Notices

general boosting question???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default general boosting question???

I have a b16 with a drag kit. generally speaking without giving fuel and ignition mods what kind of boost levels can I run with pauter rods and JE 9:1 pistons. should I invest in a blockguard?? I hear ALOT of bad things about motor overheating and what not. probably going to invest in a C&R radiator but not yet. my goal is to be at 17-18 ppounds at the track

also what headgasket and rings are you guys using??? I hear good things about f-max hg's but a shop around here is trying to sell me cometic saying these are the greatest gaskets since sliced bread. lookin for reliability here more then raw power.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:45 PM
New User

Default Re: general boosting question??? (92JDMSiR)

im not too experienced with headgaskets, but ive heard good things about inlinepro. i havent heard that much feedback on the fmax hgs. heard a few good things about cometic, too.

17-18 lbs is alot of boost. you should consider getting yourself a hondata. i know thats what you didnt wanna hear... but dammit... you gotta do if youre gonna run that much boost.

with your upgraded internals.. id say you can run 12lbs safely.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres the problem. Tunning makes all the difference in the world. Just because you have upgraded pistons and rods does not make them indestuctable. You can boost more on a stock motor with a engine managment unit then with a built motor and nothing to tune. No reason to spend the time and money on the other stuff. You have to give details on the other stuff if you want a real answer. If your motor detonates...your gonna blow it if your stock or built. No need for the inline pro head gasket. Thats why you already put in low compresion pistons right? Try a block guard though. Do one that fills the whole jacket and doesnt just pin the sides. Lots of brands have made the adjustments to let the coolant flow...Newforms...If the tunnings good...17 pounds with the block guard all day
Old 04-08-2002, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cometic .......they are reuseable too
Old 04-08-2002, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, 17-18psi is a lot of boost. I know you have rods and pistons, but if you are looking to run that much boost i would HIGHLY recommend resleeving your block with iron-ductile cylinder walls. Darton has a kit out now that will convert your block to a closed deck set up, therefore you will not need a block guard. But if you just resleeve it and keep it open deck, a block guard always helps. I dont recommend boosting that high with stock sylinder walls. If you do, then i hope you have a VERY GOOD engine management system as well as having it tuned close to perfect. There is only a certain amount of pressure your stock cylinder walls can take until they give out and crack. Yes doing more mods and tuning can prevent this, but there will be a certain point where you NEED iron sleeves. As of right now, i think 11-12psi on the street should be safe with your current mods. Remember, tuning is the key.

As far as a headgasket, try http://www.inlinepro.com or r-ideal headgaskets. Honda headgaskets are supposed to handle up to about 500hp i believe. The compression you are at right now is perfect for turbo so i wouldnt buy a headgasket that will lower it even more. Im using hastings piston rings and im happy with them, JE told me that hastings and JE rings are the SAME, they just box them differently. An upgraded radiator will also help you out tremendously, get some slim fans also, SUMMIT has some really nice slim fit fans that arent as expensive as the FAL's. Fluidyne and C&R are both great radiators, its just a matter of preference.

[Modified by GudeH23a, 5:13 AM 4/8/2002]

[Modified by GudeH23a, 5:13 AM 4/8/2002]
Old 04-08-2002, 07:11 AM

That's alot of boost, I really recommend sleeving the block. I have never tried a block gaurd, so I don't know much about them. I had my block sleeved by benson's. On head gasket i just use a stock honda gasket. We always use stock gaskets on all our cars and we've had no problems. I don't know what fuel and igntion you're going to be running, just make sure it's a god one. And yes tuning is the key. Just be careful how lean you run, that's how i melted my je pistons . But for that much boost I really recommend running a good stand alone unit. Hondata seems very good, I use dfi, but if I had the money I would go with speed pro. For radiators try fluidyne. The rings I'm using I'm not sure but they came with my arias pistons, they could be total seal.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: general boosting question??? (TURBOHB)

Dont use total seal.........................you want a little bit of leakage
also make sure they are high tension for a turbo car
Old 04-09-2002, 10:38 AM

Default Re: general boosting question??? (ninesecrx)

how do you know how much boost you can boost your stock turbo and valve train to before you start to have major problems?