Notices

garret gt17?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default garret gt17?

i have a garrett gt17 turbo from a slaab 95 i got from my friend. i have a stock obd1 b18b. he told me its good for up to 10 psi. i was wondering if its even worth it to try and use this turbo. it doesnt seem to have any play in the turbo compressor. i dont know why he took it out of the car but he said it was warrenty work so they just replaced it and a bunch of other stuff. i got it about 2 years ago so he doesnt remember why exactly he took it out. i dont know much about turbos and im learning slowly about them. i just want to know if anybody has run this exact turbo and if its even worth it. i just want to run about 3-5psi and get a little bit more trq.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: garret gt17?

also is there a place i can get a rebuild kit for it. for this exact turbo? i have the down pipe and this car is not my dd. im going to be building a motor over the next year or 2 and this car is only getting about 1-2k miles a year so im not worried about it blowing up anytime soon. i just did a head gasket and head bolts and the car has good compression in all cylinders. im just wondering if its worth it to go through getting all the piping and other parts needed to run a turbo. i have a friend with all the nessecary piping for a da and most of the stuff i would need. i just need to mnow if i would need injectors, bigger fuel pump and what not since its such a small turbo. i read around that they were known for going bad around 20k but this motor will not be seeing many miles before its rebuilt. im just weighing my options.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

probably not worth your time to use that small of a turbo. i assume it uses a t2 turbine inlet, which limits your manifold options. and even if you did get it on, it can probably only make like 200hp.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want saab powerband. Would be nice for a DD but your not really gonna be winning any races
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im only looking to get about 180-200whp. and im not looking to have a 11 sec car. i just want something with a little bit more trq and something to hold me over till i build my next motor. im gonna be building a b20v but im in the process of collecting parts. i just got a bunch of intercooler piping and a slaab intercooler from the guy i got this turbo from. he also has a t3 turbo from an old saab 900 classic. he said its a better turbo but he want more money for it. this turbo spins freely and he said it didnt smoke or anything when he took it off the car. the intercooler has plastic ends but he told me it would be good if im only running 5psi. i was reading that this gt17 is a good turbo for a mild application. the one guy was saying he liked it cause it spooled up really quick and there was almost no lag. this car is not my dd so im not worried about if the motor blows. i just did a new oem headgasket and head bolts. the motor has 188k on the blck and 195k on the head. the motor feels really good and pulls hard still so thats why im confident in a 3-5 psi setup.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
probably not worth your time to use that small of a turbo. i assume it uses a t2 turbine inlet, which limits your manifold options. and even if you did get it on, it can probably only make like 200hp.
i just ordered a t25 plate for the manifold so im thinking of getting one of those ebay tubular manifols and having my buddy weld the plate on to adapt the turbo to the manifold. the turbo has a built on wastegate and it is water cooled. but im not to sure about where the oil feed goes into. im gonna take some pics tonight of it and post them up.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tougetuned_ef
im only looking to get about 180-200whp. and im not looking to have a 11 sec car. i just want something with a little bit more trq and something to hold me over till i build my next motor. im gonna be building a b20v but im in the process of collecting parts. i just got a bunch of intercooler piping and a slaab intercooler from the guy i got this turbo from. he also has a t3 turbo from an old saab 900 classic. he said its a better turbo but he want more money for it. this turbo spins freely and he said it didnt smoke or anything when he took it off the car. the intercooler has plastic ends but he told me it would be good if im only running 5psi. i was reading that this gt17 is a good turbo for a mild application. the one guy was saying he liked it cause it spooled up really quick and there was almost no lag. this car is not my dd so im not worried about if the motor blows. i just did a new oem headgasket and head bolts. the motor has 188k on the blck and 195k on the head. the motor feels really good and pulls hard still so thats why im confident in a 3-5 psi setup.
Dont even waste your time or money..

Stay on your goal of the cr-vtec and use the $$ for this saab bullshit to fund the b20.

If your that hungry for more power, find a bottle and use a 50 shot. but why spend $$ elsewhere when you can get your goal done that much sooner by scraping this saab fascination.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
Dont even waste your time or money..

Stay on your goal of the cr-vtec and use the $$ for this saab bullshit to fund the b20.

If your that hungry for more power, find a bottle and use a 50 shot. but why spend $$ elsewhere when you can get your goal done that much sooner by scraping this saab fascination.
the reason for the saab stuff is cause my buddy works for saab and thats where most of the parts are coming from. alot of it is free. im not gonna slap nitrous on this motor. i already have most of the intercooler piping bov, turbo, dp, intercooler that fits good, dsm injectors. its gonna cost me about $300 all together. alot of these parts were givin to me. alot of the welding and fabing will be done by myself or my buddy who is an awsome welder and has alot of experience with turboed hondas. im gonna do this turbo but im just wondering if this turbo is ok or if i should buy my buddies t3 saab 900 classic turbo for $50 i have some of the stuff for my b20 but its gonna take me a couple of years before i get to putting it all together. i already have a b20 block with no sleeves and crank, and a b16 yeah with no valves, springs, or retainers which im gonna do all new aftermarket valves anyway. im waiting till i start working again to start getting more parts toward the b20v.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

If you're that insistent on using this "in the meantime", there's really nothing we can say to you pro or con, as it seems as though your labor and parts costs are extremely low. All you're going to do is debate as to why you think you should, and go with it, regardless of feedback from us on the forum. Its interesting that many people so-called "ask" for other opinions, just to end up not listening to those that are truly "in the know" and go with their choice regardless. I'm not saying that's bad, I mean, we all must make that choice, its just that its pointless to go through this kind of debate on the forum when we have no idea what level of resources are at your disposal, or why you're doing this. Only you can answer those questions.

So with all that said, all we can say is.....try it out, and let us know how you like it. ;-)
Old 10-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
If you're that insistent on using this "in the meantime", there's really nothing we can say to you pro or con, as it seems as though your labor and parts costs are extremely low. All you're going to do is debate as to why you think you should, and go with it, regardless of feedback from us on the forum. Its interesting that many people so-called "ask" for other opinions, just to end up not listening to those that are truly "in the know" and go with their choice regardless. I'm not saying that's bad, I mean, we all must make that choice, its just that its pointless to go through this kind of debate on the forum when we have no idea what level of resources are at your disposal, or why you're doing this. Only you can answer those questions.

So with all that said, all we can say is.....try it out, and let us know how you like it. ;-)
i wasnt asking weather i should go turbo or not i was asking about opinions on the gt17 turbo. weather or not anybody has used it and if they did if it was a piece of **** or should i go with my buddies t3 turbo. thats all. im aware of the cost and kind of aware of what i need for this to work. total i have spent $150 and that was for the ebay manifold that my buddy is gonna sure up for me once i get it. i already have 70% of the piping, intercooler, bov, and the wastegate is built onto the turbo. like i said, its gonna be a couple of years before i go through with this b20v and i might even decide on boosting the b20 when im buying pistons and what not. the motor i am gonna build is already gonna be all forged inturnals and sleeved anyway so when im ready to get pistons and head gasket, thats when ill decide on weather or not to boost th b20. but for the next 2-3 years i would like my da to have a little more ballz!

ive been reading that people that do d motors like to use this turbo cause its small and spools quickly. and that its not too outrageous for such a weak little motor. others on the same thread said that it was a piece of **** that would go bad after 20k. but that wasnt ht which i know the guys on here know what they are talking about besides the guy above that told me to go nitrous. this car is gonna see 20k miles in about 10-12 years cause of how little it will be driven. i have def decided to boost for now and this will prolly get done over the winter. i just found a used original afc on ebay that im gonna pick up soon for $120 shipped. and my buddy has a 3 bar map sensor hes gonna sell me.

so to clear things up this is not a post about weather i should boost or not its just a question about opinions on this gt17 or a t3. thats all
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Look carefully as to the responses you've received so far. we understood the question. it wasn't about whether or not to turbo, it was whether or not to use THAT GT17 turbo. You'll see a consensus that the answer is no.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look carefully as to the responses you've received so far. we understood the question. it wasn't about whether or not to turbo, it was whether or not to use THAT GT17 turbo. You'll see a consensus that the answer is no.

yeah the replies either said its only goona get me to about 200whp, which is my goal cause i dont want to push this motor too much, another said if you want the saab power band that it would be good for a dd but wont win me any races, and wnother said to use nitrous, the next said im too obsesed with saab stuff and that really it.

i know its a really small turbo and i know im not gonna get much power. im not looking to make a drag car. i just want something with a little pep. nobody has givin me a really good reason as to why i should not use this turbo. would the t3 be a better turbo to use? cause all i have to do is give him this one back and $50 and he will give me a good t3 turbo that he has in his shop. is this the better route? im not gonna buy a cheap bigass turbo from ebay thts not reliable and im not gonna spend $1000 on a decent t3t4. im not reving this thing to 7300 so im not worried about it running out of boost. i want something that will be easy to tune, not to bad on gas, reliable, and not expensive. imnot trying to argue about this i just wanted some feedback on this turbo or on the t3. i want to know if anybody has used this on their setup before or know of someone who has? again i know its small and i know im not gonna see much. i only want to run 3-5psi so im not boosting super hot air into my motor
Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 PM

integrating this turbo into some sort of manifold with the correct flanges is a bitch, no matter what your resources. If you then change your mind and go to a T3 based setup, since this is only "temporary", you're going to be doing twice the work again to get the new T3 flanged setup to fit as opposed to simply looking at something a little more universal, so if you decide to upgrade, or change, there is less of a likelihood of you having to change every part to do so. Not to mention you should never, ever run a turbo at its maximum capacity in order to get your goal. in this case, you'd just be blowing hot air into your combustion chamber. So what people were saying is that it is a waste of your time and resources as you will more than likely put this thing on, enjoy your 140whp you may have, then have the audacity to ask what can you do to this turbo that you got for $50 to make it better, in which someone will eventually say, "pitch it, and get something else that will work with an entirely new T3 flange based system. Now if you want to go ebay, hehe.. you're on your own, my friend.

So, in essence you've been getting feedback.. they don't say it directly. Find something else. Is that better? FIND SOMETHING ELSE, AS THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME and your unique resources.

Or hell, do whatever you want. its your car, you gotta do what you feel is best for your needs, ya know? =-)
Old 10-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well im gonna talk to my buddy and trade him for the t3 turbo. i see what you are saying. after i get this thing setup and tuned within the next 3-4 months i will post the results. im gonna have it dynoed and post my results to see what an old saab turbo can do. i found an older apexi afc. the older black box one. is this ok for what im doing. its only $86 shipped and im on a tight budget so im wondering if this is sufficient. like i said, im new to turbo setups

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APEXI...#ht_1963wt_941
Old 10-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well im gonna talk to my buddy and trade him for the t3 turbo. i see what you are saying. after i get this thing setup and tuned within the next 3-4 months i will post the results. im gonna have it dynoed and post my results to see what an old saab turbo can do. i found an older apexi afc. the older black box one. is this ok for what im doing. its only $86 shipped and im on a tight budget so im wondering if this is sufficient. like i said, im new to turbo setups

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APEXI...#ht_1963wt_941
nope wont work....waste of money even for non boosted cars.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2k.civic.si
nope wont work....waste of money even for non boosted cars.
what the afc? whatshould i be using. should i use the newer afc?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what the afc? whatshould i be using. should i use the newer afc?
afc is only for slighty modified cars that are not boosted. the correct way will require a chipped ecu and tuning software.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 PM

oh boy.. this is gonna get ugly.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh boy.. this is gonna get ugly.
ya i can see it already...junk gt17 turbo and an afc to tune it. next thing he will be asking about check valves and fmu's.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whatever im just trying to learn about this ****. is been reading alot of the FI faqs and trying to learn. ive never dealt with anything but oem motors and bolt ones. sorry if i thought this was a place to ask questions and get some answers. im only going off of what ive learned from 2 people that im friends with that have had turboed hondas. im just gonna leave it alone and learn this **** on my own cause apperently ive annoyed everyone on this thread! gotta learn somehow and i guess honda-tech is only for people who know what they are talking about already.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:37 PM

No. (man, you are sensitive.. thicken your skin up..what's wrong you kids these days?). What's happening is that the FAQs show a LOT more than you're believing. It addresses these issues of using this type of "management" for the use of turbocharged cars. Many here haven't used that device to "tune" anything since 2002, when Hondata was too expensive to even use most of the time.

Because a lot of beginners look at AFC for some reason, it opens the flood-gates to people much more sarcastic, arrogant or uninformative than myself or 2k.civic.si could EVER be. If this is how you're reacting to us now, maybe you should get out of here, because it just gets cold as ICE after something like this..

There are a TON of choices that are out there besides that ancient fuel setup that doesn't address timing or any of the other important factors that are needed when you're deciding to turbocharge. Check out the Engine Management section of the Forum to look at the most viable choices based upon your budget. From Neptune RTP, EcTune, AEM EMS, Hondata, the list goes on. But this forum is a bit harsh for not "spoon feeding' information from maybe the other ones you've encountered so you gotta do some checking around first before posting a thread with a question like that.

(I see your post count and join date.. are you really that surprised that you're receiving responses like this?.)

My goodnes..
Is this why cyberbullying is so potent for people in 2010? making people jump off a bridge because they can't handle a little criticism on a damn webforum?
Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not a ***** or anything im just not gonna sit here while people talk ****. one of my good friends told me he stopped using honda-tech all together cause of the way people act on this site like the kills thread that used to be on here. and im starting to see it. the kills guys were f**king jerkoffs that should have been banned before this site was redone. the only reason i said anything about afc is cause a buddy of mine told me i could run this turbo with an afc, vband or whatever that is and a 3bar map sensor. like i said im new to turbos. im not an idiot. i just rebuilt a car from the ground up that was owned by a spring torching retard! replacing every suspension piece possible and alot of other things that im guessing your average person could not do like timing belt, valvelash, headgasket.

like i said im learning slowly about turbo setups. im not sitting here on this thread only. i am reading, alot. so much my wife's getting pissed cause i just got this new macbook and i seem to be on it even when we are in bed at night watching tv, im reading about turbo setups. so if you could nicely help me out here. you have obviously taken the time to tell me all about how useing this turbo is dumb, maybe you could give me a little insight into what i should go with. i found a distributor for hondata thats kind of close to me (75miles away) and im gonna call them up and send out an obd1 ls ecu to have chipped and then when the car is all together im gonna have them tune it for me. i was reading on hondata and what im gathering is that i only really need s100 tune. am i wrong in this assumption. can this be done to non vtec ecu's? i didnt read anything about ls setups.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My goodnes..
Is this why cyberbullying is so potent for people in 2010? making people jump off a bridge because they can't handle a little criticism on a damn webforum?
that kid was tortured online by alot of people. he was gay so he was probably a big p***y and couldnt handle it. im a grown *** man and im not gonna go off the deep end. i read the thread rules and it says verbatum, "Respect all users, including new ones just because you've been around doesn't give you the right to be an ***. Unless you have something constructive to add keep it to yourself. " im just sayin i would like some help. im asking these things cause i dont know, i gotta learn somewhere. and im not one of those guys that just posts up "PLZ HELP" i do read and do research.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

doesnt matter now cause i was just out doing some spirited driving heard a very terrible noise. i pulled over as soon as i heard it and when i was inspecting the enigine i noticed my timing belt was all chewed up along the left(engine side) of the belt. the belt is very loose and has way too much play. i do not have a timing cover on the top portion of the belt so i think something fell into the belt area. the cams appear to be pointed in the same direction so i think im good on the valve side of things. this is gonna slow me down a bit so i guess i gotta focus on this right now before i start putting this turbo together. damn i was having such a good time before this happened
Old 10-10-2010, 02:51 PM

Well. talking like that doesn't make you sound that "grown", but I suppose some people react more aggressively on these things than others do. Just remember. Its a forum, its words, and sentences. there's no point getting your blood pressure all high because someone "talked ****". My goodness, If you're "grown", then stop worrying about the particulars of the response and get to your task at hand. that's the only way you're going to get it done on this or any other web media without wanting to just kill somebody.

My condolences on your engine issue, as these things unfortunately happen. ( made sure my valve cover was moon cut to avoid what happened to you, as I was clo as making sure that the health of you engine is up to par before going into something like turbocharging. So when you get that back together, if you still decide on turbocharging, restart your thread here, and folks can start helping you. As for your friend, remember this; not all turbocharging is the same. Using an SAFC with a 3 bar doesn't do anything but stall the car. He seems to know JUST ENOUGH to be considered "dangerous". I know he's your friend, but for turbo honda advise... Nah..time to look elsewhere

As for the Hondata S100 question. NO. go with S300 version (yes, we know its more expensive) and don't look back to the previous models. Those are about to be phased out sooner than later anyway. Myself, and I'm sure many others would be HAPPY to help as long as the respect between one another stays paramount. After all, this is for the love of Hondas.. The Power of Dreams.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: garret gt17?