Notices

Fuel Pressure Vs. Maxed Walbro Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Vs. Maxed Walbro Fuel Pump

Before anyone says anything, I am not looking to upgrade the walbro to a bosche or looking to get a dual setup or do an inline or anything of that sort. I'm just gonna max the one pump and be done.

I've been trying to do some calculations before setting the base fuel pressure/tune and to try and cheap/eek out and balance the fuel flow between the pump and the injectors and my power goal.

So let's say this single walbro max'd at 618whp a 40 psi base fuel pressure , 65 total fuel pressure (25 psi)

I turn down the base fuel pressure 10 psi to 30 psi, run 26-27 psi making the total pressure 56-57 psi giving the fuel pump less work by 8 psi.

Is there a theoretical way I could guesstimate and calculate how much more room (horsepower-wise) I'm potentially giving the pump by running 7 psi less overall fuel pressure?
I have plenty of room in injector to allow the pump to run less fuel pressure.

I'm just trying to get another 20-30whp outta it possibly.

Last edited by TurboSpoolinInside; 07-23-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel Pressure Vs. Maxed Walbro Fuel Pump

http://www.autoperformanceengineerin...l/fpspecs.html
Old 07-24-2011, 12:58 PM
met
Honda-Tech Member

I would say play with it, in my experience your doing real well on a single walbro pump. I really think either I'm getting bad pumps or the typical walbro can only flow enough fuel for about 500whp. I have been through 3 of them, all bought from reputable dealers. When you at the tuner next time just lower the pressure and have him bump the map up and watch for the pressure to drop. Just another option would be a voltage regulator so you can get that little extra.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by met
I would say play with it, in my experience your doing real well on a single walbro pump. I really think either I'm getting bad pumps or the typical walbro can only flow enough fuel for about 500whp. I have been through 3 of them, all bought from reputable dealers. When you at the tuner next time just lower the pressure and have him bump the map up and watch for the pressure to drop. Just another option would be a voltage regulator so you can get that little extra.
Scratch this question. My FPR can run the lowest of 40 psi base fuel pressure anyways and I'm not gonna switch it out just to get a little more power; I'll just wait til I can get a boost a pump or dual pumps. :-/

I have had good luck with walbros. Back in the day I made 617whp on a non-modded single pump on my 1g DSM at 37 base fuel pressure.

The 618whp isn't my car though. It is another local's car that maxed out last month on a single modd'd and rewired walbro.

We'll see what mine maxes out at this week when I tune. I turned the fuel pressure down from 50 to 40, so we'll see how it goes, wish me luck on this stock longblock and all!