Notices

fuses keep popping, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuses keep popping, please help (k-series turbo)

asked in another forum, but maybe better results here... thanks in advance!

What other sensors are on the same circuit as the ecu fuse circuit thats under the hood in the fuse box.
Well we were tuning car on the dyno and shut the car off to cool. Went to start it up again and didn't start. The ECU fuse under the hood was popped. We changed it and popped 2 more.

Checked out all the gounds on manifold, valve cover, tranny, were all good. The only change was we added a resister box for the 880cc injectors yesterday but since yesterday it was running as well as today it was running.

BTW its a EG chassis with a K-Swap on K-Pro w/ a hasport harness.
we just unhooked the plug that plugs into the where the old relay would plug into and it didn't pop it when we turned the key on.

So then we plugged it back in and un-plugged the harness of the ecu and still it didn't pop it. So we plugged the ecu back in and POP!

Modified by fieldafm at 7:46 PM 12/30/2005
Old 12-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: fuses keep popping, please help (fieldafm)

well it is obvious you have a dead short somewhere. if i remember, the ecu fuse powers all the sensor reference voltages. i dont have a helms in front of me, but do this, put a headlight bulb, yes i am serious, in place of the fuse. solder wires onto it, and plud it in where the fuse is, the headlight will provide enough resistence to not smoke the circuit, then unplug each part of the harness. then plug them in one at a time, the connector that sends the headlight into supernova mode, you will know which harness it is in, then unplug it, and take a jumper wire, and jump each individual wire and see when the light goes bright again. then it will tell you what wire the short is in.

HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE. i learned it at lexus school to trace dead shorts. it is complicated to explain, but it is simple in principal.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Very Emergency!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: fuses keep popping, please help (fieldafm)

i had the same problem after i switch injectors and tucked the wires under the intake manifold. everytime i would turn on the key, pop, there went the ecu fuse. it turned out to be the injector wires grounding out. i moved them around and heat shrunk the wires and it worked. good luck man.