Notices

fuel pressure questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure questions

i also posted this in the normal TECH section, but i thought i might get better advice here

anyway, i'm trying to design a fuel system use on my nitrous car that i'm building. originally i was going to use a seperate fuel cell to feed my nitrous system, but have since decided stick with the street car idea, so no go on the fuel cell idea.
anyway i'm trying to decide on a pump and regulator combo. i'm going to use a Y fitting somewhere before the fuel rail with one line going to the rail, the other to a regulator, and then the fuel solenoid.

now my problem is, i'm wanting to run my fuel for the nitrous system in the 7-12psi range as apposed to say 40-45 for the motor.

so my questions are what kind of fuel pressure is coming out of the fuel pump, whether it be an intank or inline, and is there a FPR that can RELIABLY bring that pressure down into the range i'm looking for. also, i have one of the standard little holley regulators that i was going to originally going to use, do you think it's up to job of making that big of a drop in fuel pressure?

thanks in advance
Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: fuel pressure questions (JSpin)

The long and short of it is that what you ask is not possible in a static situation. The only device that can reduce pressure in one line without affecting another is a throttle (restrictor), and these only work while fuel is flowing.

The solution then, is simple. Don't worry about the fuel pressure in the nitrous system, just use the properly sized fuel jet (that's the throttle) in your nossles. It is possible to calculate how much smaller the jet would have to be to make the nitrous system react the same as it would in a carburated motor with low fuel pressure. (Hint: Use Bernoulli's equation )
Old 01-21-2005, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: fuel pressure questions (beepy)

wow, i feel kinda dumb on this one..........of course i cant use a seperate regulator without effecting everything else. i dont know why i had to have someone else say it; but thanks.

i was hoping to say low pressure for my nitrous setup, it's time to rethink this whole setup