Notices

Go-Autoworks Turbo Kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 02:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Go-Autoworks Turbo Kits

Ive got a B16a in my CRX which I've been running NA for a while. It was tuned to 162hp with only a set of CTR cams and I've had a lot of fun with it pulling a 14.2 on the 1/4 mile, but I'd like to go turbo...

The bottom end has forged SRP pistons and Eagle rods and the cylinder head has Skunk2 titanium springs and retainers. These are the only mods.

I like the turbo kits on the Go-Autoworks website and have read many favorable reviews as far as quality and customer service but I can't decide on the power level. I DO know that I'd like to run in the 12-sec range.

Looking for the turbo gurus on here for suggestions on selecting a turbo to reach for my goal with a little headroom just in case I want to turn up the boost ;-)

Thanks H/T
Old 05-12-2015, 05:32 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Go-Autoworks Turbo Kits

Fitment of their kits are **** in my own personal experience. I made 3 larger purchases from them and every single one had issues with quality. Don't worry though "ship it back and it's covered under his warranty". What happened to getting something right the first time? Actually, that's been my experience with MULTIPLE Honda specific (or more focused towards Honda) companies the entire time I have been modding them. It gets old real quick and they are lucky I am quick to get on the phone rather than make threads... Anyways, what was the question again? LMFAO!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had good experience with spooling performance , he has great customer service. But I'm making 28x hp and I ran a 2.2 my first run, my last time out. My motor gave out or I think I would of went 11.99 atleast . So a kit that is capable of of 250 hp and some slicks will get you into the 12s for sure
Old 05-12-2015, 07:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What happened to ur motor?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Me? It looks like the return line bolts backed out on the turbo side
Old 05-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

ive heard nothing but good things from go autoworks, besidez from one person. gregs always given me aswell as my friend good customer service and help when needed. i purchased quite a few things from them.

gt500 fmic
two different turbos
catch can setup
stainless steel braided clutch line
radiator and shroud
aem digital boost gauge
tial accessories
and we ordered a kraftwerks kit from him aswell

few other things im forgetting. but, when i go to redo my hot parts setup will be thru go autoworks. no fitment issues from anything. the slim fan was ****, but that was expected

Last edited by ls joker; 05-16-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go-Autoworks is a great company and while every company will have people who are not happy with them, Greg's percentage for happy customers is VERY high.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a cold side intercooler piping kit not even fit. It was to be used with an edelbrock manifold and the piping would hit the shock tower and not even align with the throttle body, complete junk. Don't buy the turbonetics turbos he sells, they are complete garbage. I bought a turbonetics 6165 and the seals blew with not even 100 miles on it. I sent it to turbonetics and they rebuilt it under warranty and now this past friday on the 4th dyno pull the turbo takes a ****, a brand new rebuilt turbo.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ls joker
ive heard nothing but good things from go autoworks, besidez from one person. gregs always given me aswell as my friend good customer service and help when needed. i purchased quite a few things from them. gt500 fmic two different turbos stainless steel braided clutch line radiator and shroud aem digital boost gauge tial accessories and we ordered a kraftwerks kit from him aswell few other things im forgetting. but, when i go to redo my hot parts setup will be thru go autoworks. no fitment issues from anything. the slim fan was ****, but that was expected
How much was shipping tho?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had great experiences with Greg at Go-Autoworks ..good prices and fast shipping
Old 05-13-2015, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shipping has always been fair or comparable to others. hes takin pretty great care of me and my friends. dont really want to say how far he went so others wont try to pull the same lol.

i havent had any problems with the 6157 or the 5857 turbo. both have been thru alot. sometimes there are situations when its just a fluke. we had an issue with clutchmasters that was just so upsetting. but it still didnt phase us from being return customers.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lovehondas
I had a cold side intercooler piping kit not even fit. It was to be used with an edelbrock manifold and the piping would hit the shock tower and not even align with the throttle body, complete junk. Don't buy the turbonetics turbos he sells, they are complete garbage. I bought a turbonetics 6165 and the seals blew with not even 100 miles on it. I sent it to turbonetics and they rebuilt it under warranty and now this past friday on the 4th dyno pull the turbo takes a ****, a brand new rebuilt turbo.
Yea, I have one of their kits as well and that is my only complaint which would be the fitment of the cold side. I have to work some really awkward angles to get that pipe to work. It definitely does not fit as square as it should. I don't know if its the angles or length of the cold side but it just doesn't fit quite right. Like when you square up the cold side starting from the inner-cooler than get to the throttle body the pipe doesn't mate up exactly. It is off by 1 pipe diameter back towards the fire wall, like looking at the TB it sits off to the left.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

great products...great customer service...if your worried about fitment..take your car to a local shop so they can mock up everything on your specific vehicle..just because it doesnt fit doesnt mean its junk..how can you expect a perfect mock up without having your vehicle in their garage? and i dont see how you can blame the supplier on manufacturers dud products
Old 05-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had problems with the cold side piping also. Pretty much what the others said and the most noticeable pipe (in the engine bay) is pieced together in sections and wasn't joined straight so there's a slight kink that unfortunately I hope no one would notice but of course people did. Besides that....👍
Old 05-14-2015, 04:42 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LSTurbo23
if your worried about fitment..take your car to a local shop so they can mock up everything on your specific vehicle..just because it doesnt fit doesnt mean its junk..how can you expect a perfect mock up without having your vehicle in their garage?
This is just ill logic. If you have an aftermarket intake manifold, out of factory chassis engine swap, or something abnormal then I could understand, possibly - maybe. When the company claims that a product fits and it doesn't and you pay a premium price for it on top of it, that is a major issue. If it was labeled "universal kit", then it obviously is not for a specific model.

When you have a completely stock vehicle, there shouldn't be a single fitment issue. Honda is VERY good about quality control when it comes to these things. Aside from everything above if it isn't junk when it can't function then how about missing welds as well as pipes at random angles out of intercoolers causing fitment issues when straight was defined?

Don't get me wrong, I used to recommend them too based off pictures and words, but after 3 separate purchases across a couple years all with issues, I can't be the only one and obviously I am not. Most people just don't come crying and making threads about it. Honestly, the only reason I am even talking about it is because I refuse to do business with them anymore. I understand **** happens, but they also shouldn't be praised for obvious lack of quality control. There was even admission that QC has dropped due to expansion which is still unacceptable for a custom shop in my opinion. The whole point of paying a custom shop is for a customized fit.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for input guys. I really like the idea of a one-stop-shop for a complete kit but fitment is important to me too.

I looked into Spooling performance but there isn't a CRX-specific kit.

Are there any other places like Go-Autoworks who provide complete kits?

How about the Shodan - do you offer a kit?
Old 05-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I have heard someone down turbonetics. Personally they are better than precision. My 5457 has been abused for 5k miles. Sounds like you were not running proper size oil restictor. For price I am very pleased with my Go-autoworks kit. If your car goes to his shop, fitment will be perfect. Using a jig to make a kit can have slight variances in fitment.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:51 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 7rrivera7
How about the Shodan - do you offer a kit?
Sorry. I'm afraid not. I work with about 15 different platforms for turbocharger and it's supplementals.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was running a -3an line with a vibrant oil restrictor on the turbonetics 6165. I don't blame Greg for the turbo being ****, but if you search on line he's pretty much the only guy that carries them.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:05 AM

In Turbonetics defense, the Vibrant restrictors are pretty crappy to begin with. Turbonetics had improved a lot over the years due to some changes that they made in their shaft and internal parts designs. Go-Auto isn't the only place that sells Turbonetics, there are lots of others, just not many companies specifically to Hondas our imports in general as much as they used to be.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lovehondas
I was running a -3an line with a vibrant oil restrictor on the turbonetics 6165. I don't blame Greg for the turbo being ****, but if you search on line he's pretty much the only guy that carries them.
maybe you didnt get the message. but greg specifically said do not run a restrictor on the tga units.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trickeng
Go-Autoworks is a great company and while every company will have people who are not happy with them, Greg's percentage for happy customers is VERY high.
truth
Old 05-16-2015, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ls joker
maybe you didnt get the message. but greg specifically said do not run a restrictor on the tga units.
Precision makes the same mistaken generalization of their turbos as well, which has cost them dearly. Greg's TGA units follow the same protocols as the other CHRAs of the Turbonetics lines, from Thumper to GT-K series. This is no different.

Just like with Precision, Garrett and other similarly styled turbochargers, they all need a type of regulation (aka "restriction") the question is what oil pressure level is their turbo's specification range for optimal use.

Since these seem to share within the same family as the GT-K CHRAs, which uses a "big shaft" turbine shaft that requires more oil lubrication, similar to a larger-framed Borg-Warner, they don't require much of a regulation as long as the oil pressure is less than 90psi at the line itself..

Due to the general fact that most B-series and D-series don't see anymore than about 65-80psi of oil pressure, (depending upon oil weight, and the size line used), in most cases, Greg is correct, you don't need a restrictor (If you're a B-series or D-series engine without a shimmed or otherwise modified oil pump system.. BUT, if you're a K-series engine that easily sees about 100psi-120psi at its oil lines, you'll need about a .080" restrictor, in their 1/4NPT feed fitting size.

So, its never a matter of 'Yes' or 'No' when it comes to the use of a restrictor, its a matter of 'If,', 'Then', and 'Therefore use.'
Old 05-16-2015, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Precision makes the same mistaken generalization of their turbos as well, which has cost them dearly. Greg's TGA units follow the same protocols as the other CHRAs of the Turbonetics lines, from Thumper to GT-K series. This is no different.

Just like with Precision, Garrett and other similarly styled turbochargers, they all need a type of regulation (aka "restriction") the question is what oil pressure level is their turbo's specification range for optimal use.

Since these seem to share within the same family as the GT-K CHRAs, which uses a "big shaft" turbine shaft that requires more oil lubrication, similar to a larger-framed Borg-Warner, they don't require much of a regulation as long as the oil pressure is less than 90psi at the line itself..

Due to the general fact that most B-series and D-series don't see anymore than about 65-80psi of oil pressure, (depending upon oil weight, and the size line used), in most cases, Greg is correct, you don't need a restrictor (If you're a B-series or D-series engine without a shimmed or otherwise modified oil pump system.. BUT, if you're a K-series engine that easily sees about 100psi-120psi at its oil lines, you'll need about a .080" restrictor, in their 1/4NPT feed fitting size.

So, its never a matter of 'Yes' or 'No' when it comes to the use of a restrictor, its a matter of 'If,', 'Then', and 'Therefore use.'
you know what, thanks for clearing that up. he seemed be vague on info after i repeatly bugged him bout the oil restrictor. but he did mention that turbonetics require more of clean filtered oil on the shafts rather than a restrictor.

also thanks for bringing up the kseriez oil pump pressure. my friend with the kraftwerks 07 si, is selling his kraftwerks kit and goin turbo. he was wanting to buy my 6157.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so is it possible that the one 6165 user starve his turbo using a restrictor thrn.

Quick Reply: Go-Autoworks Turbo Kits