directed right at me... I can and will tell you to kick rocks.. anyone can be a big bad d-bag with a keyboard infront of them... I'm not trying to take short cuts, I was asking a legit question.. I haven't taken personal jabs at anyone, so when you put your big boy pants on and decide to give real, constructive advice... then please come back.. if you can't do that then I'll ignore your posts and write you off as little more then dirt.. mmmkay pumpkin?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackmugensivic

Funds are low.. but I think that phrase means different things to different people. I am not discussing my finances with any of you... so let me make this clear.....

What I wanted to know was.... is it worth buying this kit that is complete and using it for 8 lbs of boost... while maybe upgrading the wg, maybe the manifold or turbo or a few other parts with quality parts OVER buying a new, nae brand greddy kit (or other brand) for 4 times the price?? Is the ebay kit upgradable?? I can source a quality turbo for a ecent price... and I can piece together a turbo kit for 2k... but is it needed if I only plan on running minimal boost?? How much quality do I need to have to run 8lbs?? And what are the weak links that houl be considered if I do use an ebay kit to build off? That's the question (s) its not for you to be an *** and try and demean me or pick apart my finances.. cause low to you might be 10 bucks, low to me might be 3k.. I'm asking about th PRODUCT... that's it..

To the est of you, thanks for your opinions... I had searched and searched and found some good, and some bad... what I wanted was some actual experience.. if I was to buy the kit for 650 and upgrade the turbo, the wg, and a few other things I was hoping on some input on if that was an ok route.. if I was planning on running 350 hp+ then a nice quality kit would be used.. but since this is my play car I figured it was worth the thought and the question.. I have not ordered anything, I'm simply researching and adding up costs to see what route I will take.. that's all.. as I said, I might even just go lsvtec.. just on the fence for now.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For $650 shipped why not. Go ahead and see how it works out. The most important thing is tuning. I've seen people with cheap setups make more power and go faster then some cars with quality parts. Just get a good tuner and take your time installing everything correctly.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Uhmmm.. when your advice is and was not directed toward the quality of the turbo kit and instead directed right at me... I can and will tell you to kick rocks.. anyone can be a big bad d-bag with a keyboard infront of them... I'm not trying to take short cuts, I was asking a legit question.. I haven't taken personal jabs at anyone, so when you put your big boy pants on and decide to give real, constructive advice... then please come back.. if you can't do that then I'll ignore your posts and write you off as little more then dirt.. mmmkay pumpkin?
so i post up my experience of THREE main parts of a turbo kit that they provide being garbage,and you completely dismiss it? ok jr haha. why ask this question if you're set in your ways? you say 'funds are low' and you want to buy a cheap piece of **** kit. that is taking a shortcut.

and and btw, whoever said most of a kit is trivial bullshit.. that guy is a moron. everything down to the bov or wg is very important in function. ever been in a car when a wg fails to open? i have!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly just sit back and think about it. You will spend more money replacing parts as they break than getting better parts first. As stated before you can get the intercooler kit from them and that is about it. My friend bought a kit from them after me telling him for a month not to and he regrets it. It was 650 dollars down the drain after having to replace almost all of the parts except the BOV and the oil drain and feed lines. Even the fittings for the drain/feed lines had to be replaced. As a fellow honda lover just please save up 1500 bucks or so and piece together the kit the right way. Im just trying to look out for ya.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It not that the shitdoesnt work, ts that it doesnt work for very long. the turbos are hit or miss. most end up with bad bearinsg quickly and some last a while but you have to run an oil restrictor for sure. the tubular manifolds are a joke but the cast hold up. The downpipes are a joke and dont line up. the wastegates work for a while then crap out and you get all sorts of boost spike or no boost at all. for example i ran an off brand wastegate on my cheap build a few year back i had got for free with a 4 psi spring it was getting 12 psi boost LOL and in the end 16 psi of boost.

you can do it the cheap way with one of those kits but in the end your going to spend that 650 and then rebuy everything and have wasted that 650 bucks

Quick Reply: godspeed turbo kits on ebay for $650.00 shipped... b18b